FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   CBSA: formerly, Immigration Canada. The nightmare ends? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1359857-cbsa-formerly-immigration-canada-nightmare-ends.html)

redtailshark Jun 24, 2012 12:05 am

CBSA: formerly, Immigration Canada. The nightmare ends?

A favorite subject of the FF community of late. Immigration Canada had become one of the worst experiences. For me too.

But.... at my last encounter with IC - CBSA, now, I think - the agents were uncommonly civilized and, gasp, helpful. This was at YUL.

As you know, previous experiences at YYZ and YVR have been, well, among the worst experiences ever. The treatment at YVR in particular excelled even the US former INS when I was a non-immigrant :eek: That was a Kafkaesque nightmare.

This time, to my surprise, multiple secondaries were adjudicated unnecessary. Only required at Immigration and not Customs. When I self-reported for secondary at primary inspection, the inspector asked, "Why"? After checking the record, the guy said, "OK, off you go but I can't see the need for this" [neither can I, but that's not what they said before]

This time was the secondary inspector stated "I don't know why you're here." After a brief check, "Ah, I see, but this was almost twenty years ago, and is a minor infraction. I will forward a request to have this removed from the record."

This would be awesome - if it were to mean no more three-hour entries into Canada, no more secondary by Kafkaesque officials both at Immigration, and then with the scarlet X, at Customs. Which is what has been happening over the past several years.

This might allow me to make more use of THE OPULENT AC 333 instead of the THREADBARE UA763 for example.

Antonio8069 Jun 24, 2012 6:37 am

TSA secure traveler card

Sounds like you need to get a NEXUS/Global Traveler card!

Braindrain Jun 24, 2012 11:08 am

Sounds like he can't, since his record isn't "clean". The story I got out of that is never fool around with Customs since any infractions can have a lifespan of 20 years or more. ;)

tcook052 Jun 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 18810938)
Sounds like you need to get a NEXUS/Global Traveler card!

I don't know how I lived without mine.

morphius909 Jul 2, 2012 8:55 am

I know a lot of CBSA officers by nature of my job.

It is NOT a fun place to work, the old timers are entitled which makes the environment dreadful and the pay isn't that great. I know some excellent officers but the overall environment sucks.

Even working with them on a professional and equal (i.e. Federal to Federal Dept basis), it is a pain dealing with them.

Nexus/GE are your best friends.

ls17031 Jul 2, 2012 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by morphius909 (Post 18857065)
I know a lot of CBSA officers by nature of my job.

It is NOT a fun place to work, the old timers are entitled which makes the environment dreadful and the pay isn't that great. I know some excellent officers but the overall environment sucks.

Even working with them on a professional and equal (i.e. Federal to Federal Dept basis), it is a pain dealing with them.

Nexus/GE are your best friends.

Yeah, it must really be a drag for the 22 year-olds who are used to feeling so entitled in everything else they do in life to realize that nothing makes up for years of service (or life for that matter). I've been on the job for 15 years, and the people starting these days want EXACTLY the same postings, vacation days and shifts that I had to put my time in to achieve and earn. The pushback towards reality is what makes the "environment dreadful," but this is caused by the attitude of the new hires, not the experienced officers. Trust me.

BTW, look up the FB-03 pay scale. It's almost doubled since I started. We're not all complaining, maybe those that you talk to all have something in common...

morphius909 Jul 4, 2012 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ls17031 (Post 18861377)
Yeah, it must really be a drag for the 22 year-olds who are used to feeling so entitled in everything else they do in life to realize that nothing makes up for years of service (or life for that matter). I've been on the job for 15 years, and the people starting these days want EXACTLY the same postings, vacation days and shifts that I had to put my time in to achieve and earn. The pushback towards reality is what makes the "environment dreadful," but this is caused by the attitude of the new hires, not the experienced officers. Trust me.

BTW, look up the FB-03 pay scale. It's almost doubled since I started. We're not all complaining, maybe those that you talk to all have something in common...

Is FB-03 the typical Border Officer?

ls17031 Jul 9, 2012 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by morphius909 (Post 18870245)
Is FB-03 the typical Border Officer?

Sorry, was off on leave.

Yes, BSO's are FB-03.