Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

How Long Before Flight to US do I Need to Get to YYZ with Carry-On and Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Long Before Flight to US do I Need to Get to YYZ with Carry-On and Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

I am going to be flying from YYZ to the US at 13:45 on a Wednesday in July. I will have hand baggage only, and have Global Entry.

How long in advance do I need to get there? Is the Canadian Equivalent of the TSA check before or after US passport control/customs?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I am going to be flying from YYZ to the US at 13:45 on a Wednesday in July. I will have hand baggage only, and have Global Entry.

How long in advance do I need to get there? Is the Canadian Equivalent of the TSA check before or after US passport control/customs?
At peak times the line for US preclearance extends outside the room, I cannot recall if Global entry allows you to bypass that line but I do not think it does. Someone may contradict me, so Sunday PM/Monday AM Thursday and Friday PM leave extra time.

The CATSA security clearance is AFTER the US border services and customs checkpoints.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Originally Posted by Bytepusher
At peak times the line for US preclearance extends outside the room, I cannot recall if Global entry allows you to bypass that line but I do not think it does. Someone may contradict me, so Sunday PM/Monday AM Thursday and Friday PM leave extra time.

The CATSA security clearance is AFTER the US border services and customs checkpoints.
Nexus and GE olders can bypass the line into the CBP hall. just show your card to the hall dragon.

The hold up is the CATSA post CBP. There is no quick lines through that.

midweek early afternoon departures are usually not as crowded. Just to be sure I would use the airline's 90 minutes BUT I have completed the whole process and arrived at departure gate in less than 10 minutes.

I personally plan 90 minutes from parking at the extended parking lot and taking the train back to the terminal. I have priority check in; which is a must for YYZ to US for passport/travel document check.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:49 pm

If you have an american express card u can use the priority line at security
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by J_Fleish
Doesn't it have to be the Platinum charge card, rather than just any AMEX card?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Does that work for immigration/customs as well? (turns our my travelling companion may not have a GE card after all.)

Originally Posted by J_Fleish
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:36 pm

Does that work for immigration/customs as well? (turns our my travelling companion may not have a GE card after all.)
As long as one is a GE member one can go to the kiosks. The GE card is needed at land borders, not airports. Presenting the AMEX Platinum card is useless and unnecessary in this case.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I wasn't clear - not a Global Entry member, he had to cancel his appointment.

Originally Posted by 14940674
As long as one is a GE member one can go to the kiosks. The GE card is needed at land borders, not airports. Presenting the AMEX Platinum card is useless and unnecessary in this case.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:50 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear - not a Global Entry member, he had to cancel his appointment.
He will have to undergo conventional CBP processing. There is no benefit he can gain from the Platinum Card at immigration or customs.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
If you have Nexus/GE you can skip all and any lines and just go to the machines.

For Security, last time i went through (few weeks ago), there was a Nexus Security line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.