FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Canadian citizen returning to Canada on Irish passport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1345133-canadian-citizen-returning-canada-irish-passport.html)

Lornag May 11, 2012 9:16 am

Canadian citizen returning to Canada on Irish passport

Hi.

I'd like people's opinions on the following.

I am using my Irish passport to travel to Paraguay later in May. My Canadian passport will be going to the Tajikistan embassy for a visa during that time. Consequently I will be returning to Canada with only the Irish passport. Will this be fine with the Canadian Immigration people or will I have issues?

Thanks,

Lorna

Academic May 11, 2012 9:30 am

They will likely ask how long you intend to stay, so it would be very helpful to have some other documentation to show that you are a Canadian citizen -- an expired passport, birth certificate (if applicable), or Citizenship Card would suffice.

PhotoJim May 11, 2012 9:36 am

I'd suggest making a photocopy of the photo pages of your Canadian passport. Explain to the Canadian Customs agent about why you are presenting your Irish passport, and I'm sure there won't be a big problem.

The real risk is that they can refuse you entry as an Irish person (not that that is likely) but not as a Canadian person. If you give them your Canadian passport details, they can look that information up if they need, so your right to enter will be preserved.

If you happen to have NEXUS or Canpass be sure to present that card too.

tentseller May 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Proof of Canadian citizenship (Citizenship ID, Birth Certificate + Photo ID) or PR (Maple Leaf card) is sufficient for Canadian entry.

BigFlyer May 26, 2012 2:15 am

The OP didn't state his place of birth.

If Canada, the Irish passport would say born in Canada, which would be proof of citizenship.

Originally Posted by Academic (Post 18555909)
They will likely ask how long you intend to stay, so it would be very helpful to have some other documentation to show that you are a Canadian citizen -- an expired passport, birth certificate (if applicable), or Citizenship Card would suffice.

zerogx May 26, 2012 3:25 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer (Post 18644689)
The OP didn't state his place of birth.

If Canada, the Irish passport would say born in Canada, which would be proof of citizenship.

Unless his dad was a diplomat, so they still need to do a few checks.

PhotoJim May 26, 2012 5:14 am

Originally Posted by zerogx (Post 18644811)
Unless his dad was a diplomat, so they still need to do a few checks.

Conrad Black's passport has a birthplace of Canada, but he is not a Canadian citizen. :)

There are a few circumstances where people can be born in Canada but not be, or no longer be, Canadian citizens.

tentseller May 26, 2012 2:00 pm

One can be born in Canada but due to obtaining citizenship/Lordship of certain countries might need to surrender Canadian citizenship.

SOLTATIO Jun 8, 2012 8:24 am

Many countries that allow dual citizenship and hence dual passports, require that in order for the dual citizenship to be approved and remain in force, the holder of the passport must enter his country of original citizenship (I'm assuming OP was a Canadian citizen before getting Irish citizenship), with the passport of the country of original citizenship and cannot enter with the passport of the "new"/"second" citizenship.

The example I have encountered was a South African obtaining Canadian citizenship later in his life and then trying to visit South Africa on his Canadian passport. He was refused entry as he held South African citizenship and needed to present his South African passport.

Cannot vouch for Canada or other countries, but I'd advise the OP to check with the local embassy.

ls17031 Jun 8, 2012 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by SOLTATIO (Post 18720989)

The example I have encountered was a South African obtaining Canadian citizenship later in his life and then trying to visit South Africa on his Canadian passport. He was refused entry as he held South African citizenship and needed to present his South African passport.

Cannot vouch for Canada or other countries, but I'd advise the OP to check with the local embassy.

This would not happen in Canada. At a port en entry once I establish that a person seeking entry is in fact a Canadian citizen I cannot refuse said entry.

BigFlyer Jun 8, 2012 5:50 pm

You are confusing concepts here.

The dual citizenship remains in force regardless of what passport one uses to exit or enter. There may well be rules about what passport one has to use, but those rules do not effect the underlying citizenship.

Re the South African/Canadian. It sounds like you are relating a story second-hand. It appears that the current South African policy is to allow the entry with the foreign passport and issue a warning: http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/h...ualcitinfo.htm

What is far more common is that countries will not let their dual citizens leave the country with their foreign passport. I have heard a number of stories (second hand) of people who were born in Israel or Argentina, with virtually no connection to he countries, going in as a tourist on a foreign passport and being required to get an Israeli or Argentine passport to leave.

Originally Posted by SOLTATIO (Post 18720989)
Many countries that allow dual citizenship and hence dual passports, require that in order for the dual citizenship to be approved and remain in force, the holder of the passport must enter his country of original citizenship (I'm assuming OP was a Canadian citizen before getting Irish citizenship), with the passport of the country of original citizenship and cannot enter with the passport of the "new"/"second" citizenship.

SOLTATIO Jun 10, 2012 1:31 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer (Post 18724138)
You are confusing concepts here.

Re the South African/Canadian. It sounds like you are relating a story second-hand. It appears that the current South African policy is to allow the entry with the foreign passport and issue a warning: http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/h...ualcitinfo.htm

Thanks for clarifying BigFlyer. That was a interesting read. Made me think of bygone days scrounging through legal articles and case law to find answers to impossible legal questions for law professors.

sandrar Jul 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Years ago, I became a US citizen. In those days, I had to give up my Canadian citizenship. A few years ago, the laws changed and I, along with hundreds of people in my situation, were given dual citizenship. Needless to say, I was thrilled. I wasted no time in getting my Canadian passport... which I have not yet had an occasion to use.

We'll be flying into Vancouver soon and boarding a ship that will cruise down the west coast, returning to Los Angeles, where I reside. I would like to use my Canadian passport when I fly into Vancouver... but I'll be using my US passport boarding the ship, because I must use it when I disembark the cruise in Los Angeles.

I called the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles and asked what they thought I should do... their answer was to only use my US passport. I'm not sure they gave me the correct advise. What do you think?

FlyingDiver Jul 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Use your Canadian PP to enter Canada, but give the ship your US PP info because you're disembarking in LA. There's no reason to enter Canada on your US PP, that's a totally distinct border event from the cruise.

joe

PhotoJim Jul 12, 2012 9:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDiver (Post 18907305)
Use your Canadian PP to enter Canada, but give the ship your US PP info because you're disembarking in LA. There's no reason to enter Canada on your US PP, that's a totally distinct border event from the cruise.

Always, always enter a country with that country's passport if you possess one. Only citizens have right of entry, and you have a citizen.