Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 week round trip from Montreal

2 week round trip from Montreal

Old Apr 8, 12, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Question 2 week round trip from Montreal

Hi,

My girlfriend and myself fly in to YUL on August 4 and leave again from YUL on August 18 (already booked).

Our basic plan is to stay 2-3 days in YUL and the get around in an RV (we have not seen any of Quebec or or Ontario yet).

As August is busy I guess I should book the RV asap, and these are the two options we are currently thinking off (we have a total of 14 days):

1.) Start and stop in Montreal (drive with RV e.g. something like Quebec, Tadoussac, cross St. Lorenz, Matane and some of the Gaspé peninsula, back to YUL)

2.) Fly from YUL to YYZ, see Toronto, the Niagara falls (though we could do this once with a trip form NYC as I'm there quite often)... and drive with an RV back to Montreal (potentially with a visit to Quebec).

Questions:
A) Basically the first question is if we should book the RV (any recommendations?) from and to YUL or if it is worth having an additional flight from YUL to YYZ and book the RV from YYZ to YUL (or something completely different)?

B) Any hints or personal "must-sees" we should plan into our trips (anything from hotels in YYZ, nice RV sites, good restaurants and nice spots/places is welcome)

thanks,
tom
Old Apr 9, 12, 10:30 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
I am not an RV person, but I've done similar road trips in QC in summer / fall staying at bed 'n' breakfasts, and very much enjoyed a route similar to your 1). I think this, potentially with a side-trip to Lac St-Jean and then a scenic drive down the Saguenay fjord, is a more "unique" and less touristy experience than suggestion 2).

YYZ and Niagara Falls are worth a visit, however they can be combined into a Toronto "city trip" and you do not need an RV for this at all.

BTW, if you do want to fly to Toronto, consider the much more convenient YUL-YTZ flights offered by AC and Porter.
Old Apr 9, 12, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by airoli View Post
BTW, if you do want to fly to Toronto, consider the much more convenient YUL-YTZ flights offered by AC and Porter.
There's also VIA Rail with several trains a day between Montreal and Toronto.....see the country instead of flying over it!
Old Apr 9, 12, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
You can save on two nights of accommodations by taking the overnight train between Toronto and Montreal
Old Apr 9, 12, 3:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SkyMiles, OnePass
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
You can save on two nights of accommodations by taking the overnight train between Toronto and Montreal
There hasn't been an overnight train between Toronto and Montreal for some time now.
Old Apr 9, 12, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by sabahanne View Post
There hasn't been an overnight train between Toronto and Montreal for some time now.
That is too bad. DW and I used to use that as a weekend getaway. Have dinner and drinks, then head to Union Station. The next morning you are in Montreal for the weekend. Repeat for Sunday night Montreal departure.
Old Apr 10, 12, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks to you all for the input!

As suggested by airoli we decided to go with option 1), therefore to rent an RV from and to Montreal (after 1-3 days in Montreal) and get around up north.

"RV" specific inputs (we are not used to RVs ) or hints in general are always welcome ^

cheers,
tom

Search this Thread
Search Engine: