Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada to "Get Rid of the Penny" by Summer

Old Apr 1, 12, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Sounds like a sensible plan; be sure to avoid picking too many up as you won't be able to exchange them after August:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...the-penny.html
Old Apr 1, 12, 8:12 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by oscietra View Post
...you won't be able to exchange them after August:
Yes you will http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...penny-faq.html
Old Apr 1, 12, 10:04 am

Who knew this would be such big news as to inspire at least a third thread LOL. See, Canada does rock LOL
Old Apr 2, 12, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I was attempting to watch the Juno Awards last night because of Blue Rodeo; I couldn't find a stream on the internet. Thankfully I found two people to record them for me. While I was hearing about the opening act, though, I realized, in the future, in change, I'll only get a Nickelback? I don't particularly want a Nickelback.
Old Apr 4, 12, 9:42 am

Good riddence, should have been done a long time ago, the only people who use pennies it the senior citizen who is in front of me at the grocery store.

I think they should get rid of the nickel too, nice and neat multiples of 0.10.
Old Apr 4, 12, 10:11 am
B1

Originally Posted by magsmeplease View Post
Good riddence, should have been done a long time ago, the only people who use pennies it the senior citizen who is in front of me at the grocery store.

I think they should get rid of the nickel too, nice and neat multiples of 0.10.
And extending the logic, the quarter should be replaced by 20 and 50 cent coins, as in the Euro currency. Whichever party adopts this plan has my vote in the next election.
Old Apr 5, 12, 3:47 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by oscietra View Post
Sounds like a sensible plan; be sure to avoid picking too many up as you won't be able to exchange them after August:[/url]
They'll be worth multiples of their face value within a couple of years, I expect. Any pennies rolled up and taken to tanks after the cutoff date will be melted down for their base metals.

Between that and people hoarding them for sentimental or collection reasons, I expect pennies will actually be quite valuable, relative to their face value. I will personally continue to go out of my way to grab pennies (within reason of course ), and none of mine are going to the bank.
Old Apr 9, 12, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
And I just dropped off a whole small bucket of pennies in YYC... You should have seen the security screeners look!!!!
Old Apr 10, 12, 10:54 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
And extending the logic, the quarter should be replaced by 20 and 50 cent coins, as in the Euro currency. Whichever party adopts this plan has my vote in the next election.
We have 50 cent coins but they're just not very popular. Personally, I've never seen the advantage of the 20 cent coin vs. a quarter.
Old Apr 10, 12, 1:38 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
We have 50 cent coins but they're just not very popular. Personally, I've never seen the advantage of the 20 cent coin vs. a quarter.
If you get rid of pennies and nickels, all your coins end in 0 now. You're using tenths of dollars (or euros, or whatever) instead of hundredths.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: