Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's up with the sniffer dog @ YOW??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question What's up with the sniffer dog @ YOW??

I caught AC 447 yesterday, YOW-YYZ. In the waiting area, 4 heavily armed OPP officers worked the crowd with a sniffer dog! One of the officers stashed a mysterious looking device in a black box behind the AC desk! What is up with that?
The dog was very friendly, planting its wet nose everywhere while its tail wagged like crazy! (Made me ask what they do if they detect something??)
The dog was clearly checking carry-on..........what does that say about CATSA screening??
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
It depends on what they're trained to sniff out. Sometimes is for seeds, fruits or animal products which may not show up on an x-ray.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
...(Made me ask what they do if they detect something??)
They sit down.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I caught AC 447 yesterday, YOW-YYZ. In the waiting area, 4 heavily armed OPP officers worked the crowd with a sniffer dog! One of the officers stashed a mysterious looking device in a black box behind the AC desk! What is up with that?
The dog was very friendly, planting its wet nose everywhere while its tail wagged like crazy! (Made me ask what they do if they detect something??)
The dog was clearly checking carry-on..........what does that say about CATSA screening??
"Heavily armed", or just armed?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by ls17031
"Heavily armed", or just armed?
Ha heavily armed is large biceps lol. One sniffer dog handler at YYZ luggage pickup has business cards for the dog with a picture and dogs name for the kids who want to pat the dog " dog cards calm the kids down" he said. Certain incoming flights are targeted for potential drug mules ie in-bound Jamaica in this case where country of origin departing inspections are poor. Unfortunately Children are often used so why the sniffer dog officer had the doggie cards for distraction/calming affect.

PS...OPP doesn't police YYZ its Peel Regional Police (PRP)
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Points Surfer
Ha heavily armed is large biceps lol. One sniffer dog handler at YYZ luggage pickup has business cards for the dog with a picture and dogs name for the kids who want to pat the dog " dog cards calm the kids down" he said. Certain incoming flights are targeted for potential drug mules ie in-bound Jamaica in this case where country of origin departing inspections are poor. Unfortunately Children are often used so why the sniffer dog officer had the doggie cards for distraction/calming affect.

PS...OPP doesn't police YYZ its Peel Regional Police (PRP)
Exactly. CBSA D.D.S. here at YUL just came out with a new batch of stickers for the kiddies. They're pretty sweet, I have to admit. (Slinks away to put one of the ones he picked up on the inside of his locker door...)
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
They had a dog at YQR a couple of weeks ago to meet several inbound flights, including ours from ORD. My 5-year-old nephew got one of those cards He was pretty tickled, and it worked well because he was very nervous about the dog at first.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:43 pm

Between it being "OPP", who usually don't work YOW; combined with something being put in the "black box" behind the AC desk; this sounds like a dog training exercise to me.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.