Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YUL Long Term Parking, Tips/Advice?

Old Jan 6, 12, 11:42 am
Original Poster

1st timer . . . Any tips or recommendations for Long term parking at YUL these days?
Going to leave my car for 10-12 days. I see a couple econo lots on the YUL website – Is there a difference between the 2?
I see warnings about construction in the area. Is this adding significant traffic delays?
I’m driving in from YOW. I know some members here do the drive often . . . Any tips on the quickets route would also be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jan 6, 12, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow View Post
1st timer . . . Any tips or recommendations for Long term parking at YUL these days?
Going to leave my car for 10-12 days. I see a couple econo lots on the YUL website – Is there a difference between the 2?
I see warnings about construction in the area. Is this adding significant traffic delays?
I’m driving in from YOW. I know some members here do the drive often . . . Any tips on the quickets route would also be appreciated.

Thank you.
I would just take via rail + YUL bus to YUL.
Old Jan 6, 12, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
I would just take via rail + YUL bus to YUL.
Don't have time.
I've got meetings in Ottawa till 1p and a 5p YUL Int'l departure.
Hence, the request for confirmation of the most efficient drive to YUL parking next week.
Old Jan 6, 12, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Another option is to book a hotel near the airport that includes free parking while you're gone. It can be less expensive than other options and gives you some insurance if the weather is bad by driving the day before.

http://www.parksleepfly.com/reservat...irportCode=YUL
Old Jan 6, 12, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2012/13 /CIBC AP Gold/&BIS
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow View Post

Thank you.
Right now the airport traffic conditonsl seems to change weekly your on a road one day the next its gone and your on another, one wrong turn and your on Côte de Liesse and its can be difficult to get back at time in a hurry.

In the winter I always park at Valet Parking 12155, chemin Côte-de-Liesse,
Dorval (Québec). Its about $20 a week more though the car is warm when you get picked up and the snow removed etc.

The other week I parked my car and walked in to check in and the valet went to the car and bang flat battery. I had a flight in an our and he said without hesitation don't worry about it ill sort it.

They ended up charging the battery and placed it on a drip for 2 weeks and no problems when home. Without the assistance I would have missed my flight.

Express A & B are also fine, bus comes every couple of minutes and have never had issues with those ones either.

Another one my mother is law does is stay at the fairfield hotel at the airport, if you stay a night its free parking for a week or 2. You'll need to check that one out though.
Old Jan 6, 12, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by getaround View Post
Right now the airport traffic conditonsl seems to change weekly your on a road one day the next its gone and your on another, one wrong turn and your on Côte de Liesse and its can be difficult to get back at time in a hurry.

In the winter I always park at Valet Parking 12155, chemin Côte-de-Liesse,
Dorval (Québec). Its about $20 a week more though the car is warm when you get picked up and the snow removed etc.
Good advice. I'll use that.
Figure it's 2 hours from Ott - the lot. Gives me 30 mins of buffer which is perfect.

Thanks all
Old Jan 6, 12, 1:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Enter the Island via the 40, then exit Sources South...at rush hour, you might find it more advantageous to exit at Donegani/Cardinal and follow Cardinal East towards the airport, rather than get caught up in the Dorval Circle for the 20/520 interchange....although with the construction and the detours, getting to the Valet Parking next to the Sheraton may be tricky if not taking the Airport exit from the 520 (i.e. blockages on the thru-lanes and the round-about from Cardinal via Michel-Jasmin to come back to the airport entryway by the Sheraton). Hopefully your fare was worth it (or the destination difficult to get to otherwise) to take the 417 for 2hrs (hopefully not in a blizzard) and then park at YUL, rather than utilize YOW...
Old Jan 6, 12, 1:52 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I'm a firm believer in HotelParc off of Cardinal for winter parking..... But the AP miles never post
Old Jan 6, 12, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dunderhead View Post
Enter the Island via the 40, then exit Sources South...at rush hour, you might find it more advantageous to exit at Donegani/Cardinal and follow Cardinal East towards the airport, rather than get caught up in the Dorval Circle for the 20/520 interchange....although with the construction and the detours, getting to the Valet Parking next to the Sheraton may be tricky if not taking the Airport exit from the 520 (i.e. blockages on the thru-lanes and the round-about from Cardinal via Michel-Jasmin to come back to the airport entryway by the Sheraton). Hopefully your fare was worth it (or the destination difficult to get to otherwise) to take the 417 for 2hrs (hopefully not in a blizzard) and then park at YUL, rather than utilize YOW...
Thanks for the tips.
Driving to YUL 1p-3p puts me ahead of rush hour (I'm hoping!).
I trust my driving more than the on-time performance and cancellation rate of YOWYUL on AC. I'm going to BKK the long way and don't want to be sitting in YOW listening to flight delay notifications wondering how I'm going to get where I have to be.
If roads are brutal . . . I will go the night before. Work will understand.
Old Jan 6, 12, 2:12 pm

Enjoy BKK....and doing it TATL is actually much more relaxing. I did it years back on AY -- YYZ/HEL/BKK...the lobster-stuffed chicken breast in J was excellent....and looking forward to doing YUL-DOH-HKT on QR in April or so.
Old Jan 6, 12, 2:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I've heard parking at the Via station in Dorval is pretty good. It's cheaper than park'n'fly and their shuttle runs often - based on what I've been told. It's right off the exit from the 20 so I plan to use it when I fly out of YUL in 3 weeks. I've use park'n'fly in the past. You might want to call them and look into it. I generally take the 40 onto the island and cross down to the 20 at some point - not specific but I haven't found much difference between the few exits I've tried.

What do you mean "the long way" to BKK? In my experience the flight times east or west are usually similar - what route are you taking and what's the travel time? When you got the ticket you couldn't do a YOW departure? Just curious....
Old Jan 6, 12, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

I've been burned too often ex-YOW.
I didn't want to be stressed before a vacation wondering if my Dash-8 to YUL will get out in time.
I could just imagine working with AC trying to get to Phuket if I miss my LX cnx in YUL. no thanks.
I'm 10* more confident that if things go wrong on YUL-ZRH on Swiss, they will get me to HKT in the class I'm booked (J) or better. The fact Swiss serves BKK with their own metal made it a no-brainer.

Routing is YUL-ZRH-BKK-HKT
Old Jan 6, 12, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dunderhead View Post
Enjoy BKK....and doing it TATL is actually much more relaxing. I did it years back on AY -- YYZ/HEL/BKK...the lobster-stuffed chicken breast in J was excellent....and looking forward to doing YUL-DOH-HKT on QR in April or so.
Agree on the relaxing part. I can (almost) get a full days work in on Friday, Dinner and Movie (arrive Europe) . . . Lunch, movie, dinner, sleep (arrive BKK Sunday AM).

Leaving next Friday afternoon and have a tee time in Phuket Sunday @ 1030am! . That is pretty delightful

YUL-DOH-HKT is a very cool itin (assuming DOH-HKT is served nonstop?) . . . I think that's the only 1-stop to Phuket from YUL. I will look into that if I decide to return to HKT.
Old Jan 6, 12, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=tryinginvain;17762221]I've heard parking at the Via station in Dorval is pretty good. It's cheaper than park'n'fly and their shuttle runs often - based on what I've been told. It's right off the exit from the 20 so I plan to use it when I fly out of YUL in 3 weeks. I've use park'n'fly in the past. You might want to call them and look into it. I generally take the 40 onto the island and cross down to the 20 at some point - not specific but I haven't found much difference between the few exits I've tried.

Via Rail station has certainly the best offer around if you don't need an hotel room. It's $45.00 per week and their shuttle service is ok but not as good as Park & Fly I must say. It's a hit an miss. Park & Fly shuttles offer more frequency and are more comfy. They sometimes run promos, just have a look on their Website.

Being so close to the airport and AC probably gave them the idea to introduce last fall a new fuel surcharge on the service It's about a dollar now (unregarding the lenght of the stay) I hate those...
Old Jan 6, 12, 7:41 pm

Nothing like a fuel surcharge on an airport shuttle that would be collecting $1/person, so let's say 4 persons = $4...and the r/t mileage is at best 2 miles...if the shuttle was getting even 10mpg, this is a big profit centre scam....cost of fuel for 5 r/t = $6 but collect $20...Airline and bank thought centres at work (i.e. Holger Kluge leaves CIBC and brings his nickle-and-dime service fee attitude to Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix)....

QR service from DOH to HKT is direct but makes an en-route stop at KUL.

Search this Thread