FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Quebec-LAX (1h15m connection in Toronto) - possible? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1294770-quebec-lax-1h15m-connection-toronto-possible.html)

easty Dec 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Quebec-LAX (1h15m connection in Toronto) - possible?

Hi All

I'm a newbie here but would really appreciate any advice you could offer me for the following flights I've booked:

Thursday, March 1, 2012

AC8915 - dep. Quebec City (YQB) at 09:10, arr. Toronto (YYZ) at 10:55

1h15m connection then:

AC799 - dep YYZ 12:10, arr LAX 14:30

Tickets are Tango Plus, I'm on an Australian passport and this is my first time through YYZ and after reading some of the stories here and elsewhere on the net I'm getting a little stressed.

Is 1 hour, 15 mins enough to get through YYZ with 1 checked bag, clear US customs and security and make my connecting flight?

Air Canada assures me it's a legal connection (they have a minimum of 1h10m), they just suggested I move quickly through the airport to make sure of it. I've also put in a seat request for the front of the aircraft (2B) to ensure I'm off the flight quickly and will do online check-in to speed things up further.

But I still have that nagging doubt in case of a delay. Any thoughts/suggestions from those who know the process at YYZ would be appreciated :)

FAIPDXFlyer Dec 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by easty (Post 17686490)
Hi All

I'm a newbie here but would really appreciate any advice you could offer me for the following flights I've booked:

Thursday, March 1, 2012

AC8915 - dep. Quebec City (YQB) at 09:10, arr. Toronto (YYZ) at 10:55

1h15m connection then:

AC799 - dep YYZ 12:10, arr LAX 14:30

Tickets are Tango Plus, I'm on an Australian passport and this is my first time through YYZ and after reading some of the stories here and elsewhere on the net I'm getting a little stressed.

Is 1 hour, 15 mins enough to get through YYZ with 1 checked bag, clear US customs and security and make my connecting flight?

Air Canada assures me it's a legal connection (they have a minimum of 1h10m), they just suggested I move quickly through the airport to make sure of it. I've also put in a seat request for the front of the aircraft (2B) to ensure I'm off the flight quickly and will do online check-in to speed things up further.

But I still have that nagging doubt in case of a delay. Any thoughts/suggestions from those who know the process at YYZ would be appreciated :)

75 minutes is doable provided that your YQB plane parks at the YYZ gate on time. How things work in YYZ is as follows:

1. Deboard the plane and proceed to the sterile area exit right by the 2nd floor security checkpoint.

2. Go up the escalator immediately to the right after you exit the domestic sterile area.

3. Follow the overhead signs that read "U.S. connections" and display the U.S. flag. You will pass the "aquarium of floating cubes" in this process.

4. The entrance to the U.S. connections area is through a side-door within the ticket check-in hall. You will need to show your boarding pass to the door agent.

5. Pick up your checked luggage at the transfer belt and proceed to passport control around the corner. There is another agent who will verify your boarding pass before being questioned by a US CBP agent.

6. After being interviewed by a US CBP agent, you will drop your luggage off on a belt and then proceed through CATSA screening and then on to your gate.

GTAA (the operator of YYZ) provides a good walkthrough video explaining basically what I have outlined above. Click here, and then click "Terminal 1 Connections" and then "Canada to U.S."

One way to expedite your process through YYZ is to fill in all forms relating to customs and immigration declarations before you depart YQB

75 minutes is O.K. for connections. If your flight from YQB is late however, then enquire at the YQB gate desk as to your options.

Hope I have answered you question(s)!

~FAI PDX Flyer :)

easty Dec 28, 2011 12:03 am

Thanks, FAIPDXFlyer - I really appreciate you taking the time to post that info.

Getting those forms filled out at YQB prior to arrival at YYZ = a great idea, anything to save a few more minutes.

FlightStats has this flight running on-time 81% so hopefully that trend continues on March 1 :)

M60_to_LGA Dec 29, 2011 12:35 pm

I second that it should be doable. The only real concern (outside of a delayed YQB departure) is a long line at US immigration. However, I'd think that in the event of a serious backup you could alert one of the service agents to your imminent connection, and you should be able to get through as a priority.

Sigh, I'm envious of you - I'd so love to be in YQB right now. But I was looking at flights for the winter, and it's $650 r/t from NYC - appalling. I'm paying 1/3 less than that to go to Europe in February.

easty Jan 3, 2012 3:06 pm

Cheers for your advice M60_to_LGA

One forum post I read somewhere else out there on the net suggested a similar thing about advising staff of a tight connection and getting processed quicker. Shall definitely be waving them over if I'm fighting a losing battle with the clock.

Re: Quebec City - we just got back from an enjoyable day trip there but, as beautiful as it was, I wouldn't have paid $650 r/t from NYC (that price is crazy!).

Enjoy Europe and have a beer for me :)