Search

5 hours in YYZ, with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Smile 5 hours in YYZ, with a few questions

Hi everyone,

We are doing DCA-YYZ-PVG on January 11th, I have a few questions:

1) She is a foreigner country passport holder with a valid US permanent resident card (green card). Does she need any sort of visa to enter Canada for transit?

2) Can we go out and take a tour at downtown Toronto? Does she need a visa for this?

3) What can we do during the 4 hours transit time (8AM-12PM) ? Shopping, sightseeing, just wandering around, or sightseeing bus? Thanks!

Thank you very much, appreciated.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jrsmooth
Hi everyone,

We are doing DCA-YYZ-PVG on January 11th, I have a few questions:

1) She is a foreigner country passport holder with a valid US permanent resident card (green card). Does she need any sort of visa to enter Canada for transit?

2) Can we go out and take a tour at downtown Toronto? Does she need a visa for this?

3) What can we do during the 4 hours transit time (8AM-12PM) ? Shopping, sightseeing, just wandering around, or sightseeing bus? Thanks!

Thank you very much, appreciated.
1)There is no transit facility so you need to enter Canada.

2)See answer 1, but it is morning rush hour so by the time you get downtown it would be time to return to the airport.

3)It all depends on your arrival and departure flight/times and terminals. You might be able to swing a shopping trip to Yorkdale.

We can be more helpful with more specific details.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Talking

OK, so she needs to enter Canada. She hold a Chinese passport with a US green card, according to this website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/v...p#exemptions):

persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;

So I guess she will be OK, right?

We will land at 7:42AM, leave at 12:35PM.

Also, will all our checked bags be checked all the way to PVG? Or we have to clear the customer with our bags?

This will be our first stop over in Toronto, we aren't expecting anything much, even a train ride to and from downtown would do...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
The only train ride at YYZ is the LINK between T1, T3 and the Viscount parking lot. It's free too, so if all you are looking for is a train ride, you do have time for a few trips and it won't cost you a penny. Nothing much of interest to see in T3 or at the parking lot, so might as well stay on the train and go back to T1.

If you want to go downtown, your time is very limited. Inbound immigration and outbound security can take a while at YYZ. Downtown is a 30+ minutes away even by taxi, so you probably would only have an hour or so downtown if all goes well. If your inbound flight is early and/or immigration is quick, you will hit the roads at peak rush hour traffic. If your flight is late or immigration is slow, there will be less traffic but you are already late to begin with. No good solution, really.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:21 am
Original Poster

OK thanks, some how I thought there was a train between the airport and downtown, but now I realized it is YVR.

Anyway, she should have no issue entering Canada with her green card right? and looks like our bags will be checked all the way to PVG.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
PRC passport with US green card is good, show the onward boarding pass or reservation.

Check through to PVG depends on the inbound and outbound airlines. I heard you need to check in your bags with Hainan Airlines.

Morning rush hour to downtown by taxi or limo is 45min+.

Shopping centres open 9:30am to 10am so the only option to kill time in a mall is Yorkdale, even that is stretching your timing for the 90minutes international checkin requirement. It should take no more than 30 minutes to get there and 15 minutes to get back(post-am-rush).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.