Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping goods to Canada while abroad - effect on duty limit?

Shipping goods to Canada while abroad - effect on duty limit?

Old Nov 15, 11, 9:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Posts: 6,325
Shipping goods to Canada while abroad - effect on duty limit?

I've been traveling over the past 2 months and during that time I've had to send some stuff home, mostly warm clothing that is not needed in SE Asia, however I also sent some clothes that I purchased overseas as well.

When I arrive into Canada do I have to declare the full value that I shipped, or just the goods that I purchased overseas?

Thanks
shore9 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 11, 10:17 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I'm From Here
Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Posts: 3,855
You are supposed to declare it as there is a box that says "have you shipped goods not accompanied by you"

I don't know how many people actually do that, but if you go to the letter of the law then yes
lcohen999 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 11, 10:33 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 601
If you declare the value of shipped goods upon arrival to Canada, you will be given a special form from CBSA saying what you have shipped and the values of the shipped goods.

When the shipped goods arrive Canada, there is a possibility of them being assessed duty and tax. With the form given by CBSA, you can have the duty and tax waived. Otherwise, you will need to pay duty and tax when you pick up your shipped goods.
khkchan is offline  
Old Nov 15, 11, 5:58 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TYO
Posts: 1,492
Your $750 exemption includes goods that accompany you and those that are to follow at a later date (have receipts to prove they really are coming JIC).

This is assuming the goods you have shipped were bought or acquired whilst on your trip. If they were previously purchased or legally imported into Canada before the trip you are currently on, when you ship them back you should document them as "Canadian Goods Returning".
pr0digy25 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 11, 6:00 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,638
Originally Posted by shore9 View Post
I've been traveling over the past 2 months and during that time I've had to send some stuff home, mostly warm clothing that is not needed in SE Asia, however I also sent some clothes that I purchased overseas as well.

When I arrive into Canada do I have to declare the full value that I shipped, or just the goods that I purchased overseas?

Thanks
You declare what you have bought or acquire while out of Canada. Separate the declaration to accompanied goods as well as goods to follow.

You will need the form issued by CBSA for goods to follow to get it into Canada duty and tax free.

You should not pay duty and tax on things you took out of Canada and bring back after your trip. However the burden of proof to CBSA that they were acquired in Canada is on you.
tentseller is offline  
Old Nov 16, 11, 7:38 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Posts: 6,325
There are some goods that I have already sent home and arrived (addressed to my parents). Presumably if they have already arrived, no duty and tax has been assessed, or is there simply no to no if they have?
shore9 is offline  
Old Nov 16, 11, 11:28 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,638
Sometimes personal belonging that are declared as such are just sent through the postal system.

The $750 personal limit applies to everything that you are bringing in as well as decalred goods to follow.
tentseller is offline  
Old Nov 17, 11, 10:36 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Posts: 2,908
Originally Posted by shore9 View Post
There are some goods that I have already sent home and arrived (addressed to my parents). Presumably if they have already arrived, no duty and tax has been assessed, or is there simply no to no if they have?
If they have received the packages, that means either there was no tax assessed, or your parents paid taxes on your behalf. These packages already went through the system and is history.

Any person can receive a mailed package worth $60 duty free(except alcohol/tobacco)
beep88 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 11, 2:19 pm
  #9  
B1
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,663
Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
If they have received the packages, that means either there was no tax assessed, or your parents paid taxes on your behalf. These packages already went through the system and is history.

Any person can receive a mailed package worth $60 duty free(except alcohol/tobacco)
But you are liable for HST/GST/PST. If it wasn't collected then it's not declared in the "goods to follow" category, which is for the case when you are moving and are having things shipped by truck, for example.
B1 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 11, 10:22 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: KIX, UKB, YVR
Programs: AC
Posts: 2,267
When are you going back home? This can have a bearing on them charging duties and taxes.

When we moved back from Taiwan to Vancouver, we were away for 2 plus years, it was not considered shipping goods to Canada but moving back to Canada.

Had to list what items were purchased within the last 6 months prior to returning back to Canada. It was nominal therefore we were not assessed with any duties or taxes.
Taiwaned is offline  
Old Nov 18, 11, 7:58 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Posts: 6,325
Originally Posted by Taiwaned View Post
When are you going back home? This can have a bearing on them charging duties and taxes.

When we moved back from Taiwan to Vancouver, we were away for 2 plus years, it was not considered shipping goods to Canada but moving back to Canada.

Had to list what items were purchased within the last 6 months prior to returning back to Canada. It was nominal therefore we were not assessed with any duties or taxes.
I come back in about a month, have been away for 2 months so far. I would assume this wouldn't count as moving back to Canada.
shore9 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 11, 6:10 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Posts: 6,325
SOT from this thread, but my girlfriend and I went on a shopping trip in Vietnam, and have each spent around our duty free limit on clothing ($750). We both live in Vancouver, however she is flying to Ottawa directly from Asia (Via LAX and YYZ) for christmas to be with her family while I go to Vancouver.

We are both in Canada from Dec 18 - Jan 5, when we leave again for another 3 months.

We would like to ship all of our stuff together and will likely send it to my parents in Vancouver as it will likely arrive after we depart Canada again (no need to pay for express if we won't be need it until April). If we send it together, is there anyway that the total package can be split between the two of our duty limits, even though we will enter Canada at two different airports?

If this cannot be done, we'll send 2 seperate packages, just don't want one of us to get dinged for being $750 over their limit, while the other uses up almost nothing.

thanks
shore9 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 11, 8:04 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,638
I would sent is as two goods to follow parcel with a separate corresponding declaration.
tentseller is offline  
Old Nov 26, 11, 11:45 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Posts: 2,908
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
But you are liable for HST/GST/PST. If it wasn't collected then it's not declared in the "goods to follow" category, which is for the case when you are moving and are having things shipped by truck, for example.
I repeat what your were quoting from me, every individual is entitled to receive *mailed* individual packages, each worth $60 or less, no duty, no tax, no HST/GST/PST. Legally you are obligated to report to your provincial government and pay PST after you have received the package released by customs. I know of no one doing that.

This has nothing to do with goods to follow.

Last edited by beep88; Nov 26, 11 at 11:54 am
beep88 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 11, 11:53 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Posts: 2,908
Originally Posted by shore9 View Post
SOT from this thread, but my girlfriend and I went on a shopping trip in Vietnam, and have each spent around our duty free limit on clothing ($750). We both live in Vancouver, however she is flying to Ottawa directly from Asia (Via LAX and YYZ) for christmas to be with her family while I go to Vancouver.

We are both in Canada from Dec 18 - Jan 5, when we leave again for another 3 months.

We would like to ship all of our stuff together and will likely send it to my parents in Vancouver as it will likely arrive after we depart Canada again (no need to pay for express if we won't be need it until April). If we send it together, is there anyway that the total package can be split between the two of our duty limits, even though we will enter Canada at two different airports?

If this cannot be done, we'll send 2 seperate packages, just don't want one of us to get dinged for being $750 over their limit, while the other uses up almost nothing.

thanks

Yes you can send 1 package with 2 recipients and clearly indicate as such, inside and outside of the package. This is based on customs officials telling me re. $60 mailed package per person rule. If the package clearly shows 2 recipients (e.g. separate gift cards inside the package, etc.), 2 x $60 applies.

Of course sending separate packages would be simpler in case you need to navigate the red tape should they decide to levy taxes.
beep88 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread