FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Anything big on New Year's Eve in Vancouver or Toronto? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1277516-anything-big-new-years-eve-vancouver-toronto.html)

797-3 Nov 7, 2011 9:46 pm

Anything big on New Year's Eve in Vancouver or Toronto?

The title says it all. Worth a trip to either city?

Braindrain Nov 7, 2011 11:18 pm

YVR is pretty dead on NYE. Nothing "big" goes on.

LuvAirFrance Nov 8, 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain (Post 17410657)

They don't have a Times Square, but it really seemed like a party town to me. I'm sure there are many parties.

MoreMilesPlease Nov 8, 2011 8:26 am

We spent last NYE in Toronto. Big party in Dundas Square with live bands and lots of partying. We went to the theater (Priscilla Queen of the Desert!) and then had a great time in the crowds.

So head to Toronto.

Wally Bird Nov 8, 2011 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain (Post 17410657)

Start a facebook/twitter campaign now and you could probably get a nice riot arranged. It'll take the police completely by surprise. :eek: ;)

gglave Nov 8, 2011 10:01 am

Nothing in Vancouver - Our reputation as a 'No Fun City' is firmly cemented on New Year's Eve. To wit -

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

If something did happen it would be deemed as 'family friendly' and very sedate. (And I say that from the perspective of a dad with 2 little kids).

tentseller Nov 8, 2011 4:21 pm

YVR only get interesting after important hockey games. YYZ? no interesting hockey game since 1967.

DanJ Nov 9, 2011 10:12 am

Both will have numerous hotel ballroom type parties as well as club parties. No idea on public celebrations, although I always thought Toronto did something at Nathan Phillip Square at city hall. Niagara Falls is less than 2 hours away and they always have a big celebration.

emma69 Nov 9, 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by DanJ (Post 17419698)
Both will have numerous hotel ballroom type parties as well as club parties. No idea on public celebrations, although I always thought Toronto did something at Nathan Phillip Square at city hall. Niagara Falls is less than 2 hours away and they always have a big celebration.

Yup, there is a party in Nathan Phillips I believe.

LuvAirFrance Nov 9, 2011 2:41 pm

Don't the bars and clubs do special things to lure in party animals for the business?

gglave Nov 9, 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 17421538)
Don't the bars and clubs do special things to lure in party animals for the business?

Well, yes, absolutely, but I got the sense the OP was referring to big outdoor celebrations, a la New York City, Sydney etc.

There's nothing like that in Vancouver, as the civic governement would prefer everyone to clink a (small) glass of sparkling grape juice at home and then be tucked into bed by 12:10 AM so they have plenty of energy to go bike riding on January 1st.

LuvAirFrance Nov 10, 2011 9:59 am

I guess New York wouldnt have any if there was a tendency for riots to develop. Maybe Vancouver is just more cautious.

tentseller Nov 10, 2011 10:48 am

Before we start knocking Vancouver too much most of the rioters, just like the G20 in Toronto are from out of town.
We usually gather some friends together and watch the countdown in the warmth and comfort of someone's home.

Junior-Senior living in Toronto.

YVR Cockroach Nov 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Years ago, Vancouver had a First Night celebration which was family friendly. That fizzled out fast though. People seem content to stay home or go to restaurants and night clubs. Some actually have decently-priced events though the bulk are shameless ripoffs.

Wally Bird Nov 11, 2011 8:32 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 17426458)
Before we start knocking Vancouver too much most of the rioters, just like the G20 in Toronto are from out of town.

You have some evidence for that claim ? Being from Surrey etc. does not qualify as "out of town".