Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YWG TO GET NEW TERMINAL

YWG TO GET NEW TERMINAL

Old May 3, 2001, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

YWG TO GET NEW TERMINAL

The Winnipeg Airport Authority announced yesterday a plan to build as early as 2004 a new 60,000 square meter terminal just to the north of the current terminal. The two terminals would work in tandem at least until 2006. At that point, a decision will be made when to demolish the current facility to make room for another 10,000 to 30,000 square meters.
Old May 3, 2001, 6:03 am

Why??? The current terminal seems just fine to me (apart from the idiotic automated parking machines). It is efficient, not overcrowded, and appears to be in good shape.
Old May 3, 2001, 8:11 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
They say that it will not be big enough to handle the expected future trafic. Also the transborder/international area in the basement can be way too small even now.

Anyway they have to spend the airport improvement fees on something other than expensive lunches and jollies to other airports

Stewart.
Old May 3, 2001, 8:21 am

I've never had a problem, even in the international/transborder area in the basement. Perhaps I'm too used to the crowds in YYZ.

I suppose the idea of dropping the AIF and leaving the terminal as it is would be out of the question.
Old May 3, 2001, 8:59 am
Suspended

What a stupid idea. Must be from the Edmonton Airport authority. The YWG terminal serves the needs of YWG.
Old May 3, 2001, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
YWG seems fine to me. It is old, but satisfies the local needs. What a waste of $.
Old May 3, 2001, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

www.winnipegfreepress.com/news/index.html
Old May 5, 2001, 7:28 pm

What a joke. Traffic to YWG is not growing because the city is not growing. If anything, YWG is LESS crowded today than it was 10-15 years ago when it was THE east-west hub in Canada. They could easily spruce up the old terminal for a tiny fraction of what they'll spend on a new one.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread but it had the most topical heading.

The opening of the new terminal scheduled for late fall 2010 may be delayed due to problems with pipes.

From the Winnipeg Free Press

"A construction glitch is threatening to delay the opening of Winnipeg's new airport terminal.

Winnipeg Airports Authority president and CEO Barry Rempel said Wednesday the project's main contractor, Ellis Don Corp., has informed WAA officials that some of the drain pipes under the massive concrete pad on which the terminal was built are leaking at the joints.

"We know it's not just one pipe," Rempel said. "There are several locations around the base of the building."

What they don't know yet -- and probably won't know for about two more weeks -- is exactly how many pipes are leaking, what it's going to take to fix them, and whether the remedial work will delay the opening of the new terminal.

The new terminal is the jewel in the $585-million redevelopment of the airport.

Rempel said WAA officials still hope to have the terminal up and running by early December, before the Christmas travel rush begins.

If it's not ready by then, he said he and the air carriers would rather delay the opening until sometime in the new year to sidestep one of the busiest travel periods of the year. How far into the new year is still up in the air."

Last edited by airbus320; Aug 19, 2010 at 5:52 am Reason: link will not work....
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: AC
Awww man. I was looking forward to the opening in October. I really do hope further traffic and better routes comes to YWG. I'm a quite jealous that all the other airports get cool deals and routes (other than Mexico) while YWG gets overlooked ALL THE TIME And budget carrier Iceland Express really sucks donkey balls big time
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Looks like the airport improvement fee will be going up again

If they just improved US departures the old terminal would of been fine. YWG isn't going to be getting new routes cause of a new terminal. Especially with Alberta airports also expanding.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
I'm really going to enjoy landing at the new terminal whenever it opens! The old terminal is so 70's! I still think the YWG MLL is one of the best for a small airport! Lots of room and never crowded!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
If they hurry, it can be open in time for the 10th anniversary of this thread.

The new terminal at Winnipeg's James Armstrong Richardson International Airport won't be open until some time in 2011.

The new building was originally scheduled to open in October this year but an official at the Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA) says it won't be operational until likely the middle of next year.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...#ixzz10qAExBo1
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
If they hurry, it can be open in time for the 10th anniversary of this thread.
Or not....

Pipe problems leave new Winnipeg airport months away from takeoff

http://www.globalregina.com/Pipe+pro...926/story.html

Christine Alongi, an authority spokeswoman, says the airport will definitely open this year, but adds "we're not guessing" about the exact date.
(emphasis mine)
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: lost all status during pandemic...
seems they have another date - Oct 30th

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...131411843.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.