Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cdn Medical Association Wants Pets Banned from Cabin

Cdn Medical Association Wants Pets Banned from Cabin

Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Canines join already established provisions & procedures made for Felines and nuts (the edible ones) on board.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There's a difference between being allowed, and being a common occurrence. I have once seen a dog on AC. I have never seen a dog on UA.
lol

Do you think pet owner's prefer AC or something?

I've seen two dogs, one cat and one bird on AC. My friend in NYC only ever travels with her dog, in cabin, domestically. She frequents UA and Southwest.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Dorian
lol

Do you think pet owner's prefer AC or something?

I've seen two dogs, one cat and one bird on AC. My friend in NYC only ever travels with her dog, in cabin, domestically. She frequents UA and Southwest.
Pets in the cabin were banned for a while, but I'm guessing the policy was reversed for competitive reasons.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Accommodating peoples with allergies is probably why the stock took at 25% jump today.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:26 pm

There's a difference between being allowed, and being a common occurrence. I have once seen a dog on AC. I have never seen a dog on UA.
Given the amount you fly, does once on AC count as a common occurrence?

I have not paid a ton of attention to it, but I have not noticed a dog on any of my flights this year, but did notice it to be more of a regular occurrence on WestJet last year.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danapop
Accommodating peoples with allergies is probably why the stock took at 25% jump today.
..... or a favorable quarter
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Given the amount you fly, does once on AC count as a common occurrence?
No.

I should rephrase my original statement to be "if dogs on AC ever start bothering me, I will fly with someone else".
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:01 pm

No.

I should rephrase my original statement to be "if dogs on AC ever start bothering me, I will fly with someone else".
I figured, I was just being cheeky
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:04 pm

This, IMO, is going to get messy. What about pre-paid preferred seats? Who gets moved if you both paid for the exit row (for example). Or what about paid J or eUps? Are you going to kick a confirmed J pax to Y because they have a dog and someone is allergic? There are only max four rows of J domestically....

Personally, if you have that bad of an allergy you should choose not to fly. Lets not all forget that flying is NOT a right - it is a convenience.

Not to get on a high-horse here, but Obesity has recently been classed as a disease and disability. Does that mean that they are entitled to encroach on my seat? Or get free J because it is the only seat that will fit?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:12 pm

It's not an uncommon occurrence and unless you heard an audible bark or meow, you'd have no reason to know that a pet was being carried on board. UA being 5 times the size of AC carries proportionally far more critters in the cabin.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Not to get on a high-horse here, but Obesity has recently been classed as a disease and disability. Does that mean that they are entitled to encroach on my seat? Or get free J because it is the only seat that will fit?
Airlines are already required to give passengers of size an additional seat if required at no additional cost.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Dorian
Yes. So do a bunch of weird (for NA's) airlines.
These policies are most likely as a result of local laws.

UAE requires animals (including pets) entering the country to do so via cargo for example.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by KenHamer
For the better part of 3 decades I have followed a Seattle band called Uncle Bonsai
Uncle Bonsai!

Just hearing this name brings up fond memories of a college roadtrip in '89 - Heading into L.A. on a Monday morning (having left Vancouver 22 hours earlier), listening to Pirate Radio and hearing "Boys want Sex in the Morning" for the first time...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:19 pm

I've had cats as pets for over 50 years. Not once have I given a thought of flying with any of them in the passenger cabin. I flew a couple of them YYZ-YEG 30+ years ago when I finished university in the cargo hold in cages with appropriate medication. I've never liked dogs. Like them less in airplanes.

No pets in the passenger cabin.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
It's not an uncommon occurrence and unless you heard an audible bark or meow, you'd have no reason to know that a pet was being carried on board. UA being 5 times the size of AC carries proportionally far more critters in the cabin.
In which case, I don't care

But not all pets are that well behaved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.