FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Heat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1239558-heat.html)

LuvAirFrance Jul 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Heat

Watching CBC news, they said the temperature felt like 46. Huh? Is the Kalihari even that hot? I considered visiting this summer, but now I'm thinking a winter visit would suit me better.

YVR Cockroach Jul 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Humidex

tentseller Jul 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 16773750)

Yes in Canada we have two terms to measure weather to make it sound worse than it really is. (or how tough Canadians are to extreme weather)

Humidex - during the summer a humidity factor is added to the actual air temperature.

Wind Chill Factor - in winter the windspeed is subtracted to the actual still air temperature.

DanJ Jul 21, 2011 10:19 pm

It hasn't been that bad. Sure, the last 2 or 3 weeks have been hot and dry in southern Ontario (can't speak for anywhere else in Canada, although I did see someone on Facebook lamenting their 16C temp and rain LOL). But the rest of the spring and summer prior has been pretty cool and wet.

I don't know about the humidex (or real feel temp, or whatever other terms used to describe it), but it didn't feel a bit over 35C today LOL.

longwaybackhome Jul 21, 2011 10:52 pm

I was in Toronto once when it was 39 C (on the digital thermometer readout at the Sheraton), and I took a nap in Nathan Phillips Square. I imagine that right now I'd have collapsed and melted into a puddle in the middle of Queen Street, not being able to make it to the concrete benches where I'd napped.

LuvAirFrance Jul 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by DanJ (Post 16774221)
It hasn't been that bad. Sure, the last 2 or 3 weeks have been hot and dry in southern Ontario (can't speak for anywhere else in Canada, although I did see someone on Facebook lamenting their 16C temp and rain LOL). But the rest of the spring and summer prior has been pretty cool and wet.

I don't know about the humidex (or real feel temp, or whatever other terms used to describe it), but it didn't feel a bit over 35C today LOL.

They showed some athletes out toughening up for competition. They also showed a woman distributing bottles of water to prevent dehydration. I've been in Toronto in May and September. Even then it was pretty warm. Being on the lake, I thought it would be milder like lakeside cities I know. But what they are telling me about this year, it wouldn't be worth the trip because I can roast at home for nothing.

Antonio8069 Jul 22, 2011 3:32 am

heat & flying

I asked an AC pilot at the Sheraton in YYZ yesterday how the heat affects flying? I was surprised by his answer.........it doesn't make any difference!

slawecki Jul 22, 2011 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 16774912)
I asked an AC pilot at the Sheraton in YYZ yesterday how the heat affects flying? I was surprised by his answer.........it doesn't make any difference!

flying, no, but takeoff, landing and stall speed it makes a big difference. altitude also makes a big difference on those activities.

DanJ Jul 22, 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 16774912)

He's probably not flying anywhere that it makes a difference. Hot air certainly does affect flying in many locations, mainly higher altitude airports. I imagine if he flies out of Denver in a heat wave, his answer would be different.

As for temperatures displayed on those outdoor electronic signs, I take them with a huge grain of salt. A lot of them read the temperature inside the unit and the sun beating down on it can skew the actual temperature. I've seen high 30's on those signs when it's really high 20's. (btw the forecast is back to mid to high 20's starting next week for southern Ontario, so get those flights booked LOL)

LuvAirFrance Jul 22, 2011 12:25 pm

You think CBC takes its info from signs? I'd lay my bet on the national weather service. I've never been in Toronto on what I'd call a cool day. It may be "true North", but it usually felt like south to me. This is the hottest summer since 1950, so only old Canadians have experienced this much heat.

Jay71 Jul 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Send some of this sun and heat to the We(s)t Coast please. :p
I bought an A/C unit from Costco this spring at my wife's displeasure and it's getting zero usage. :(

tentseller Jul 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 16777682)
You think CBC takes its info from signs? I'd lay my bet on the national weather service. I've never been in Toronto on what I'd call a cool day. It may be "true North", but it usually felt like south to me. This is the hottest summer since 1950, so only old Canadians have experienced this much heat.

Toronto is south of the midpoint between the equator and true North Pole.

Originally Posted by Jay71 (Post 16778049)
I bought an A/C unit from Costco this spring at my wife's displeasure and it's getting zero usage. :(

Just sent it over and we will break it in for you. ;)

YVR Cockroach Jul 22, 2011 5:03 pm

A lot of those portable units now also can act as heaters and dehumidifiers. Latter function can come in handy in basements.

LuvAirFrance Jul 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Leaving AC off is a boon to my bank account and to the planet. Better yet, never having to BUY one is the best option. Never regret the hours you don't run an AC.