Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Free Car Rental Days - Scenic Drives or Transport? (YVR,YYJ,SEA)

Old Jul 17, 11, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels

I'm planning a 7-10ish days trip that will include Vancouver, Victoria & Seattle sometime this August/September and will likely fly to/from SEA or do an OJ preferably into BC and ex-SEA.

While I enjoy walking around cities & taking ferries, I just realized I have a bunch of free rental days from both Hertz & National at my disposal.

I know that there's a ton of scenic drives up that way but could use some help with the logistics of which to choose?

Would you suggest I use a car to do day trips in/around BC or rather, if it makes more sense, use the car as transport to get from one city to the other (preferably using a scenic route)?

TIA
Old Jul 17, 11, 5:14 pm
B1

Originally Posted by bk3day View Post

Would you suggest I use a car to do day trips in/around BC or rather, if it makes more sense, use the car as transport to get from one city to the other (preferably using a scenic route)?

TIA
yes to either or both. There are lots of nice routes, especially via the Olympic Peninsula.
Old Jul 17, 11, 8:23 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Nexus, Global Entry
In southwestern BC, the nicest drive is the Sea-to-Sky highway between Vancouver and Whistler:

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/10/ad_42371n.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/gocanada/1/0/b/7/...ky_highway.jpg

Between Seattle and Vancouver, you can detour off the I-5 and take Chuckanut Drive:

http://home.comcast.net/~bygonebyway...-Bayside_2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Route_11
Old Jul 23, 11, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks B1 & gglave!

Now all I have to do is make some decisions!
Old Jul 23, 11, 12:17 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The scenery is the drive between these cities.

Don't forget to budget time while waiting for the ferry and checking those schedules in advance.
Old Jul 23, 11, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
I don't think Chuckanut Drive is as scenic as some would make out. You really don't see that much on the drive as it is hidden.

A drive I would recommend is taking US 2 east at Everett to US 97, head north to from there, taking WA 153 to Winthrop and then US 20 (the North Cascades Highway) back to I-5 at Burlington. You could also turn north earlier and head up to drive in the highway to Mt Baker though it is a o-w highway.
Old Jul 24, 11, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
The scenery is the drive between these cities.

Don't forget to budget time while waiting for the ferry and checking those schedules in advance.
Between all the cities or which 2?

Thanks for the reminder and timing is a factor especially if I need to take a car or public transport to catch the ferry.
Old Jul 25, 11, 12:49 pm
B1

BC Ferry from Vancouver (Tsawwassen) to Swartz Bay near Victoria. Then Black Ball ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, WA at the top of the Olympic Peninsula. See the national park, rain forest, mountains and coast line, and then drive to Seattle. This minimizes time on the road for maximum enjoyment of the area.

Search this Thread