Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Changing coins to bills in Canada: TD Canada Trust?

Old Jul 13, 11, 10:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!

I have about $60 in Canadian coins that I want to exchange. Not just pennies but also nickels and quarters. I am willing to take a mileage run to change it. (OK, I actually am going there anyway).

Anyone change coins into bills? My coins are rolled in bank coin wrappers so it looks less scary (or more scary ) I heard that TD used to change it free but now only for customers. Anywhere else? Either that or buy something and insist on paying in coins? If so, psychologically, paying in pennies would create more anger than quarters even if the number of coins are the same.
Old Jul 13, 11, 11:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
$60 in coins is, no pun or insult intended, chump change. Not worth worrying about the logistics.

My advice? 15 trips to Tim Hortons.
Old Jul 13, 11, 1:32 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I just dump my excess coinage into the self serve checkouts at Loblaws/Superstore, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc.
Old Jul 13, 11, 6:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
I just dump my excess coinage into the self serve checkouts at Loblaws/Superstore, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc.
Good suggestion!
Old Jul 14, 11, 11:57 am
B1

Some TD branches have no-charge machines for coins to be counted and wrapped. You just watch the machine do the work. Some supermarkets have CoinStar machines that give you a credit slip (but take a commission).
Old Jul 30, 11, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines View Post
I have about $60 in Canadian coins that I want to exchange. Not just pennies but also nickels and quarters. I am willing to take a mileage run to change it. (OK, I actually am going there anyway).

Anyone change coins into bills? My coins are rolled in bank coin wrappers so it looks less scary (or more scary ) I heard that TD used to change it free but now only for customers. Anywhere else? Either that or buy something and insist on paying in coins? If so, psychologically, paying in pennies would create more anger than quarters even if the number of coins are the same.
One of my daughters actually goes once a year with all the coins she put away throughout the year. She takes them in a medium-size jar, unwrapped, and uncounted.

The tellers aren't too happy I'm sure, but they have always counted them. We deal with CIBC.
Old Jul 31, 11, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
In Ottawa you can go to Metro Supermarket on St Laurent Blvd, or to the service desk at St. Laurent Mall and receive a gift certificate for use in the store (or mall)in return for your coins. Use it to buy a gift card (e.g. Esso, or a restaurant) or buy $60 worth of scratch lottery tickets.
--
13F
Old Aug 1, 11, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC*A, VIPorter
Originally Posted by alexb133 View Post
One of my daughters actually goes once a year with all the coins she put away throughout the year. She takes them in a medium-size jar, unwrapped, and uncounted.

The tellers aren't too happy I'm sure, but they have always counted them. We deal with CIBC.
In my experience (Scotiabank) the tellers are required to open rolls and count them anyway. I find it's best to count it out at home and write everything down ahead of time so tellers only have to confirm the numbers (and have a rough idea of what they're dealing with).
Old Aug 9, 11, 9:30 am

Bank of Montreal has just begun placing free coin counting machines into new branches. Free for both BMO customers and non-customers.

http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/ban...h/coin-counter
Old Aug 9, 11, 11:40 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Bank of Montreal has just begun placing free coin counting machines into new branches. Free for both BMO customers and non-customers.

http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/ban...h/coin-counter
Good to know that it's free for non-BMO customers as well

Search this Thread