Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

walk across the border at the Peace Arch (near Vancouver)?

Old May 25, 11, 1:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: I miss NW, TW

Anyone walk across the border at the Peace Arch? I don't want to be stripped searched because they think I am a weirdo. I just want to walk because some people are saying there will be a 2 hour delay due to Memorial Day.
Old May 25, 11, 4:38 pm

You can walk around all you want at the international peace park where the arch is located, including "crossing" the border, without having to report for inspection as long as you don't go beyond the boundary of the peace park.

Are you talking about walking to the inspection station and entering the USA or Canada on foot after clearing immigration/customs? I suppose that can be done but then what are you doing for transportation? This port-of-entry is on what essentially is a freeway (although everything is slowed down through the peace park).
Old May 25, 11, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
I have seen people walk across the border in the past and clear. Not sure how tough a time you'd be given though. As El Conchinto says, there's little public transportation once you cross.
Old May 25, 11, 7:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: I miss NW, TW
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
. As El Conchinto says, there's little public transportation once you cross.
About a mile from the border, there is a city bus stop on the Canadian side.
Old May 25, 11, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Along 8th Avenue?

FWIW, there was someone who planned a route/schedule by public transport from Seattle to Vancouver. Link might even be posted here.

Which direction are you planning to cross and on what day? Monday may be bad southbound but I don't think volume should be too bad compared to the past (though processing times per car may have increased).

You should be o.kl if you have some plausible reason about how you got there and how you will travel onward.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; May 25, 11 at 7:26 pm
Old May 26, 11, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
FWIW, there was someone who planned a route/schedule by public transport from Seattle to Vancouver. Link might even be posted here.
This guy wrote pretty much the definitive version of getting from Seattle to Vancouver by public transit. The write-up is almost 2 years old so you'd be advised to check the relevant transit agencies for route and schedule updates. But the part about walking across the border should still be the same:

http://seattletransitblog.com/2009/0...ublic-transit/

And here's a link for the opposite direction, though it's from 6 years ago:

http://www.travelblog.org/North-Amer...log-27250.html

Search this Thread