Another crazy T1 customs arrival scene

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another crazy T1 customs arrival scene

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Maybe cbsa was out of money? Now it's a new fiscal year so perhaps they can staff up a bit. No excuse for the mess of course just perhaps an explanation. If management does not provide the staffing then this is what happens. Write your MP if you want anything done (of course your MP is subject to change )
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
The design flaws in the arrival immig hall creates an overflow mess into the corridors etc. Yes agreed that staffing is another issue as well but not the only fault.
Still infinitely better than the customs/immigration design at FRA!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Since there is a shortage of staff, I doubt if the OP was directed by a person, he probably had to push his way through or manouvre carefully so as to get to the Nexus area.
Since I'm a Nexus card holder and I haven't yet experienced backups such as this in YYZ I was hoping for a response from someone who actually has. I, too, am quite capable of surmising. I'm really more interested in hearing of the actual experience of others.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan E
Originally Posted by pxy_a
Still infinitely better than the customs/immigration design at FRA!
It may be... but I have never waited for an immigration agent in FRA for more than 15 mins. At YYZ, I have gone through the crazy line ups and waitied for over 1 hour twice.

I do believe this is a GTAA and CBSA issue. GTAA for not doing their homework on the arrivals and CBSA for not staffing the right amount of agents...
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by AC_flyer
It may be... but I have never waited for an immigration agent in FRA for more than 15 mins. At YYZ, I have gone through the crazy line ups and waitied for over 1 hour twice.
Then you haven't spent much time at FRA. I've waited over 2 hrs to exit schengen before.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Agree...will someone please report their NEXUS experience...

....with this mess??
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:53 am

Sorry if posting in the wrong place and probably off track.

I get in to YYZ from HKG at 18.05 and in transit to connect to the flight to DCA at 20.55. Do i need to go through immigration (i know i need a transit visa cos i am not a US citizen) and is there enough time to make the connection considering such long waits.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Gogie
Since I'm a Nexus card holder and I haven't yet experienced backups such as this in YYZ I was hoping for a response from someone who actually has. I, too, am quite capable of surmising. I'm really more interested in hearing of the actual experience of others.
I can't speak to YYZ, but I'm a Nexus holder in YYC, and when I run into the same thing here (lines backed up to the second floor) I've just walked past everyone to the top of the stairs (where they actually have someone stationed), said 'Nexus' and they've let me through.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by HomerJ
....with this mess??
A colleague of mine(who flew with me), who has NEXUS, managed to go through without too much problem. He had to say he was 'Nexus' to 3 different security people doing Crowd control to enter the Immigration Hall. He told me Nexus counters were empty, so he had little trouble once he made it to the Immigration Hall.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy
Then you haven't spent much time at FRA. I've waited over 2 hrs to exit schengen before.
Probably.... I have been lucky... I mostly transit through FRA...
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HomerJ
....with this mess??
I've been through crowds in the customs hall in T1, not nearly as bad as the OP describes. You can get through immigration easy enough, but for exiting the hall there's only 1 or 2 people checking cards and no priority line for Nexus card holders. So you can still wait in line a long time trying to get out. If you have checked baggage at YYZ add another 40 minutes to wait for the baggage to show up.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
The arrivals hall was a mess when I got in at 9:30 last night. Huge lines everywhere, excess baggage piling up on the belts, so much so that the chutes were blocked and stalling.

Was there some kind of holiday last week that I missed?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by phedre
The arrivals hall was a mess when I got in at 9:30 last night. Huge lines everywhere, excess baggage piling up on the belts, so much so that the chutes were blocked and stalling.

Was there some kind of holiday last week that I missed?
Spring Break?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by will5404
Spring Break?
That'd explain it. Been out of school for longer than I care to admit so I don't track those dates at all.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:35 pm

Similar experience on March 16 – arriving from US on AC around 8:45 pm – over 700 people trapped on level 2 hallway for more than 2 hours – AC rep disappeared quickly saying simply “customs doesn’t have staff, wait here”. Peel police to “guard” but had no knowledge of situation. After release into customs waiting area, another 45 minutes to clear, less than 1/2 booths open, many staff appearing to just come onto shift (logging on, getting settled in chair). Nexus were not permitted to bypass until 1.5 hours passed. Having experienced unusually long lineups for customs and luggage at YYZ T1 in the past, I work hard to avoid int'l connect through YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.