Rude Canadian immigration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude Canadian immigration

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Huge difference between invading in a war and reconstruction.

Originally Posted by euromannn
1. You are clearly wrong. Canada did in fact join the Iraq support mission. Not initially but then again read my words I said "Canada did join"!!!!!

2. http://www.adl.org/terror/tu/tu_0401_canada.asp
"According to the CSIS, terrorists from 50 different international terrorist organizations come to Canada posing as refugees. Nearly 300,000 immigrants are admitted each year to Canada, many of whom seek political asylum and safe haven. Canada, however, does not detain refugee seekers upon entry, even those with questionable backgrounds, so thousands of potential terrorists disappear annually into Canada's ethnic communities. Armed with a fraudulent French passport, for example, Ahmed Ressam had entered Canada in 1994 claiming refugee status."

I won't do all of your demands of multiple articles which are available. Canada had a lax process in pre-2003 that allowed refugees who were terrorists to slip into Canada. Some of these were suspected al quida cells!

Re-read the wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_and_the_Iraq_War

Canada as many other nations to get money from the USA finally joined the Iraq war.

"Canada, despite not joining the invading coalition, still participated in the conflict in Iraq,"

Frankly, I knew about Ressam, you used plural cells, but you can only name one terrorist -- who was caught at the border! Any others? Sadly, there have been many misinformed people touting all the terrorists streaming across the border, when in truth, there are home-grown terrorists caught more often than the one case you site from 1999. I have seen many more cases of terrorists who have lived in the US and were preparing attacks, incl those involved in 9/11.

Its always easy to blame others, despite the lack of evidence -- everyone needs a boogeyman. I recall this happening on Sept 11th 2001. A few politicians and media types cited that the terrorists may have come from Canada. Turned out to be false! Shame its a lie, but then again, don't let the truth get in the way of hysteria!

Your ADL report is from 2004. Its been 7 years since this report, what terrorists from Canada have slipped into the US? IIRC - NONE!

from your Wiki cite -
Still see no exchange of money by Canada for Iraq participation. I see them helping after the US and UK bombed the sh!t out of Iraq. I see them trying to train police after the war. I see Canada contributed $300mill to police training and reconstruction. I see nothing about US giving money to Canada.

An outdated article from ADL which turned out to be more scaremongering and unsupported in the subsequent 7 yrs, and a Wiki report, which does not support your assertion the US gave money to Canada for border security.
These are your cites?!?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Go search as I didn't intend to teach you a lesson on a 10 year war or Canada's internal agreements with the USA Homeland Security.

US did in fact via Bush Cabinet allocate millions to several countries that supported the Iraq effort. b In return the money was to be used for tightening the borders of all countries not just Canada which knew of existing problems but lacked the wealth to and resources to fix them,

Last edited by euromannn; Feb 7, 2011 at 9:56 pm
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Can we please lock this one down? It got started on vapor-based whining and it has degenerated into downright conspiracy theories. What does this have to do with Canadian immigration?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only Canadians who participated in the Iraq War (II) were ones on exchange or with multinational agencies (such as NORAD) which happens in lots of national forces (US, UK etc etc) - if an officer is on an exchange and the unit he is attached to goes and joins a war, unless it is against their own nation, they normally go to (they can't just vanish, leaving the unit an officer down). Canada never mobilized units of troops to participate in the invasion. Peacekeeping and rebuilding / retraining is a whole other kettle of fish, and has nothing to do with 'war' per se.

No one gave Canada a ton of money in return for 'sending its soldiers to war' or however you want to put it, because they never did.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by euromannn
Go search as I didn't intend to teach you a lesson on a 10 year war or Canada's internal agreements with the USA Homeland Security.
As you learned at school, that's not the way it's done - If I tell you the moon is made of cheese, then I should be able to cite several reputable references that back up my claim vis-a-vis lunar curds.

If I don't cite sufficient sources and someone challenges me on it, the correct course of action is to provide those references, not to respond by saying "Go search yourself."
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:23 pm

Canadian Immigration are totally different (nicer in general) people from the customs agents.

I am an international student in Canada, I was coming back to school at YYZ from a short trip in the U.S. and unfortunately I was faced with a young lady at customs who almost tore my passport apart and was amazed by the fact that I had written $0 for the value of goods brought back from the U.S. She couldn't believe that I bought nothing over there as if I was trying to hide something from her.

In addition to that, my old student permit had expired 2 days prior to my arrival but I renewed it online around 2 months before but did not receive it yet so I tried to explain, but seemed like she was more focused on being extremely cold, that she even forgot to scan my visa and handed everything back, then remembered and snatched it back from my hands.

She directed me to immigration, the guy there was very helpful, checked the system and got the confirmation that my permit was in fact renewed, and even welcomed me back.

Now I understand that this is just procedure and she's just doing her job but maybe instead of trying to be unwelcoming, focusing on doing the job properly could be beneficial.

To be fair, most of the time I got agents who were very chill, but I gotta say due to my middle-eastern background I used to worry about flying to the US due to the lengthy process at the U.S. customs (which I understand) but this time everything went so smoothly which I thought had surpassed the Canadian side.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
I, too, get very nervous when the Canadians question me. However, they've never done anything more than ask a lot of questions. I get so nervous that I'm ready to confess about anything, even for something I didn't do. I..I..I..I..don't..don't..have any goods or gifts.

However, once I had the courage to ask for a passport stamp. Stamp and he hands it back to me.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Maybe you got a student Customs agent. Tons of those in the summer and those are the ones who usually don't know what to do.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by blackrobe89
Canadian Immigration are totally different (nicer in general) people from the customs agents.
Yes, Immigration agents are with CIC. Customs/Border enforcement agents are with CBSA.

I am an international student in Canada, I was coming back to school at YYZ from a short trip in the U.S. and unfortunately I was faced with a young lady at customs who almost tore my passport apart and was amazed by the fact that I had written $0 for the value of goods brought back from the U.S. She couldn't believe that I bought nothing over there as if I was trying to hide something from her.
Yeah, I can understand about the $0 value of goods. People generally go to the US for shopping (unless they are frequent/business travelers). Seeing as your also a student, she imagined you are on a budget, and are looking for better deals.

In addition to that, my old student permit had expired 2 days prior to my arrival but I renewed it online around 2 months before but did not receive it yet so I tried to explain, but seemed like she was more focused on being extremely cold, that she even forgot to scan my visa and handed everything back, then remembered and snatched it back from my hands.
That, unfortunately is your fault. You shouldn't be traveling with expired documents (even though the real one is indeed renewed and somewhere in the postal system). She wasn't cold, she was pissed that your travel documents weren't in order (expired permit).

Now I understand that this is just procedure and she's just doing her job but maybe instead of trying to be unwelcoming, focusing on doing the job properly could be beneficial.
She was focusing on doing her job properly. She is empowered to do whatever actions she sees fit (legal of course) in order to verify your admissibility to Canada. Her job isn't to be nice.

--

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as rude/cold, but those are the facts. We have a fairly high rate of immigration fraud in this country, and the CBSA agent didn't overstep her legal authority in dealing with you.

Since you are not a Canadian citizen, she must make sure that you are admissible (whether your a student, temp worker etc), by asking/doing anything as long as she doesn't violate the Customs Act, Criminal Code and any other law she is bound by.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by alexb133
Yes, Immigration agents are with CIC. Customs/Border enforcement agents are with CBSA.
Incorrect

Every officer you'll ever meet at a port of entry is a member of the CBSA.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by ls17031
Incorrect

Every officer you'll ever meet at a port of entry is a member of the CBSA.
Yes, the officers at the POE are with CBSA. However, when you get referred to the little immigration office (before baggage claim), common sense leads me to believe they are with CIC.

If not, under what authority is the CBSA allowed to grant or deny immigration status?

CBSA acts as an enforcement agency for CIC.

A good example, is a permanent resident who doesn't live here.. When they show up at a POE, the CBSA will refer them to "immigration" (CIC) to determine whether they still have that status or not.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by alexb133
Yes, the officers at the POE are with CBSA. However, when you get referred to the little immigration office (before baggage claim), common sense leads me to believe they are with CIC.

If not, under what authority is the CBSA allowed to grant or deny immigration status?

CBSA acts as an enforcement agency for CIC.

A good example, is a permanent resident who doesn't live here.. When they show up at a POE, the CBSA will refer them to "immigration" (CIC) to determine whether they still have that status or not.
Article 4 (2) of the IRPA.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by ls17031
Article 4 (2) of the IRPA.
(2) The Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness is responsible for the administration of this Act as it relates to

(a) examinations at ports of entry;

(b) the enforcement of this Act, including arrest, detention and removal;

(c) the establishment of policies respecting the enforcement of this Act and inadmissibility on grounds of security, organized criminality or violating human or international rights; or

(d) determinations under any of subsections 34(2), 35(2) and 37(2).

CBSA only enforces immigration status.

Article 4 (1) states that
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration is responsible for the administration of this Act.

Therefore CIC is the only agency allowed to grant, deny, or revoke immigration status. CBSA removes, detains, and arrests individuals, based on decisions from its partner agency.

That's also the reason that Canada has two types of passport stamps. One that says Customs/Douanes which is only given by border officers. The other one is purple (I believe) that says Immigration Canada. That stamp is given by CIC.

I see what your saying. Your saying that by Art.4 (2)(a), CBSA is the only agency present at ports of entry. Though I really believe CIC is also present at POEs.
I will ask them that actually. When my driver's licence renews and I have to go update it in the Nexus office, I'll ask them. (unlike border control, they seem friendlier, and in a more talkative mood at the NEXUS office )
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan *E, Marriott Elite Silver
I've never found CBSA to be rude. Cold, yes. Unnecessarily cold and unfriendly, sure. But not rude. I've had my fair share of rude US border guards.

Cold = not smiling, not saying hello, how do you do etc.
Rude = raising voice (yelling), making rude comments, etc.

As a few people said, thank god for Nexus!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:55 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Are You People Idiots???

Get a NEXUS card this way you DON'T HAVE TO TALK TO ANYONE!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.