Search

VANCOUVER - 5 night stay end of holiday next year. Advice on mid range hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club : Marriott Rewards: Hilton Honors:
VANCOUVER - 5 night stay end of holiday next year. Advice on mid range hotels

Posted this on wrong thread originally!

We have 5 nights in YVR and looking for advice on "Mid Range" hotel.

We will be out most of the time so numerous hotel facilities are not essential.
We will not have a car so downtown location probably the best option

Any advice and guidance much appreciated.

Thank you
AHGOLF97
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Don't think this is the proper thread either! You'll be relocated to the Canada forum in the "Travel and Dining" wing of the establishment soon enough.

In Vancouver we like the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites in the West End / English Bay area. Comfortable, great neighborhood, walk to most everywhere, and well-priced. I don't know if it's a strong 3* or a low 4* but they get our repeat business:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/coas...f73604346ff9bc

Cheers
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
We stay at the 910 Beach apartment hotel when in Vancouver. Good location opposite Granville Island, plenty of local dining options and reasonable price.

BC
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:14 pm

We stayed at the St Regis at the start of the month. It was good; it's fairly recently refurbished and they do breakfast downstairs every morning. We paid just over Ł100 a night in the end (plus CAD25 per night parking for our hire car for part of our stay). It can be noisy if you're on the street, so ask for a room at the back.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
If you're an SPG fan then you could do worse than the Sheraton Wall Center. The North Tower is generally preferred as it's slightly newer.

See my Seattle/Vancouver TR for more.

PS. Check out this Italian if you get a chance!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Blue
We like the Wedgewood Hotel on Robson Square it's very centrally located, the rooms are good and all the staff are very good.
We usually stay in one of the suites which are good sized, well stocked and very comfortable.
Enjoy you stay in Vancouver it's one of our favorite cities.

DMF
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I originally booked Cascadia Suites who offer good value however there are loads to choose from. I cancelled them as got a better deal at the Hyatt this year. (booked May for travel July) Yes it is above mid range but very, very central and full breakfast was included (2 Ad and 1 Ch) which was very comprehensive and excellent and we only needed a very light bite for lunch.

I booked direct with them in a sale as cheaper than BA and IIRC was about Ł85 per night which bearing in mind includes Bfst and the convenience of the location thought it was great value for money.

Vancouver is a beautiful city and the bonus with this holiday was got UD both ways so a very memorable holiday. Hotels.com worth a look.

Think economic climate is still around for another few years so I'd expect some good hotel deals next year too?

Pete
Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: Too many...
Originally Posted by BearX220

In Vancouver we like the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites in the West End / English Bay area. Comfortable, great neighborhood, walk to most everywhere, and well-priced. I don't know if it's a strong 3* or a low 4* but they get our repeat business:

Cheers
+1^ stayed there a couple of times and always been good for me.

However if you like luxury at affordable rates you can subscribe to Fairmont Presidents Club who often offer some outstanding rates on the Fairmont and also the Waterfront in Vancouver.

See also the Fairmont thread re their NFAF special rates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...c-31-09-a.html

As well as the great rates great dates monthly offers

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...er-thread.html

Regards,

Jamie
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:51 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The area full of mid-to low-priced hotels is Granville south of Nelson street. In that vicinity there is a Holiday Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, etc.

Along Robson, the Westin Grand is well situated and each suite (they are all "suites"" with mini-kitchenettes (microwave, fridge, dishwasher) and is close to a lot of restaurants, shopping and transportation. Pacific Centre Mall is a a couple blocks west and at PC there is access to the SkyTrain and Canada Lines.

A few blocks west of the Westin is the Hampton Inn and Suites which is very convenient to both BC Place and GM Place stadia as well as a SkyTrain station.

There are a string of moderate, more independent, and therefore of variable quality, hotels on the far western side of Robson Street.

There is close to harbour a Marriott (the Pinnacle), the Delta Hotel, and a Renaissance Hotel as well.

Many many options!! Prices will rise in Vancouver between April/May until October/November. Prices will be insane -- if anything is even available -- during the Olympics.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Have stayed in both Sheraton Wall Center and Blue Horizon.

Both fine although Blue Horizon is perhaps a little better located as its on Robson Street, so close to shopping and restaurants/bars.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Platinum Royal Ambassador
I stayed at the Sandman Suites on Davie - reasonable price, full kitchen, in suite laundry facilities. Was real clean.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Bronze FWIW
We have stayed at the Pacific Palisades several times and going again in 2 weeks. The suites are nice and big, and anything above floor 10 will have a great view. Very clean, well situated and really great staff.

Oh, and they have free wine reception for guests every night ^
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Sylvia Hotel

I live in the downtown core of Vancouver and recommend the Sylvia Hotel: it is one of the oldest buildings in Vancouver, has the best location in terms of views, is definitely mid-priced and is family owned.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:57 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Robson Suites

We (wife + daughter) were in Vancouver a couple of months ago and can't rate Robson Suites/ highly enough. Proper suites with fully fitted kitchen, and loads of restaurants on the doorstep. It isn't in the middle of downtown, but if there are more than 2 of you I'd really recommend you having a look. Of course you could also check out tripadvisor reviews...
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver
Originally Posted by elizlouise
I live in the downtown core of Vancouver and recommend the Sylvia Hotel: it is one of the oldest buildings in Vancouver, has the best location in terms of views, is definitely mid-priced and is family owned.
+1 but it is normally booked up at least 3 months in advance.

You should be able to get some really good deals on the higher end hotels if you shop around, last April we used the Fairmont friends and family discount and also got a great deal on the Metropolitan Hotel (heart of downtown).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.