Wiki Posts
Search

3 open evenings in Vancouver... need restaurant advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Back of the bus
3 open evenings in Vancouver... need restaurant advice

I'll be in vancouver in a week and a half from the 19th (evening) to the 23rd (day). I pretty much have the 20th/21st/22nd free every evening.

Looking for some good recommendations for restaurants, not too worried about where they are, if they are on the skytrain, great, if not and I need to drive, no worries either!

Not too picky, though I'll likely skip sushi as I usually take my wife and she's not on this trip!

Any good thai, indian, etc?

Good steakhouses?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
This topic exists in the Canada forum: Vancouver Restaurant List
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
tojo's - the best sushi I've ever had
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:45 am

It's not a steakhouse, but the steak at Fuel (on 4th ave in Kits) is fantastic. It's prepared with a veal butter that is to die for. For a true steakhouse experience go to Gotham's.

Market, the restaurant at the Shangri-La hotel, has been getting a lot of hype lately. I'm not sure if it lives up to the hype, but it's certainly worth a go to find out for yourself. It's also surprisingly affordable.

And it's a bit of a tourist trap, but for fresh fish I've always liked the Sandbar on Granville Island.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
I eat out in Vancouver all the time. Not sure of your price point, so you may want to check the menus online. Those I have noted can be costly.

I would agree with Fuel, but go with a big appetite. They have a 9 course taster menu which you can do with a wine pairing that is awesome.

VJ's for Indian food. It is Indian food with a fusion twist and is one of the best rated Indian restaurants in North America. They don't take reservation but when you arrive, they show you to an area where complimentary h'orderves are served.

Zagat says about Vj's:

“Every meal is a sensual experience” at “consummate host” Vikram Vij’s West Sider, known equally for the “genial” chef-owner’s “personal touches” and for the “world-class”, “inventive interpretations” of Indian cuisine; while “the single detractor is a no-reservations policy” that can lead to “hour-plus line-ups”, the “back lounge is the best cocktail party in town” with “complimentary tasty treats” to “soothe the wait.”

Food 28 Decor 22 Service 25 (out of 30)

West is also one of the best rated restaurants in Vancouver and I really enjoy it as well. Good taster menu also.

Zagat Says about West:

Ranked No. 1 for Food in the Vancouver Survey, this “jewel in the city’s culinary crown” is “exquisite in every way”; chef Warren Geraghty creates “extraordinary” Pacific Northwest “dishes with divine flavours” that are paired with “superb” wines “graciously served” by an “exemplary” staff in a “stunning” West Side room; “it’ll cost you a pretty penny”, but for a “superlative” experience that will have “you floating home in a state of perfect serenity”, “go West as quickly as possible.”

Food 29 Decor 26 Service 27 (out of 30)

Fuel is not Zagat rated yet, but still well worth a visit. My guess is it would rate comparable to VJ's

Last edited by dmgt; Oct 8, 2009 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:24 am

Cardero's is great too...
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum
Cardero's is amazing:
http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html
Another great choice is Voya in the Loden hotel:
http://www.voya-restaurant.com/
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC E
As dmgt said, Vij's is excellent for Indian food. A couple other restaurants I really like are Banana Leaf for Malaysian and Kam's (warning: you'll have leftovers for sure) for Singaporean (and Thai). Note that Vij's doesn't take reservations, nor does the West End Banana Leaf (their other locations in Kits and Fairview do).
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:18 pm

Standard steakhouses people will likely list are:
Gotham's
Hy's Encore
Keg
Morton's
Player's Chophouse

I've only been to Gotham's and the Keg.
Gotham's: Located downtown. Serves USDA prime. Dishes are a la carte. Classic steakhouse appy's and sides. Had some great steaks there.

Keg: Very popular chain with various locations. AAA (~Choice grade) Canadian beef. Steaks come with a potato side (and veggies I think) and there are combo options with a salad. Quite the variety of appy's and sides. Steaks are good/ok but nothing to write home about. (ie. I've can have better grilling carefully chosen steaks from Costco at home.) I've been able to order Chicago style doneness here without complete confusion.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Update on Morton's!!!

Walked by it this afternoon. There's a sign stating they're now closed and the window signage have all been painted over.

Morton's is no more! ... at least, the Vancouver branch.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 1:11 am

That's too bad Morton's bit the dust. I wish I had tried them. Almost did a couple of times with their ~$110(?) CDN dinner for two special.

Location was kind of hidden at the back of Sinclair Centre IMO.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Update on Morton's!!!

Walked by it this afternoon. There's a sign stating they're now closed and the window signage have all been painted over.

Morton's is no more! ... at least, the Vancouver branch.
Oh well, another American overpriced chain restaurant bites the dust. No great loss.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Well... it was better than the mediocre offerings at the Keg. With the $100 promo, it wasn't bad at all.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I would definately say Vij's.
I guess maybe get what you can't get at home... I live in Hawaii so sushi is great here... in my case Vijs > Tojos...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC SE
There is only one answer to this question.

2x Tojo's
1x Vij's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.