Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to SJC - how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

LAX to SJC - how bad is it?

I have a flight scheduled for 1-6 from SAT --> LAX --> SJC for a business trip in Santa Clara. Been reading/hearing that another storm is on its way to LAX and SFO. How is this affecting San Jose/Santa Clara? I'm guessing that there will still be a delay just getting into/out of LAX, but also I'm not sure what kind of whether I'll be flying into once we get to Bay Area.

Could someone please provide some insight? Thanks in advance and for all of the great posts!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Welcome to FT, dylayne!

Things are pretty calm here in the Los Angeles, California, area right now. The rains aren't as bad as predicted (I just heard a flight passing overhead!). And, LAX isn't currently showing any delays. So, I wouldn't think that you'll have a very hard time getting to California. Of course, the situation will change as the day progresses. But, I also understand that this last wave of precipitation was to have been the strongest.

OTOH, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you experience delays getting from southern California to SJC. They've been getting the brunt of this up north and lower capacity flights (e.g. LAX-SJC) will be selectively delayed over hub-to-hub flights (are you flying UA or AA?). Even though SFO is always a mess at the first sign of bad weather, you may want to look into the possibility of flying stand-by into SFO; this may help you out if you've got the flexibility.

Check the FAA website before you leave:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Also, this should probably have been posted in the California forum. Don't be surprised if your thread gets moved there.

Good luck tomorrow!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Welcome to Flyertalk dylayne ,

Flyertalk is divided into many forums, one of which is the California forum.
As per iapetus's observation, this is where this thread is being moved.
Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi Shawn - I'll definitely check with the FAA site before my flight tomorrow. I'll be flying on SWA from Texas to Cali... hope things go smoothly.

Thanks for the tips and info! Hope you stay dry out there

- dylayne

Originally Posted by iapetus
Welcome to FT, dylayne!

Things are pretty calm here in the Los Angeles, California, area right now. The rains aren't as bad as predicted (I just heard a flight passing overhead!). And, LAX isn't currently showing any delays. So, I wouldn't think that you'll have a very hard time getting to California. Of course, the situation will change as the day progresses. But, I also understand that this last wave of precipitation was to have been the strongest.

OTOH, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you experience delays getting from southern California to SJC. They've been getting the brunt of this up north and lower capacity flights (e.g. LAX-SJC) will be selectively delayed over hub-to-hub flights (are you flying UA or AA?). Even though SFO is always a mess at the first sign of bad weather, you may want to look into the possibility of flying stand-by into SFO; this may help you out if you've got the flexibility.

Check the FAA website before you leave:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Also, this should probably have been posted in the California forum. Don't be surprised if your thread gets moved there.

Good luck tomorrow!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:29 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
dylayne, welcome to FlyerTalk.
iapetus, thanks for your advice and prediction. I was just preparing the reply and thread move as you posted, but my valued colleague, JOUY31, did the honors before I could complete this.
As far as L.A. area weather, there is rain forecast for Sunday 1/6.
As far as the Bay Area, raining off-and-on since this morning; with some thunderstorms. Far less severe than yesterday and though the rain will continue through Sunday, the severe weather/winds of yesterday aren't likely to recur. Flights today LAX->SJC on WN or UA are on time or only one delayed 45 mins. (Assuming LAX departures are not delayed because of local weather, the delays into SJC are usually minimal compared to SFO. With all respect to iapetus's advice, I'd stay with SJC this weekend if possible as SFO will be delayed so long as there's rain or low clouds in the airport area)

There is an extensive thread on our current Bay Area weather here in our San Francisco forum you can check.

Safe travels, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Assuming LAX departures are not delayed because of local weather, the delays into SJC are usually minimal compared to SFO. With all respect to iapetus's advice, I'd stay with SJC this weekend if possible as SFO will be delayed so long as there's rain or low clouds in the airport area
Hmm ... apparently the caveats to my suggestion that dylayne look into SFO as an alternate weren't clear. Believe me: I tend to avoid SFO (and ORD) at all costs during bad weather. But, as my understanding is that everyone up north is getting bad weather, more options are better than fewer. I guess that my advice about looking for hub-to-hub flights probably works best when UX flights are getting cancelled.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:54 pm

Also, keep in mind that your drive from SFO to SJC is going to take you 40 minutes to an hour or more depending on time of day, traffic and weather. I make the LAX-SJC flight several times a year and have family in SJC, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale and the general vicinity. Personally I wouldn't do the standby to SFO unless there was absolutely no way of getting to SJC within 5 or six hours. Just my two cents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.