Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Getting to Anaheim - San Diego vs. Santa Monica

Old Sep 27, 07, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage (Platinum)

So I'm thinking of coming to Anaheim to go to the ALDS the weekend after next - would it be better/more convenient for me to fly in and out of San Diego (and stay there) or LAX (and stay in Santa Monica)?

I'm not crazy about staying in Anaheim, because it seems as if there's not much to do there - is traffic any better getting there from SD than it would be from Santa Monica/LA?

Any info/guidance would be appreciated. . .

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 07, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, UA, DL, NW, Starwood and Marriott peon
Well San Diego is 95 miles from Anaheim, whereas Santa Monica is 39 miles. So, even given LA traffic, you are better off in Santa Monica. The trip from SM to Anaheim, if you travel off-peak (figure after 10:00 am) shoudl only be about 1:00 - 1:15. During rush hour you can double that.

The trip from San Diego is a long one. Google maps says 1:39 but that's a lie unless you are driving at 2 am.

Why not fly into SNA and stay in Huntington Beach or Newport. You get the beachiness of Santa Monica but it is much closer to Anaheim.
Old Sep 27, 07, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yeah, what he said!

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 07, 12:09 am

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP
I'd fly either into SNA or SAN. I live in North County San Diego and I can get into Santa Monica in about 1.5hr if there isn't much traffic. Although with San Diego you never know about the traffic (it's slowly turning into LA )

SNA area is beachy and cute and about a 30 min drive to Anaheim on the 55.
Old Sep 29, 07, 10:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Talking I'd pick Santa Monica.

I travel frequently from central Orange County to the San Diego area for business, and it's can be quite a tedious drive with uncertain commute times.

Anaheim itself only has Angels Stadium, Honda Center (Anaheim Ducks) and Disneyland. There isn't much else in the area and the neighborhoods immediately surrounding the Anaheim Resort area aren't as...um...nice.

Because the main purpose of your trip is to watch the Angels win, I agree with delmargal, stay around SNA. You're close to Angels Stadium, the airport area has plenty of hotels, you can visit Huntington and Newport Beaches, and still get to Santa Monica in fair time. You are still within good distance of San Diego.
Personally, I like to go to Old World German Village in Huntington Beach for Octoberfest.

There's much to do! Heck...stay an extra week and watch the ALCS live in Anaheim!

Steve

Last edited by stevechin; Sep 29, 07 at 10:44 pm
Old Oct 4, 07, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum, DL MM
I live in SAN and have an office in Santa Monica so I am very familiar with this drive. Depending on the time of day, it can take longer to get to Anaheim from Santa Monica than from SAN. I would stay near SNA unless you need to be in Santa Monica or SAN
Old Oct 4, 07, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Southwest A List
Fly into SNA stay in Laguna or Newport and your 25 - 40 minutes from Edison Field depending on traffic. Don't do San Diego or Santa Monica on a weekend.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: