CBS' The Price is Right

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBS' The Price is Right

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Question CBS' The Price is Right

I have two tickets to see live taping of the Price is Right in L.A. next month.

Has anyone been to the show? How early should we arrive at the CBS Television to ensure we'll make it to the audience list?

I was supposed to go last year. However due to L.A.'s traffic, got there late and missed the screening process. I was staying in San Diego at the time.

Thanks in advance ^
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've only been to one show (Leno's), but IIRC you need to get there 1-2 hours early. Bring something to read while standing in line. Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Early, early, early, and earlier. 6 AM is too late. Check out:

http://golden-road.net/grnoldx/modul...rder=0&thold=0

http://www.golden-road.net/modules/n...4&post_id=3191
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The following is excerpted from a recent NY Times article (under fair use, I can only post a portion of this restricted article):

How Much Is That Washer-Dryer?; Old and Young, 'Black, White and Brown,' Fans Line Up for Chance to 'Come On Down'
By JENNIFER STEINHAUER (NYT)
Published: June 13, 2006

LOS ANGELES - The daytime television schedule may be littered with gabby talk shows, sunny news programs and adjudications of who, precisely, put his foot through the window of the neighbor's El Camino. But nearly 35 years since Bob Barker first beckoned Americans to come on down, his game show, ''The Price Is Right,'' continues to corner a certain market.

Thousands of fans -- from 19-year-old Midwestern college students to octogenarians who have had crushes on Mr. Barker since he and they were middle-aged -- continue to line up along Fairfax Avenue here at 3 a.m., four days a week, most of the year, hoping for one of the 325 spots in the studio audience.....

..... They stay by the dozens at the Farmer's Daughter hotel across the street from the CBS studio where ''The Price Is Right'' is taped, and get a nightly tutorial from a desk clerk on how to become members of the studio audience......

..... The audience is largely filled by groups on buses who are guaranteed seats. The rest are fans who line up, often beginning at midnight, for the extra spots, which are doled out on a first-come-first-served basis. Some days there are two, others 200.

For these fans Ted Ott, a clerk at the Farmer's Daughter, gives free workshops each night before tapings (two on Mondays and one Tuesday through Thursday).

Mr. Ott, who lines up on his day off, uses a broken section of a backgammon board to represent the ''Price Is Right'' studio, and lectures for roughly 40 minutes, in between checking in guests.

He gives the following advice: Do not wear costumes. (''The show's producers have a horror of waking up and finding out they are on 'Let's Make a Deal,' '' he said.) Show up on time to get your four-digit line-spot number, and guard it with your life.

If you get a spot in the audience -- and are thus granted a 20-second interview with the producer to see if you might be called down -- be clever. Don't go to the restroom when people are being called down. If you are thinking of bringing in a cheat sheet on prices, think again, because that is a felony.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:24 pm

Growing up close to Los Angeles, my brother and I would often take out of town family to the Price Is Right tapings. Though it has been a number of years, we always arrived early, as the entire process was quite lengthy. Initially, one arrives and is held in a waiting area. After a couple of hours, you are issued your price tag name tag and then area allowed to leave for 2-3 hours. With the Beverly Center shopping center just a few blocks away as well as the Farmers Market, it is easy to spend the time wandering around. You then return for a quick interview, where, if I recall correctly, three interviewers ask a number of quick questions. From those quick interviews, they determine who will be a contestant.

You are then lead into the studio for the show. While I was never chosen in my many trips down to the CBS Studio, the mother of a high school friend of mine was, she won the showcase showdown.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
I would call TV City

I bet nowadays they have added some kind of enhanced security screening process, adding to the time it takes to get in.

Considering the Grove is right next door, which is one of the biggest tourist attractions in LA, you might want to draw straws, leave one person in line and let the others shop and keep in touch via cell phone.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the info given so far.

Anyway .. I think I'm going to plan on being there by 4am at the very latest and will bring a folding chair and cd player with me.

My friend sent me an email today to say he can't get the days off so I guess I'll be going alone

Thanks again and please post up if you have more info.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I'd get there as early as possible. That show has a pretty fanatic following. If you want to attend a few shows, you can tickets at various locations in LA--a visit to Universal City (the mall) is in order!
Old Sep 9, 2006, 3:12 am
Original Poster

After further reading on the tips to go see The Price is Right online, I've decided to be there by 3AM

I'll bring my laptop with me and watch a movie while waiting in line. I also read that a bagel place across the street rents out folding chair so no need to bring one

As for parking .. they said there's a parking garage at the Grove next door but nowhere it says the cost to park there for half a day. Does anyone know?

Also, how long is the drive from SD to LA that early in the morning?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk

Also, how long is the drive from SD to LA that early in the morning?
1.5 hours going faster than 65
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:43 pm

I went to the Price is Right with a friend about 2 years ago. I stayed at the Renaissance/Hollywood-Highlands and took a taxi to the studios. We arrived approximately 4:30 am and I was #69 in line. #1 and #2 were a honeymoon couple that slept in beach chairs on the sidewalk. They'd arrived at 10:30 pm. #67 and #68 were retired military, on their 5th visit to the show, the second that week.

Keep in mind that the average FlyerTalker is not the average TPIR contestant. These people need to win a new car - that's the only way they're getting one.

There is a bagel place across the street, and people are very friendly.

We waited a couple of hours until CBS/the parking lot opened at 6 or 7. Then another couple of hours to get tickets to return for the taping at 3? or so. We grabbed an hour of sleep at the hotel, and then back again to wait in line for the interview. (It was interesting to see the people that came back, early numbers tended to lots more makeup - often big lashes/big hair 80's style). #1 and #2 were never on camera. As #69 (I'm not joking on my number) I was on camera over 20 times when the show was aired.

If there is a group (over 25 people?) - they're guaranteed to have one person selected as a contestant.

20 people line up at a time for the quick producer intervew, 'tell me about yourself'... #67 was selected, I think because I was teaching him the YMCA dance that he didn't know when he attended the previous taping.

You'll be surprised at how small the set is.

What surprised me most is that when they show, "And you'll be staying in this glamorous hotel..." the camera is actually zooming in on a 8x11 picture of the hotel.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Alright guys, I did it. I finally attended the taping of the Price is Right!

Anyway, I drove straight after I picked up my rental car from Thrifty in San Diego. It was a 3 hours drive because first, I was not speeding and obeyed the speed limit and second is because I got lost in downtown L.A. (had some scary moments there)

I got to the studio at 2 A.M and there were 13 people already waiting in line. I was really tired so I decided to park my car and sleep for an hour. At 3 A.M, there were two other people came in so I was #16 in line.

The process was pretty long and lengthy and required a lot of waiting and sitting around. I made lots of friends from talking to the people waiting in line. I didn't get picked however this guy next to me in line was picked and won the showcase showdown (a new car). They do pick someone who's "cheerful" as a contestant and the studio is quite small. Since I was alone, they put me in an extra seat by the contestant row up front.

It was definitely a memorable experience for me and worth the trouble I had to go through. My show will air on November 15th
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:54 pm

My wife and I went a few months ago, and yeah, it's a lot of standing around and waiting.

Of course, we didn't get picked either, but we were shown on TV a little bit. I edited the footage together to show to our friends..

http://www.icedlatte.com/picts/pir-low.mov

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.