Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just wanted to say thanks once again for all the great advice given above. We have had a wonderful week at the Four Seasons in Carlsbad, which is a truly exceptional hotel, both in terms of the facilities and the service. The whole San Diego area is really a beautiful part of the country and we have had a great time visiting the zoo, La Jolla, Mission Beach, Carlsbad village and more. The hotel has been a great hit with the kids for its pools, and games room (complete with all kinds of arcade games), and surfing lessons down at the beach. Carlsbad village and beach are also great places to spend time. CLD airport must rank the easiest to use in the world. Landed 10 minutes early at 1145, and within 10 minutes we had collected our luggage from the arrivals "hut" and were in our Avis car, and 10 minutes later were checking into the Four Seaons down the road. Tomorrow is our last day, and we are heading up to Disneyland in the evening, and on to the Beverly Hills Hilton for the rest of our stay. Lucky people all of you that live in the San Diego area, it really is a great place.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks for the update, Smirnoff. I'm glad that you enjoyed my favorite airport and our beautiful city and county.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP
public trans from lax to san diego?

anyone know how to get from lax to san diego area? looks like amtrak is a ways from lax. there must be some other transportation . . . otherwise i can look into a one way car rental (lax out, return to san)
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:06 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
You may also look into the FlyAway bus from LAX to Grand Central then the Amtrak to San Diego. Flying is also an option, but it is considerably more expensive. About $250 one-way.

If it were me, I would either look into renting a car or taking Amtrak. The train ride is quite interesting, as is the drive.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:01 pm
In memoriam

Me, I'd rent a car.

But, I do recall reading, perhaps in the L.A. Times, about an intrepid traveler who took a shuttle or bus to Disneyland and then took another bus to SD. There are a lot of shuttles and tour buses serving Disneyland. I often see shuttles labeled Disneyland at LAX hustling for passengers. Probably would work, if you were not in a big hurry. And, it is more direct than going to Union Station in downtown L.A. Although the Flyaway bus service to Union Station only costs a few bucks.

According to the story, it is also possible to take local bus transit from LAX to Long Beach through Orange County and on to San Diego at a cost of about $8. But, it could take all day and might be a bit inconvenient.

Or, you could take a shuttle to Disneyland and then pick up the Pacific Surfliner (12 trains a day) at the Anaheim Amtrak station. Might have to take a cab to the station from Disneyland.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The options are exactly what you think they are.

The train takes 2 hours, 45 minutes and costs $29. Los Angeles Union Station is a long cab ride from LAX.

The bus takes two to three hours from downtown LA and costs $17. There's about 15 Greyhounds a day. I don't know of any scheduled bus that goes right from LAX to San Diego.

There are about 800 flights a day LAX-SAN.

Renting a car for the one-way drive will cost you about $80 plus gas, all in.

The LAX ground transportation guide is here.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
The train takes 2 hours, 45 minutes and costs $29. Los Angeles Union Station is a long cab ride from LAX.
The Union Station FlyAway is the best option for getting from LAX to Union Station if you want to catch an Amtrak train, IMHO.

This should have been posted to the California sub-forum.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
According to the story, it is also possible to take local bus transit from LAX to Long Beach through Orange County and on to San Diego at a cost of about $8. But, it could take all day and might be a bit inconvenient.
Not $8... In that direction it's $7.65
And the other direction it's cheaper at $5.75

But seriously, if you're booking early, you might try Megabus, who sells the first few seats on their San Diego - LA busses for $1...and the next fare bucket is $5. Megabus departs from Downtown's Union Station....but grabbing the airport FlyAway bus to LAX there is a snap, and will run you $4. (and yes, those prices really exist, I just snagged $1 tickest LA - SFO!!!)
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:19 pm
In memoriam

On the TV news tonight, announcement of a new shuttle service from Disneyland to the Anaheim Amtrak station, meeting every Pacific Surfliner train, cost is $3. Kids ride free for a few months, then $1. This might make the shuttle to Disneyland and switch there to Amtrak a lot easier and somewhat cheaper.

Many types of Shuttles are also available from LAX - [email protected] posted the following helpful info. on the RAD newsgroups:

There are several shuttle bus services that run between LAX and Disneyland. They are all in the $20+ range and I have found that if you go out to the street where they are all lined up you can haggle with the drivers for the best price. On our last trip my wife and I went to the Disneyland Hotel for $19 for both of us. Just go to one driver ask his price and then go to the next and say that guy wants $X to go to Disneyland, what's your price? Most drivers will drop their price just to get a fare than just sit at the airport. Best time to try this is in the middle of the week when things are kind of slow.

There are also busses leaving from LAX every 5 minutes making stops at all the major and the small motels at. Just tell the driver which one you want to be let off at. Around $14 one way.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum, DL MM
Amtrak has a bus that goes from LAX to Union Station (in Los Angeles)there you simply catch the train to SAN.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:53 pm
In memoriam

Yep, but that takes you out of the direct way. Anaheim is halfway to SD, more or less. But, although it might take longer, going to Union Station might be simpler.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by uscsailor
Amtrak has a bus that goes from LAX to Union Station (in Los Angeles)there you simply catch the train to SAN.
That's the FlyAway bus chartered by LAWA (operated by a contract coach bus company), not Amtrak.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA
If it's still running, you can catch the Flyaway shuttle between LAX and Union station.

You can also go the exciting and inexpensive route documented in the Budget Travel forum, that gets you between Los Angeles and San Diego for less than $20...in six hours!
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
While I can not in good conscious be a party to anyone "flogging the dog" (riding Greyhound)....

One could get downtown to Union Station (via the previously mentioned FlyAway Bus) and then ride Amtrak south.

Another possibility by train from Union Station that works best during commuter hours is to catch the Metrolink train to Oceanside ($12.75 weekdays/ $9.50 weekends) and then change for the Coaster ($5.50) (M-F w/ reduced Sat. service) The seats are a bit less comfy, and there's no snack car... (but one can grab snacks both at Union Station and across the street from Oceanside station)

Last edited by mlshanks; Jun 5, 2009 at 12:14 pm Reason: demise of Megabus CA service
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:39 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
Got to love "US transportation". I wish we'd take after EU countries in this matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.