Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
The only downside for taking Greyhound bus from Downtown LA is the station is located in an area that is not accessible by transit (!)
The Flixbus stop however is quite close to Union Station: https://www.flixbus.com/bus-schedule...los-angeles-ca
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
We're looking at our options to get from LAX to San Diego, as I see it I have 3.

1. Pony up for the airfare at $600 roundtrip for 3 people all in.

2. Surfliner going from union station to San Diego $200 For all 3 tickets plus $70 each way from LAX to Union Station. $340 all in. Downside is the LA traffic to and from the train station.

3. 60k air miles and $20.

I am leaning towards burning some air miles. What would you do and is there an option I haven't thought about?
LAX-SAN shouldn't be more than $150 round trip - certainly thats the rate on DL and UA.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Tesloop has ended operations, so it's no longer an option.

For parties of 3 or more, if you don't want to drive, Uber/Lyft becomes a very reasonably priced option if you are facing last minute airfares of $200+ per person. Depending on where you go, the one-way UberX / standard Lyft price is ~$150-200.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:28 am

LAX - best way from San Diego?

I live in San Diego, but my husband and I will be flying next month from LAX, and I'm trying to figure out the best option. Best -- meaning easiest and least expensive. I could uber from my house to the train station, take the train to LA then the bus to the airport. Cheap (I think) but may be time-consuming and a hassle. I could drive to LAX and leave my car there. Are there inexpensive airport parking places? Other suggestions.?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pqflyer
I live in San Diego, but my husband and I will be flying next month from LAX, and I'm trying to figure out the best option. Best -- meaning easiest and least expensive. I could uber from my house to the train station, take the train to LA then the bus to the airport. Cheap (I think) but may be time-consuming and a hassle. I could drive to LAX and leave my car there. Are there inexpensive airport parking places? Other suggestions.?
One-way car rental.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:15 pm

If you just search for LAX parking, you will get dozens of results. There are at least a few websites which offer comparison pricing of dozens of nearby lots after you enter your dates. Many nearby hotels also offer cheap long term parking and a free shuttle to the airport. You should easily be able to find parking for $10/day or less. LAX's own long term lot E is $12/day (total, including fees), which is a relative bargain by airport parking lot standards, but not the cheapest at LAX, where there is so much competition. Fox Parking usually has some of the lowest parking rates, but definitely do a comparison first to verify.

The easiest way depends on the traffic. Considering that the traffic to/from SD seems to be absolutely terrible all the time lately, Amtrak would be much less of a hassle than sitting in traffic for 3 hours. From Union Station, you could take the Flyaway directly to LAX. It is not usually the fastest route, but the train is very relaxing and scenic. Alternately, you could probably cut an hour off of the journey by taking the train to the Norwalk station and catch an Uber/Lyft to LAX from there if the traffic on the WB 105 is not too bad. The train is 3 hours from downtown SD to downtown LA, and the Flyaway would be 30-60 minutes, depending on the traffic.

Last edited by downinit; Sep 26, 2019 at 7:15 am Reason: updated train travel time
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by downinit
The train is 2 hours from SD to downtown LA
Which Amtrak timetable are you looking at?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by downinit
If you just search for LAX parking, you will get dozens of results.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:17 am

Good thought. Pretty expensive though. Looks like my best option is to drive to LAX and pay for parking. Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Which Amtrak timetable are you looking at?
Actually, it has been a while since I have gone the full way from DTLA to SD, as I usually catch the train in Fullerton. So maybe it is 2 hours from Fullerton. Sadly, the last two times I was going to take the train to SD happened to coincide with the two weekends in the last year where they closed the train for track repairs, so it has been well over a year since I made the trek at all.

Either way, the main advantage of Amtrak is only if you view it as part of the vacation. You can bring some wine and cheese on-board (or purchase it in the lounge car) and enjoy a relaxing trip. Personally, I finding driving between SD and LA to be absolute hell on earth, so any alternative where I am not confined to a seat and stuck in traffic is a huge plus. It is definitely not the cheapest of fastest way to go, but it is the only way where I arrive relaxed and happy.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Metrolink works for your schedule it's about $14.75 from Oceanside to Norwalk (about an hour and a half), or $16.75 to Union station (2 hours). It's only $10 on weekends. Earlier this year I did a bike trip where we biked from home to the gold line, about 20 minutes to union station, 2 hours to Oceanside, and then a few miles on the bikes to the hotel and it was faster and easier than driving usually is from Pasadena to Oceanside.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:50 pm

It will depend upon the length of the trip and the hotel rate, but sometimes it's cheaper to get a hotel package at an airport hotel that includes a room for the night and X days of parking. You don't actually need to spend the night in the room.

If you call direct, many hotels let you put the hotel room portion of the package at the end of the X days of parking. If your LAX flights are international, it make be nice to have a room on the return trip just to have a private shower. And if you're flight is overnight, it might be nice to have the option of taking a nap. That's safer than driving when you're tired.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:50 pm

Thanks so much for all the replies. I considered several options -- and finally just booked parking near LAX. It was around $90 for 13 days. We're arriving at the airport midday so the driving time shouldn't be too bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.