Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If the OP opts to take Amtrak and will be traveling before December 20, this discount might be worth investigating:

https://www.amtrak.com/promotions/sa...a-train-travel

I'm not sure where the estimate of $70 each way between LAX and L.A. Union Station is coming from. Uber seems to be coming up for less than that, and the Flyaway (express) bus is another inexpensive option. If the OP decides to take the train and elects to use Uber or a similar service, I'd also look into boarding Amtrak at Fullerton, rather than Union Station. From LAX, Fullerton is further than Union Station, but you might make up the higher carfare with a lower train fare -- and you'd start your train trip one stop closer to San Diego.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

We rent a car and drive. I've looked at a variety of ways to make the trip and keep returning to driving. Yes, I know folks who take the train, but the service isn't particularly frequent and you really burn a lot of time getting to the station and waiting for the train. Supposedly you can take Uber but I never have confidence that the driver will be willing to drive so far (125 miles). I've priced limo services and found them too expensive for my taste ($400-ish). There is Tesla service but it doesn't pick you up at the airport, you have to go to an offsite location. https://www.tesloop.com/
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
A bit more info.

We don't want to drive in LA. I've done it once and it's not much fun.

We're landing at LAX at 1700 and have a hotel booked the night we arrive. None of us can face a train or plane having just been sat on a plane for 11 hours so we're planning on heading down to San Diego after breakfast the following day.

I looked online and there's a flat fare taxi fee of 46 bucks plus charges and tips, I reckon the airport to train station will be just shy of 70 bucks. I've never used uber and won't have mobile data to call one.

I can't get the 25% discount to work, if I could that might make it economical to use the train one way and fly the return.

thanks all for your insight!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
We're looking at our options to get from LAX to San Diego, as I see it I have 3.
Hi @USA_flyer,

I merged your question into the consolidated encyclopaedic thread on this topic. You may find additional ideas up thread.

TWA884
California and Los Angeles moderator
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

...plus $70 each way from LAX to Union Station.
The LAX FlyAway bus goes non-stop from LAX to Union Station. It departs every 30 minutes (at 10 and 40 past the hour, starting at T1). Once out of the airport, it is as fast as driving or taking a taxi or Uber/Lyft. The fare is $9.75 pp each way, for a total of under $30 each way for a party of 3. There are no extra charges. Even with a tip, it is still less than half of what you're quoting.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, two other options.

One, to get to Union Station, you could take a) the LAX G shuttle (free) to go from LAX to the Metro Green Line Station ('tho this is ambiguous online whether the shuttle is right now going to the Aviation Station or the Hawthorne Station due to construction) and then b) take the Green Line to the Blue Line and then connect on the Red or Purple Lines to go to Union Station ($1.75 per person). While this likely the cheapest between LAX and Union Station, it will require a bit of focus and probably not really recommended after a long international flight.

Two, contact Uber directly via e-mail to find out how much a one way would be from LAX to your SAN hotel.

Good luck.

David
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, two other options.

One, to get to Union Station, you could take a) the LAX G shuttle (free) to go from LAX to the Metro Green Line Station ('tho this is ambiguous online whether the shuttle is right now going to the Aviation Station or the Hawthorne Station due to construction) and then b) take the Green Line to the Blue Line and then connect on the Red or Purple Lines to go to Union Station ($1.75 per person). While this likely the cheapest between LAX and Union Station, it will require a bit of focus and probably not really recommended after a long international flight.

Two, contact Uber directly via e-mail to find out how much a one way would be from LAX to your SAN hotel.

Good luck.

David
1) I have done the Green Line-Blue Line-Redple Line transfer before. I do not recommend it at all unless you're either on a college-student budget or a transit geek. For normal people, the FlyAway bus is absolutely the way to go. It's cheap and frequent.
2) I doubt Uber will quote you a price by email. Rates change all the time based on supply and demand. They'll tell you to use the app. That's a heck of a drive to hire a car/drive for; either rent your own (driving in L.A. is not that bad) or take the train.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

There is a new company called "Flixbus" that is advertising service between LA and San Diego for less than $10. I have no idea how comfortable/reliable they are, but I thought I'd post it here if anyone is interested.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by cbn42
There is a new company called "Flixbus" that is advertising service between LA and San Diego for less than $10. I have no idea how comfortable/reliable they are, but I thought I'd post it here if anyone is interested.
Interesting. i hadn't heard of it.

https://www.flixbus.com/bus-routes/b...a-san-diego-ca

It appears to start in downtown Los Angeles or Commerce and go to three destinations in San Diego, La Jolla, Old Town and Mission Valley. The La Jolla destination is Westfield UTC mall. That could be useful for some of the UCSD foreign kids we host.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
Greyhound is offering $10 one-ways on that route also, at least on some days. Scheduled travel time is less than what it is for Amtrak!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Greyhound is offering $10 one-ways on that route also, at least on some days. Scheduled travel time is less than what it is for Amtrak!
I looked at Greyhound but the website couldn't find a route between LA and San Diego. I must have been searching wrong.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:29 am

I looked at Greyhound but the website couldn't find a route between LA and San Diego. I must have been searching wrong.
Here it is:
One-way fares start at $10-17 depending on the day of the week.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The only downside for taking Greyhound bus from Downtown LA is the station is located in an area that is not accessible by transit (!)

It is located far away from Union Station or any of the Metro stations so you have to transfer to a local bus to get there. It is highly inconvenient.

If you are starting from the LAX area and taking the Flyaway bus to Union Station, I recommend taking Amtrak rather than Greyhound.

Last edited by bzcat; Sep 18, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
The only downside for taking Greyhound bus from Downtown LA is the station is located in an area that is not accessible by transit (!)

It is located far away from Union Station or any of the Metro stations so you have to transfer to a local bus to get there. It is highly inconvenient.

If you are starting from the LAX area and taking the Flyaway bus to Union Station, I recommend taking Amtrak rather than Greyhound.
With the Amtrak discount and using the Flyaway bus, I can do the round trip LA to SD for @£500. That makes it @£150 more expensive than flying.

I'm gonna investigate the Greyhound.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you are thinking of doing Greyhound, you might want to consider starting in Long Beach.
It's a bit shorter of a ride down to San Diego and you can also get to Long Beach via Flyaway bus from LAX.
If you can change your hotel booking, you can also consider booking in downtown Long Beach, where there are plenty of hotels and restaurants within walking distance.
Then, the following morning, you can head to the Greyhound station, about 1.5 miles from downtown Long Beach - a short cab ride.
TWA884 likes this.

Last edited by OskiBear; Sep 19, 2018 at 4:43 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.