Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Old Dec 5, 04, 7:06 pm

Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
I just did SAN-LAX last week. The one way car rental was about $60 from Hertz.
Old Oct 3, 05, 7:23 am
Suspended

Any more suggestion on the most efficient way to get from San Diego to LAX ?

I have ruled out renting a car (not used to driving on right side of road) and a one way flight SAN-LAX costs around USD250 per passenger !!!

It seems that the most "cost" efficient way is to take the Amtrak from San Diego to Union Station and then a cab to LAX, but I would probably have to allow 3.5-4.0 hr for the journey.

How about a car service or a shuttle service that goes direct from San Diego to LAX ? How much is it going to cost ? Any recommendation for a reliable car service or shuttle service ?

Is traffic expected to be heavy on a Sunday evening in that direction ?

Thanks
Old Oct 3, 05, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Dupe, sorry, read on.
Old Oct 3, 05, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Driving's not that difficult. It's dual-carriageway Interstate all the way, just point and go, and it's by far the fastest and cheapest option.

The train would be the next best alternative, but it's comparatively very slow. Station-to-station travel time, San Diego to L.A.'s Union Station, is 2 hours, 45 minutes. Add in getting to the station at one end, waiting around for departure, then another hour at the other end to get from Union Station to LAX, and you're looking at close to five hours all in. Driving takes half that time.

Flying: very expensive when the ticket isn't purchased as part of a longer trip, as you've discovered. Hiring a limo will approach the cost of flying.

Honestly, the drive is easy. If I can stumble off an overnight transatlantic flight into LHR and jump on the M4 into the morning rush hour in Hammersmith, you can do this.
Old Oct 3, 05, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Where in San Diego? Neither of SD nor LA are compact cities, and there is a good distance separating the airports and the rail stations.

Prime Time Shuttle (www.primetimeshuttle.com ) quotes $197 total for a van seating up to 7, one-way from LAX to SD (neighborhood unspecified). Express Shuttle (www.expressshuttlelosangeles.com ) quotes about the same.

Given the distance from LAX to downtown, I wonder if it is in the OP's interest to take a shuttle to Anaheim and catch the train from there; I'm sure there must be a variety of tourist shuttles headed for Disneyland. Both Prime Time and Express Shuttle quotes $60-70+ ow from LAX to Anaheim. Doesn't save much in train fare, but it does eliminate some backtracking while retaining the scenic portion of Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner.

LAWA says that Metropolitan Express (310-417-505) runs buses between LAX and Union Station.

I've never used any of these shuttle services, however. Driving is almost always the best option in California anywhere outside the core of the San Francisco Bay Area.
Old Oct 3, 05, 10:26 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by mario33

I have ruled out renting a car (not used to driving on right side of road)

Is traffic expected to be heavy on a Sunday evening in that direction ?
Traffic is never heavier north from San Diego to Los Angeles than on a Sunday evening. Never.

This is some of the worst traffic in Southern California, which is saying a lot. Angelenos are returning from the weekend in Mexico and San Diego, tired and hungover or worse.

We are often southbound on a Sunday evening, returning from Los Angeles or up the coast, and the N/B I-5 traffic never fails to drop my jaw. And you are used to driving on the other side, looking over the other shoulder, exiting on the opposite side? Wait until you are on a SoCal freeway at night where more than half the vehicles are big RVs, SUVs or trucks (fact).

How many in your party? Under four, take a taxi to the Amtrak in SD, ride to Union Station, take another taxi to LAX. Four or more, take one of the SAN-LAX ground shuttles described above.

My $.02.
Old Feb 9, 06, 10:14 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Train from LAX,SNA,BUR to SAN

Fares to SAN are outrageous. How available is train transportaion from the LA airports?? thanks in advance

Last edited by ingy; Feb 9, 06 at 10:15 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 9, 06, 10:21 am

From LAX, starting in mid-March, you'll be able to take a Flyer bus to Union Station, from which Amtrak runs to SD. The bus is about $6 one-way, and the train about $20. Otherwise you can use the shuttle, Green Line and Blue Line to get to Union Station, but that will take over an hour. From Union Station the train ride is about 2:45.
Old Feb 9, 06, 10:22 am

I dont know if there is direct train to and from LAX to SAN, but there is some Greyhound bus departing from downtown and also Amtrak train departing from the main train station.

Kevin
Old Feb 9, 06, 11:52 am

Yes, Amtrak runs a bunch of trains to SD on their Surfliners. Check amtrak.com
Old Feb 9, 06, 12:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You might find some ideas in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489998
Old Feb 10, 06, 1:44 am

Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
Originally Posted by ingy
Fares to SAN are outrageous. How available is train transportaion from the LA airports?? thanks in advance
HAHAHAHA. Yeah, right. Dude, you need a car in L.A. If you can drive back to LA rent a car on Priceline for $15. If you can't, get a one way rental for maybe $50.
Old Feb 14, 06, 3:04 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by ingy
From LAX (as others have mentioned) getting to the train is a bit of a trek on public transportation...

...but you have another option!

If you can reasonably fly into Burbank, there is a train station across the street from the terminal. Amtrak and Metrolink trains both stop there. The former can take you all the way south to San Diego, the latter will get you downtown where you can change to Amtrak.

Last edited by mlshanks; Feb 14, 06 at 3:07 am
Old Feb 14, 06, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by mbstone
HAHAHAHA. Yeah, right.
I had the same reaction

On another (very small) side note... if you arrive at SNA, there's an express bus (doesn't run very often) to the Tustin Metrolink station, which then you could transfer to Amtrak at a downline station, or perhaps hook up with the San Diego Coaster commuter train.

IMHO, just rent a car or fly to SAN.
Old Feb 15, 06, 4:48 pm

BUR - San Diego: direct service on AMTRAK

As mlshanks stated, just fly to BUR and take AMTRAK direct to San Diego. The AMTRAK station (actually it's more like an open-air platform, so buy your ticket ahead of time) is adjacent to the airport and is walkable, however there's also a free shuttle.

You didn't mention your dates, but here is the current schedule:

Train 768: Dep BUR 08:59AM / Arr San Diego 12:25PM
Train 774: Dep BUR 11:27AM / Arr San Diego 03:10PM
Train 784: Dep BUR 04:25PM / Arr San Diego 07:50PM
Train 792: Dep BUR 07:06PM / Arr San Diego 10:45PM

Fare (One Way): $28.00 (or $25.20 if you're an AAA member)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: