Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Go up the night before and stay at a hotel near the airport - use points or drive your own car and get a park and stay package. That is what we do all the time with am flights out of SFO.
I agree.....

There are MANY airports that offer park fly, and stay packages where you spend a night and can leave your car for your travels (day limit of some sort usually 7, 10, 14 days depending on hotel).

The cost at many of the hotels isnt much different thatn the cost of you parking at the aiport lot on your own.

This is the cheapest option.

Doing these park/stay packages your hotel points count. The only issue is if you use points or a free night voucher to stay at the hotel you may have to pay extra to park because the park/stay package is a different rate than a regular nights stay.

This also depends on your itinerary.....this is difficult to do with an evening departure and morning arrival. Under this scenario I say just drive up and park at the economy lot. Buffer time for the expectant traffic so you are parked at least 2 hrs before your flight
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: QF Silver
+1 on the stay & park packages. I do it a couple of times a year at LAX and it truly makes for a relaxing trip - no worries about traffic, flat tires, or even Carmageddon.

My favorite place is the HGI El Segundo which is on Mariposa street. A newer hotel which is only about 10 minutes away from the airport and is in a quieter industrial area...I hate the hotels on Century Blvd. from a noise/traffic/parking perspective. Last time I was there the front desk just said to go ahead & leave my car there for 3 days no charge as they weren't very full (do have status with HH though so YMMV.)

Although if you do decide to take the train also look at the LAX flyway bus service from Union Station instead of a shuttle/taxi -- $7 PP.

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=4696

Last edited by Zarf4; Sep 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm Reason: added link
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by Zarf4
Although if you do decide to take the train also look at the LAX flyway bus service from Union Station instead of a shuttle/taxi -- $7 PP [one way].

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=4696
+1 for Amtrak to the LA Union Station FlyAway bus. $84 per person RT. No driving hassle, the possibility of traffic delays are minimized....and they will drop you right at your terminal.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
I vote your own car , and not for getting to LAX but going home

Do you want to hassle taking the LA Union Station FlyAway bus to Union station and then the train ?

much better to take your own car , stop for lunch / dinner if there is too much traffic on the way home,

just my 2 cents....

Soarer
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Yes, the deal sealer against the train is the fact we land (after 12 hr flight) into LAX around 630 pm and will likely want to just gut it out and drive home. so we can be home by say 9 pm and then sleep for like 12 hrs lol....

thanks for the advice on park and stay...gong up the night before is definitely appealing as we avoid the 5-6 am wakeup call.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kdinino
Yes, the deal sealer against the train is the fact we land (after 12 hr flight) into LAX around 630 pm and will likely want to just gut it out and drive home. so we can be home by say 9 pm and then sleep for like 12 hrs lol....

thanks for the advice on park and stay...gong up the night before is definitely appealing as we avoid the 5-6 am wakeup call.
By the time you get out of the airport the traffic should not be that bad - especially if you can do the carpool lane. I do the drive from LAX to OC at that time a couple times a month and it is not terrible... And I don't even get to ride in the carpool lane...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:36 am

Programs: *G
LAX to San Diego drive on a Saturday afternoon?

Gents,

Will be landing at LAX on Saturday around 1700. After a 14 hour flight from IST, is it wise driving to San Diego that same afternoon/evening or should I wait for Sunday morning? I'll probably be jetlagged and tired. How is the I-5 on weekends?

Moderator: If this is not the appropriate forum to post this, please move it.

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:43 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
ive done many 11 hr ish flights from the uk and im no condition to drive far sinse its early morning my time

have you driven in the u.s before , it can seem mighty scary depending on what you are used to , the roads are pretty much always very busy

maybe consider a airport hotel , will be much safer once you have a sleep and some food etc
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:12 am

Well mate, I can imagine it being quite awful for you as you are used to left hand side traffic.

I've driven in the US before, lived there for 7 years, just not in or near LA. As I'm 6 ft. 3 in and am flying coach, I guess it's better to be safe and book a hotel near LAX.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
yes its somewhat scary merging onto a busy freeway when youre dog tired and new car and all that

where is it you are coming from ? myself i would be up super early with jet lag so ideal time to get out and about while the roads are dead
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Another important factor is that it will be dark. I recommend spending the night at LAX and leaving around 6-7am the next morning.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I would recommend staying near LAX and start driving early next morning. Traffic shouldn't be too bad on Saturday afternoon but you are unfamiliar with our roads and it will be easier to navigate during daylight. Some sleep will also help
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by Basar
Gents,

How is the I-5 on weekends?

Thanks.
A significant portion of your travel will be on the 405. Do not take the 5 from the LAX area as you will have to go significantly inland and it meets up with the 405 around Irvine. I also would not want to immediately drive to San Diego after a 14 hour flight if I could avoid it. There are LAX-San Diego shuttles, however, if you absolutely feel the need to make the journey but don't want to drive.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
A significant portion of your travel will be on the 405. Do not take the 5 from the LAX area as you will have to go significantly inland and it meets up with the 405 around Irvine. I also would not want to immediately drive to San Diego after a 14 hour flight if I could avoid it. There are LAX-San Diego shuttles, however, if you absolutely feel the need to make the journey but don't want to drive.
Sage advice. In the unlikely case that the OP gets decent rest in coach, I say rent the car and go for it. See how you feel and play it by ear. It's only 120 miles. Traffic can be slow, but this isn't Mexico City or Bangkok. If you need to crash, virtually anyplace you stop, heading S on the 405 will be better than around LAX. wj
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:25 am

Thanks fellas. As we are a party of 4, we'll take our chances. Will follow the route advice. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.