Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great dining in Monterey/Carmel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by dpdash
Will be in Montery/Carmel CA for a couple of nights next month for a little anniversary getaway, any recommendations for nice places to eat?
For a combination of food, setting, and atmosphere, I still think the Highlands Inn ranks #1.

Recommendation retracted!! See below

Last edited by JerryFF; Jan 11, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Old May 18, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA1K,HH Silver
Monterey Do

Having lived in Pacific Grove almost all my life I realize I don't get out and try many of our wonderful venues but I will say on the food list not to be missed would be.

1. Rosines on Alvarado in downtown Monterey close to the Wharf and have killer desserts.
2. Taste in Pacific Grove is small but definately well worth it.
3. Monterey Bay Aquarium has a great open area to eat overlooking the bay.
4. First Awakenings in Pacific Grove has killer breakfasts and is walking distance to Cannery Row, plus it was also featured on the $40.00 a day with Rachel Ray.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 19, 2012 at 1:13 am Reason: Copied from the Monterey Do thread
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:21 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The Fishwife in Pacific Grove. A fun, unpretentious place with excellent food
Update: Ate lunch there last week after a much-too-long sabbatical. Incredibly good (the Chef's special of lobster ravioli and blackened ahi was one of the best seafood dishes I've ever had). And very good value too with nicely sized (instead of skimpily symbolic ) portions.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by JerryFF
For a combination of food, setting, and atmosphere, I still think the Highlands Inn ranks #1.
I wish to retract this statement. It was true in the past but we have had two very disappointing meals there recently. The view is still the same but the overall quality of the food and service has really gone way down while the cost has gone up. We will not go back any time in the near future.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Against my better judgement I am going to recommend my favorite restaurant on the planet, which is a hidden gem that very, very few people know about. Part of what makes it so amazingly special is this exclusive nature, which is not created by design by is simply inherent in the kind of place it is.

The restaurant is called Baum & Blume in Carmel Valley. It started out as a family-run catering business, that then opened a little take-out counter, that now has a tiny 6-table restaurant open only on nights they're not catering. I can't describe in words how charming this place is. The family is wonderful--they make magic together. The food is delicious, but you have to be ready for a fairly limited menu of whatever was fresh at the farmer's markets and fish markets that day. I heard they recently got a liquor license but when I've been it was BYO. It is, quite simply, the best food presented by the nicest people in the most eclectic setting I've ever experienced.

There--the secret is out. I have shared it with my fellows here at FT in the hopes you will not REALLY spill the beans and potentially ruin what is a true hidden gem. Go and enjoy, and tell me if I'm not right about what an amazing place this is...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:49 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Against my better judgement I am going to recommend my favorite restaurant on the planet, which is a hidden gem that very, very few people know about. Part of what makes it so amazingly special is this exclusive nature, which is not created by design by is simply inherent in the kind of place it is.

The restaurant is called Baum & Blume in Carmel Valley.
Thank you. I've added it to my personal list for an upcoming visit. Here is some online information that shows it is open Wed-Sat, noon-7pm.

A few blocks away is a newly opened shop specializing in olive oil and balsamic vinegar called Quail and Olive. We stumbled on the shop last fall about a month after it opened. We'll replenish our winter ambrosia vinegar when in Carmel Valley. We bought several kinds, and this one immediately became our favorite.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

I just updated the first post and hopefully have captured all the advice in the thread. Now that we have nonstop AS daily service from SAN-MRY at just 4,500 Avios one way, Monterey is easily accessible to us.

Is the restaurant below still open? The website doesn't work: http://www.firstawakenings.net However, there is a Yelp review from last month.

Originally Posted by Luvtworce
4. First Awakenings in Pacific Grove has killer breakfasts and is walking distance to Cannery Row, plus it was also featured on the $40.00 a day with Rachel Ray.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I just updated the first post and hopefully have captured all the advice in the thread. Now that we have nonstop AS daily service from SAN-MRY at just 4,500 Avios one way, Monterey is easily accessible to us.

Is the restaurant below still open? The website doesn't work: http://www.firstawakenings.net However, there is a Yelp review from last month.
Hi SD1K - Yes, it should be open still. I haven't heard anything about it closing. I ate there about a month ago and walked by it a couple of weeks ago. Nice choice for breakfast - great spot to walk it off after eating too!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Summary from below:
  1. Tarpys, near Monterey Airport, on Salinas-Monterey Highway
  2. Cafe Rustica, Carmel Valley, closed on Monday
  3. Rio Grill, same owners as Montrio, mouth of Carmel Valley
  4. Rocky Point Restaurant, 10 miles south of Carmel, overlooking the coastline, phenomenal views inside and out. Bookings taken for inside but not the deck. The deck is first come, first served. Food was surprisingly good. We saw pods of whales spouting as they migrated south as well as dolphins in the surf. Highly recommended for the view and also for good food.
We returned to the tried and true and also had good experiences with two new restaurants.

1) Tarpys - the AS flight from San Diego arrives at 8:30pm. We can be off the plane, in our rental car, and drive the 5 minutes to Tarpys by 9pm. It's our go to place our arrival night and never disappoints.

2) We like a shop (Red Plum) and an olive oil shop (Quail and Olive Oil) that are within the same block as Cafe Rustica in Carmel Valley. Cafe Rustica continues to have excellent food and a very nice outside patio.

3) Rio Grill - This was our first visit and we enjoyed it very much. The restaurant is just 3 miles from the Hyatt Carmel Highlands. It's very popular and bookings are essential.

4) Rocky Point Restaurant was a new find, just a 10-15 minute drive south of Hyatt Carmel Highlands. We spotted it driving by one day and returned the next. The views are incomparable up and down the Big Sur coast. We were pleased to find excellent food as well.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I went to Dametra Cafe years ago and thought the food and ambiance was pretty good. Anyone been there before? Surprised it's not on the list and it also seems to get good reviews on Yelp and TA.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i'll be in MRY for 24 hours early next week (8p-8p). i initially had no plans to do anything other than a quick turn because i'm MR'ing from BOS, but i found a ridiculously cheap hotel and got a decent deal on a car from hertz, so i figured i'd stay for a day. hotel is in carmel.

i'm thinking that i'll take sandiego1k's advice and go to tarpy's the night i arrive.

in the morning i'll stick with the hotel breakfast because i would like to rent a bike and cycle 17 mile drive, starting and finishing in carmel around noon. there's a gym near the bike shop, so i'll get a day pass and shower for the sake of whoever's next to me on the transcon redeye.

after lunch, i'm free 1-7p. any suggestions? i wouldn't mind checking out laguna seca, but it doesn't seem like any tours are offered so that might be a waste of time. i really don't want to have to deal with checking golf clubs, but that is another thought - particularly since it's currently 9 degrees with a foot of snow on the ground here.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:29 pm

Hi - we've been having great weather, so your bike ride should be great. As far as other things to do, it all boils down to interests and budget. Golf is an option, but can be expensive. You can call Spanish Bay or Pebble and see if you can rent clubs and get a tee time. Other ideas since you have a car would be driving down to Big Sur, or hiking at Point Lobos. The Monterey Aquarium is world class. Carmel is a quaint town and you can walk around there for a couple of hours (art galleries, shopping). And then there are outfits that do whale watching tours and ocean kayaking. Check out Trip Advisor for both Monterey and Carmel to give you some ideas. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
Hi - we've been having great weather, so your bike ride should be great. As far as other things to do, it all boils down to interests and budget. Golf is an option, but can be expensive. You can call Spanish Bay or Pebble and see if you can rent clubs and get a tee time. Other ideas since you have a car would be driving down to Big Sur, or hiking at Point Lobos. The Monterey Aquarium is world class. Carmel is a quaint town and you can walk around there for a couple of hours (art galleries, shopping). And then there are outfits that do whale watching tours and ocean kayaking. Check out Trip Advisor for both Monterey and Carmel to give you some ideas. Have a great trip!
thanks for the tips! i think i'll try to get out on the water since it'll be a while until i can even think about taking the shrinkwrap off my boat. don't think i'll have time to get on a fishing boat, but even a few hours kayaking sounds great as long as the weather cooperates.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, UR, IHG, HH, BA, CC
For a quick breakfast, the Paris bakery Cafe is amazing. Some of the best pastries I have ever eaten. Ever.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
The Old Monterey Cafe on Alvarado street is good for breakfast or lunch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.