Search

SFO plan could mean lower fares for travelers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2003, 10:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
SFO plan could mean lower fares for travelers

Bay Area travelers would see lower air fares and more options for flying out of San Francisco International Airport if a plan to increase flights and attract low-cost airlines takes off, airport director John Martin said Tuesday.

Still reeling from a travel slump that began with the dot-com crash and worsened after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, SFO hopes to entice new carriers with discounts that could save the airlines millions of dollars.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/news/6469378.htm

San Francisco International Airport officials may slash landing fees by 50 percent for any carrier that starts new service, in an effort to prop up SFO's sagging bottom line and make it more competitive with other local airports.
http://www.sanmateocountytimes.com/S...554633,00.html
Old Aug 7, 2003, 3:38 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Back in 1999/2000 when everything was going well and SFO's finances appeared to be in order, the airport's management couldn't care less about the loss of Southwest -- the Airport Director's "vision" was to focus international flights and their duty-free-spending-happy passengers. Some managers even boasted about "not needing" Southwest. Even at the time it seemed snobby and short-sighted.

Now, the tables have turned, and they're grovelling to get more low fare carrier service. Funny how times change...

Separately -- With all of OAK's evening traffic and facility woes, and SFO's new BART link, I'm surprised that SFO hasn't gone on a bit of a marketing offensive. OAK's ads knocked SFO back in the day, and I think it's now time for SFO to return the favor.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited 08-07-2003).]
Old Aug 10, 2003, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Yeah... but the low costs STILL have an issue with weather on the penninsula side of the bay vs, east bay. Delays due to runway seperation rules requiring single runway operation is what prevents or kills lcc's at SFO.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
While they were a little late on the get-go, I have to give the folks at SFO some credit for continuing their efforts to recruit low fare carriers.

New AirTran service to ATL

New America West service to JFK

While I have no plans to fly AirTran or America West, I imagine others will benefit from the new service, and with luck, SFO's enplanments will start to rebound as well.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited 08-20-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.