FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   California (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california-450/)
-   -   Security Wait at SNA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california/306597-security-wait-sna.html)

BeachRunner May 28, 2003 6:42 pm

Security Wait at SNA

What is the wait these days? I have an 8:55 am flight on Friday. The SNA web site suggests 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Is it really running that long now that we are at Orange? I will be checking in from home, but I do have to check luggage (unfortunately).

Thanks

PanAm747 May 28, 2003 10:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BeachRunner:
What is the wait these days? I have an 8:55 am flight on Friday. The SNA web site suggests 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Is it really running that long now that we are at Orange? I will be checking in from home, but I do have to check luggage (unfortunately).

Thanks
</font>
Check the bags at skycap. 1-1 1/2 should be more than enough. O/C is easy to naviate.
Remember there are 2 security entrances, so if one is bad, check out the other one...

------------------
PA747-May it rest in Peace

auggie doggie Jun 16, 2003 12:52 pm

Does anyone know if SNA has elite security lines???

Thanks.

SNA1K Jun 21, 2003 2:59 pm

Yes. Not a separate elite line, but an entrance to the security area that bypasses the main line.

NickP 1K Jun 22, 2003 7:57 pm

Line wait times on my last SNA visits.

Friday 20th June, 12 Noon, Security clearance time 20+ mins

Sunday 22nd June, 6:15PM, Security clearance time 5 mins.

NickP 1K Dec 1, 2003 11:02 am

December 1st (back from Thanksgiving)

11AM departure. Got to the airport aprox 8AM:

Standard coach line: 1hour 20mins
First/Business/Premium pax: 25mins

MisterNice Dec 1, 2003 12:25 pm

On Nov 10 it was 6-8 min in the regular line. No passengers were in the elite line so subtract 5 min. Only one ID check and you could wear your shoes too.

On Nov 18 it was about 10 min and about 4 min less for the elite line. Both flights were about 1000AM, and I arrived at the airport at about 0830AM. Again no shoe removal and one ID check.

And its downhill too.

MisterNice

carpeperdiem Feb 1, 2004 8:56 am

December 9, 2003 - 6:20am - elite line took 46 minutes. Non-elite took 43 minutes. Yes, there were more elite/1sts than non at this time of the early morning.

Later that day (after 9am) the wait was less than 10 minutes, according to associates who took the later flight.

I was told the early morning rush at security is always insane.

I will never fly from SNA before 9am in the future.

ALadyNCal Feb 8, 2004 9:58 am

We were at SNA for a 7:50 a.m. flight yesterday (Saturday). The lines were 5-15 minutes when we were going thru (6:30-40 a.m.).

I'll be there again in three weeks at a busier time (7 a.m. on a Thursday) and will post back. Hopefully it will still be a breeze http://www.flyertalk.com/airports/ft...orum/smile.gif

ALadyNCal Mar 4, 2004 2:44 pm

We had a 8:00 a.m. flight Thursday and got into the security line at 6:30. It was fairly long -- the longest I'd seen. Took about 20-25 minutes. By the time we got thru and were at our gate, we could see the line was 25% longer than when we got in it.

[This message has been edited by ALadyNCal (edited Mar 04, 2004).]

NickP 1K Mar 20, 2004 12:53 pm

Construction in now in progress to streamline the lanes on both the north and south security entrances.

2 lanes will be added on each side, ONE focusing on SSSS/Selectee pax's. This in essence will end ALL gate checks and drivers license/ID checks at the gates and move those to the TSA checkpoint as all secondary screening will occur at the TSA checkpoints.

The bridged walkways from landside to airside will expanded moving the exit lane and providing more area for screening.

BTW: This is already in progress as of this week. They are expected to have it ALL up and running and constructed before early June (late May). The contract didn't have to go through the full bid process... Also, the FAA ponyed up all the money for construction, the TSA pays for all the new lane equipment.

NickP 1K Jul 5, 2004 12:44 am

More security lanes have opened!

4 new lanes opened on each side of the terminal.. The old 3-4 lanes are in use on a workload needed basis (TSA short staffed at SNA). Morning waits not on Monday are aprox 15 mins now (sorry I don't have an up to date Monday AM wait. Will advise once I get more info.

There is also now a designate line which means that you must have an internet issued, airport kiosk or airport check in boarding pass + ID at the checkpoint. E-ticket reciepts are NOT valid any longer nor are paper tickets not checked in. Since this has now changed no gate screening occurs for normal flight departures NOR do ID checks need to occur at the departure gates.

Happy flying....

NickP 1K Jul 6, 2004 9:30 am

Rats... TSA Security directory who worked Monday wasn't in today... at SNA this AM. Got to the airport at 7AM for a 9AM flight. First class line on the North Terminal (AA, DL, AS, etc) was 2 min wait. Coach/standard line was a 5-6min wait. (Times are from entering the line to getting out, not just to the front of the line).

If I hear of Monday AM info will pass it on.

tattikat2 Dec 3, 2004 7:44 pm

Elite line question at SNA.

Hello. I have the following question reg. the elite line at SNA.
Are the elite lines airline specific or are they for elites who are flying? Let me explain.
I will be flying from SFO to SNA to meet my mother-in-law and I will then be flying with her to SMF for the family christmas. She hates to fly alone and so I stepped in to give her a flying companion.
We will be flying Southwest (her choice -not mine!) and so ,when I meet her land side to help her check her bags etc. can I , as a UA and NWA gold elite use the elite line even though we will be flying southwest ? (a non elite airline)
If the normal line isn't long then it'll be a non issue. But if it's long ,and being as she's getting on in years and not able to stay on her feet for extended periods of time , it would be nice to "whisk her through"!
Any thoughts?
Happy flying,Tattikat2

btr Dec 3, 2004 11:31 pm

tattikat2:
The elite lines are for all elites at SNA, and unlike some airports, all elite levels qualify. I've used 'em with my boarding pass (I've never pulled out my MP card), and brought my non-elite family with me. If you've got a non-elite BP you may have to finesse your way through.

OTOH, you may want to enquire about special needs pax - they may allow you to go to the front of the line, especially if you ask for a wheelchair for you mother-in-law, or if she appears frail. I've never had to deal with such issues, but I do know from experience that most airports are pretty good about those with infants.

Finally, I've not seen waits at SNA in excess of about 10 minutes since spring (afternoons), so it's possible that there isn't even an issue here.

Good luck!
-btr