Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:30 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I think all of those hotels have a shuttle too. Not an interesting walk from any of those places unless you cross the street and walk in the park, but I frequently see people doing it. There's a sidewalk so no safety issues.
Kate031 and Finkface like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
Stay away from Hotel Circle; it's the worst.
It's going to get even better. The city council gave approval to purchase 2 hotels, one in Hotel Circle, for the homeless.
"The council, which voted 9-0, approved spending $67 million for a former Residence Inn in the Hotel Circle area and $39.5 million for a former Residence Inn in the Kearny Mesa neighborhood locations that are expected to be move-in ready by Dec. 31, 2020."

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-...me-initiative/
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Where to stay in La Jolla?

Hello everyone!

My wife and daughter as well as a couple friends of ours and their kids will be vacationing in San Diego in early April of next year and we are looking for recommendations on where to stay. We are tentatively planning on splitting our 8 day trip between San Diego (to see all the sights) and La Jolla (to relax by the beach). I'm looking for some recommendations on where to stay in both places. Our kids are young (2-ish) so we're looking for somewhere close to the beach and with a pool.

For the 4 days in San Diego, we're thinking about staying at either the Intercontinental or Grand Hyatt because of the proximity to Seaport Village and the Midway Museum. Seems both hotels also have a nice pool area as well as restaurants on site.

For La Jolla I'm a bit more perplexed as there doesn't seem to be a singular hotel that fits everything we want. We like hotels with amenities and value beach access and I just cannot find one that fits everything we want. Price isn't really much of a concern so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Chris
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Chris2013
Hello everyone!

My wife and daughter as well as a couple friends of ours and their kids will be vacationing in San Diego in early April of next year and we are looking for recommendations on where to stay. We are tentatively planning on splitting our 8 day trip between San Diego (to see all the sights) and La Jolla (to relax by the beach). I'm looking for some recommendations on where to stay in both places. Our kids are young (2-ish) so we're looking for somewhere close to the beach and with a pool.

For the 4 days in San Diego, we're thinking about staying at either the Intercontinental or Grand Hyatt because of the proximity to Seaport Village and the Midway Museum. Seems both hotels also have a nice pool area as well as restaurants on site.

For La Jolla I'm a bit more perplexed as there doesn't seem to be a singular hotel that fits everything we want. We like hotels with amenities and value beach access and I just cannot find one that fits everything we want. Price isn't really much of a concern so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Chris
For my 2c La Jolla Riviera Inn might be worth a look. It's the closest hotel to the La Jolla Shores beach that I can find.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 2:38 pm

San Diego hotel recommendations?

Does anybody have any recommendations for a San Diego hotel for pleasure travel around $300 per night? Seems like one of the few places IHG has some good offerings, all around the same price (Kimpton, Indigo, IC) - anybody know how they compare against each other? Also anybody know anything about the US Grant - a lot of reviews make it sound like there is a homeless colony outside, so maybe not the best for a family trip?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:13 pm

Quiet San Diego hotel for very light sleeper?

Unfortunately, I'm an extremely light sleeper. Very sensitive to road and pool noise.

Im going mid-week; I had little notice. The only ones I could find is the Fairmont Del Mar, whose good rooms are booked. The Lidgebat Torrey Pines have rooms that open to outdoor corridors, and their suites are booked.

Any other recommendations at any price point are welcome. TIA.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Rancho Valencia?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Rancho Valencia?
Super quiet, peaceful, lovely gardens and grounds.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:56 pm

Thank you, KatW and Mikelajolla. RV looks great but price point on available rooms is even higher than I expected. Do you know of anything a tier lower? Even something next to a patch of woods would be great.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:51 pm
Original Member

Avoid entry-level rooms.
https://www.lavalencia.com/local-guide
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the original poster does not appear to be seeking a luxury hotel, I'm going to move this thread to the relevant geographic forum where there may be a better response level.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by relaxabit
Unfortunately, I'm an extremely light sleeper. Very sensitive to road and pool noise.

Im going mid-week; I had little notice. The only ones I could find is the Fairmont Del Mar, whose good rooms are booked. The Lidgebat Torrey Pines have rooms that open to outdoor corridors, and their suites are booked.

Any other recommendations at any price point are welcome. TIA.
Bumping this in the new thread. Someone mentioned the Mission Bay Hyatt,but theres a lot of road noise. Any Rexs for a hotel that has a side without much road/parking lot noise? I e been a light sleeper forever, so any help would be appreciated.
Old May 22, 2022, 9:40 pm

Someplace quiet with a view

I'm headed to San Diego in mid-July: Friday through Sunday. I'm visiting one friend, but it's really just to get away for the weekend, clear my head.

I'd previously stayed at the Inter-Continental. I could score a suite for $600-ish and use an Ambassador free weekend night. It was a great deal.
That type of value is gone; it's now $1300, which seems steep. The room is nice; it's not earth shattering.
The SpringHill Suites and Residence Inn across the street were each about $550 per night, so that didn't seem like a particularly excellent deal.

I liked the view of the water and how quiet and spacious the room was. The rest was entirely immaterial. I could easily go to La Jolla or anywhere else (perhaps not Tijuana.)
I'm not really going for any nightlife, dining, or spa experiences. We'll probably hang out and have Uber Eats or equivalent.

My only other experience was with the Palomar, which was noisy and had no view of the water. Since I live in the desert, the view of the water is a major selling point.

I am a Platinum with Bonvoy, Diamond with Hilton, and Ambassador with IHG. I have no status with Hyatt.

I may well end-up at the I-C, but I welcome your recommendations. I'm looking forward to a peaceful weekend with a view of H20.
Old May 22, 2022, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Have you considered Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines?
Old May 24, 2022, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Mats
I'm headed to San Diego in mid-July: Friday through Sunday. I'm visiting one friend, but it's really just to get away for the weekend, clear my head.

I'd previously stayed at the Inter-Continental. I could score a suite for $600-ish and use an Ambassador free weekend night. It was a great deal.
That type of value is gone; it's now $1300, which seems steep. The room is nice; it's not earth shattering.
The SpringHill Suites and Residence Inn across the street were each about $550 per night, so that didn't seem like a particularly excellent deal.

I liked the view of the water and how quiet and spacious the room was. The rest was entirely immaterial. I could easily go to La Jolla or anywhere else (perhaps not Tijuana.)
I'm not really going for any nightlife, dining, or spa experiences. We'll probably hang out and have Uber Eats or equivalent.

My only other experience was with the Palomar, which was noisy and had no view of the water. Since I live in the desert, the view of the water is a major selling point.

I am a Platinum with Bonvoy, Diamond with Hilton, and Ambassador with IHG. I have no status with Hyatt.

I may well end-up at the I-C, but I welcome your recommendations. I'm looking forward to a peaceful weekend with a view of H20.
I am planning to stay at Palomar with Chase free night. Do you know their policy regarding amenity fee? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.