San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Among the Starwood properties in Downtown San Diego, if you're traveling with a child, you might appreciate the spaciousness of the Sheraton Suites. I think you'll find the U.S. Grant not to your style and a bit small in the rooms. The other Westins in San Diego should be OK, but smaller rooms than the Sheraton Suites.

For other than Starwood properties, the Omni is quite nice - I'm not generally a fan of the Omni chain, but the San Diego property is the nicest Omni I've ever seen
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:51 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
If you stay at the Omni, and you want a laid-back atmosphere, make sure there's no Padres games when you're staying there. It gets a little crazy. The Omni even has a special entrance to the stadium.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:18 pm

Thanks for bringing that up. The Padres are indeed in town that weekend.

Which Westin (SD/Gaslamp) do you recommend? I found a decent deal @ Gas lamp Jr Suite 550 sq feet with 3rd night free. I'm not tied to any brand in particular.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:49 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I can't speak to a lot of hotels in downtown San Diego, but if you have a 5 year-old, I'm guessing you aren't looking for an all-night rager, so stay away from the middle of the Gaslamp (4th and 5th south of Broadway will be loud on weekends). That shouldn't be a problem at either Westin. The Gaslamp Westin has a slightly better location (they're only a 5 minute walk away from each other) unless you're taking the train/trolley in town. It also has an easier check-in experience as Emerald Plaza is a mixed use building with a big weird lobby. Emerald Plaza has a better pool if you're in to that. If it were up to me, I would stay at the cheaper hotel. In my experience, both hotels are similar as far as rooms are concerned.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:08 pm

you may want to look into hotels closer to shelter island / coronado if you want to be away from the noise. there's always the hotel del...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by japaik
you may want to look into hotels closer to shelter island / coronado if you want to be away from the noise. there's always the hotel del...
I'm not a fan of the Del. For Coronado I prefer the Marriott or the Lowes, or if they're within your budget, a boutique place like the Glorietta Bay or the 1906 Lodge.

In downtown, the Covention center hotels are well located near public transit - and that would be a Marriott, a Hyatt, and an Embassy Suites - IMHO, the Embassy Suites is probably the best value of the 3 - but make sure there isn't a big convention in town when you are - Fortuantately, Comic-Con is over, but there may be other big conventions in town during a summer in San Diego.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Haven't stayed there but the Hilton Bayfront just South of the Convention Center and across the trolley tracks from Petco Park looks brand spanking new and pretty nice. It's also very close to a trolley stop but might be a bit of a walk for some from the downtown area.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Nicest hotel san diego

I plan on coming for a week in august and im looking for a hotel on a body of water, either the bay or the ocean, if on the bay, not more than 2 miles from the ocean. Would like a nice room with a great view of the water. Would like it to be a really nice hotel, can be anywhere from san diego all the way up to carsbald. Also, i plan on jogging there, so a path or a street close by overlooking the ocean is a must. Thanks

Last edited by mendel k; May 1, 2012 at 12:13 am
Old May 1, 2012, 12:55 am

While there are lots of nice options north near La Jolla, the place I can recommend in the city is the Omni. Great location in the gaslamp district (with direct access to Petco Park), and also near the water with good views all around. It's a pretty quick hop across the bridge to Coronado from there as well- 10 min. It seems like you don't need to be downtown, but the Omni is a great choice in the city.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: HH Dia, Avis First, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AS
Hilton San Diego Bay Front My recommendation if you want to be near downtown.
Hilton Gas Lamp
Hilton Torrey Pines Just down the road from Torrey Pines State Beach - great for jogging.
Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront
Embassy Suites San Diego Bay
Old May 2, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
If you are looking for a "really nice" hotel, I can't say that one has been recommended yet.

I'd start with the Hotel del Coronado and for a nice room get in the newer tower, not the historical section, unless you find historical charming.

After that look at Tower23, La Valencia, Pacific Terrace Hotel and maybe the Grand Hyatt Manchester.

Not the best, but in the okay category and meet your "good view", "on the water" and "jogging area", Marriott Coronado, Hilton Bayfront and maybe Marriott Marquis.

The other nicest hotels like the Lodge at Torrey Pines, Park Hyatt Aviara and Grand Del Mar don't fit your criteria.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
^ on the San Diego Hilton Bayfront

Good location with great views. Have stayed twice in the last year. There's also good freeway access that can bypass the downtown congestion unlike the Marriott or Hyatt
Old May 3, 2012, 8:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
I like the Shores Hotel at La Jolla Shores. Smack on the beach and the restaurant is excellent. Tower 23 is ultra hip and JRDN is a great restaurant too.

I also really like Paradise Point @ Mission Bay. Completely different feeling as the bungalows are on the bay, not the ocean. The Hilton Resort on Mission Bay is also a nice property.

Though you asked for the "nicest" hotel, which would be the Grand in Del Mar or L'Auberge in Del Mar. No comparison to any of the other suggestions.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
It's been years since I have stayed there, but I was quite impressed by the Westgate Hotel.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's been years since I have stayed there, but I was quite impressed by the Westgate Hotel.
The Westgate is very tired from a decor standpoint. It is like entering a time machine and going to a luxury hotel from the 1970's (or visiting your great Aunt Hattie, the maiden one that lives in the old family house). The US Grant is by far the nicest luxury hotel in Downtown right now, but doesn't have the water views the OP says he is looking for. I think the Hotel Palomar is also a pretty nice luxury hotel, nicer than the Grand Hyatt, Marriott Marquis or Hilton Bayfront, but again doesn't have the views, so there are always tradeoffs. If I was in my early 30's, the Palomar, Hard Rock or Solamar might be my first picks. If I was in my 50's, the US Grant, in between those ages, the other places mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.