Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Best airport to fly to Carlsbad

Old Jun 13, 22, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

My friend just called. He is the one who booked the wrong dates for NYC so gave us the Hilton vacation club stay in April. Now he booked the wrong resort in Carlsbad and had to rebook the one his wife wanted and so he wants to gift my husband and me the original stay he booked so we can hang out with them at the other resort. The man is a brilliant doctor. Apparently he isn’t good at booking vacations lol.

What is the best airport to fly to (from MSY)? Thank you. I know CLD is there, but I don’t want to make 2 connections if possible. I would prefer one connection.

Last edited by whitewave; Jun 13, 22 at 6:32 pm
Old Jun 13, 22, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
SAN. Single connections available on several carriers.
whitewave and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
San Diego (SAN) would be the closest, then SNA (Orange County). Southwest appears to be the only airline that has non-stop MSY-SAN flights. Hard for me to recommend LAX; it has the most non-stop options but really too far from Carlsbad, especially with traffic.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both. I’m checking airfare tonight. SAN would be good.
Old Jun 14, 22, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by whitewave View Post
My friend just called. He is the one who booked the wrong dates for NYC so gave us the Hilton vacation club stay in April. Now he booked the wrong resort in Carlsbad and had to rebook the one his wife wanted and so he wants to gift my husband and me the original stay he booked so we can hang out with them at the other resort. The man is a brilliant doctor. Apparently he isnít good at booking vacations lol.

What is the best airport to fly to (from MSY)? Thank you. I know CLD is there, but I donít want to make 2 connections if possible. I would prefer one connection.
Commercial air service in and out of CLD ended a few years back. Easiest / closest large airport would be SAN.

David
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 5:50 am
Original Poster

DELee ok great, so I assume then that it’s not hard to get a taxi or Uber to Carlsbad from San Diego then?
Old Jun 14, 22, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
DELee ok great, so I assume then that itís not hard to get a taxi or Uber to Carlsbad from San Diego then?
It shouldn't be hard but I'm a Southern California local and have only ever driven down to San Diego area so I don't have any first hand knowledge of either Uber or taxis from/to SAN.

David
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
It shouldn't be hard but I'm a Southern California local and have only ever driven down to San Diego area so I don't have any first hand knowledge of either Uber or taxis from/to SAN.

David
Thanks, Iím sure it will be fine.
Old Jun 14, 22, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
DELee ok great, so I assume then that itís not hard to get a taxi or Uber to Carlsbad from San Diego then?
You don't want a rental car during your stay?

Are you going to the Omni La Costa?
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DELee ok great, so I assume then that it’s not hard to get a taxi or Uber to Carlsbad from San Diego then?
Well given your recent experience you could take a train (and bus) Click on the train icon
https://goo.gl/maps/Na5x8ceiQoMkiBsF7

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Nearby-Ai...arlsbad-CA-USA
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

guv1976 I actually don’t know the name lol. I just gratefully accept his oopsie bookings 🤣 I’ll text his wife and find out. I was hoping we wouldn’t need to rent a car. Uber the whole thing.

Mwenenzi 🤣😃 thanks for giving me the link. While I have done planes, trains and automobiles more than I like, maybe we can hire a driver or something like that. We will be vacationing with our friends and hanging out at their resort, so maybe they can pick us up if they rent a car. (I’m so cheap 🙃 )

Search this Thread