Reload this Page >

Palm Springs restaurant recommendations

Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

We are going down to Palm Spgs next month for a joint anniversary and birthday celebration. We would like to have dinner at two good restaurants. Doesn’t need to be fancy but the quality should be good. That said budget isn’t a huge concern, within reason. Off the beaten path/“locals” options always welcomed. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Thread bump: We always stay in Palm Desert, so don't venture up that way much. You might want to look at this: https://la.eater.com/maps/best-palm-...ndio-coachella

If you want the old Sinatra vibe, try Melvyn's (although I think they are a little more modern now).

I've heard good things about this place: https://www.workshoppalmsprings.com/
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had an excellent dinner at LG's Steakhouse closer to Palm Desert as well as as nice lunch and some beers at La Quinta Brewing Company
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Some of my favorites:
Jake's
Birba
Tac/Quila
Bar Cecil
Mr. Lyons
4 Saints
Copley's
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
It isn't fancy, but John Henry's is a pretty cool place. The drinks are strong, and the food is solid. I definitely recommend (and recommend getting a reservation).
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:19 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From Eater Los Angeles:
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:38 pm

check it

These are some of the top picks near palm springs.
  • Boozehounds Palm Springs
  • Sandfish by Engin Onural
  • Biscuit and Counter at the Tiki Hotel
  • Workshop Kitchen + Bar
  • Birba Palm Springs
  • The Tropicale Palm Springs
Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Bill Addison (LATimes) had an article this week on 10 Best PS restaurants. Wondering what they were. Does anyone know?

I gather Bar Cecil and Cheeky’s (noted above) are mentioned. Not sure about the others.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Bill Addison (LATimes) had an article this week on 10 Best PS restaurants. Wondering what they were. Does anyone know?

I gather Bar Cecil and Cheeky’s (noted above) are mentioned. Not sure about the others.
10 of the best restaurants for your next Palm Springs road trip
  • Bar Cecil
  • Cheeky's
  • Gabino’s Creperie
  • Johannes
  • King's Highway
  • El Mirasol
  • Paul Bar
  • The Real Italian Deli
  • Rooster and the Pig
  • Workshop Kitchen + Bar
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
10 of the best restaurants for your next Palm Springs road trip
  • Bar Cecil
  • Cheeky's
  • Gabino’s Creperie
  • Johannes
  • King's Highway
  • El Mirasol
  • Paul Bar
  • The Real Italian Deli
  • Rooster and the Pig
  • Workshop Kitchen + Bar
Thanks for the list. I couldn’t access the article due to the paywall but was curious as to his choices. He left out one of the best places in the valley — French Rotisserie Cafe. Technically it’s in Palm Desert. Maybe he was strictly adhering to PS City limits.

Would be interesting to know what he based his choices on. Such decisions are personal, of course, but some of his choices baffle me.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Thanks for the list. I couldn’t access the article due to the paywall but was curious as to his choices. He left out one of the best places in the valley — French Rotisserie Cafe. Technically it’s in Palm Desert. Maybe he was strictly adhering to PS City limits.

Would be interesting to know what he based his choices on. Such decisions are personal, of course, but some of his choices baffle me.
His introductory remarks:
Like most visitors, I head to Palm Springs to chill: to bake in the sun, to watch the colors of the San Jacinto Mountains change with the seasons and the daylight, to do as little as possible. A culinary tour is never my driving agenda in the desert — and yet it’s also my nature (and my job) to always be looking for my next great meal.

Tourist-oriented restaurants abound, so places that radiate individual character and serve consistent, careful cooking tend to stand out. There’s rarely a short wait for a good meal out in Palm Springs. These are 10 restaurants where I’m happy to wait in line or jostle for a last-minute reservation. For this guide I stayed within the Palm Springs city limits; dining through the surrounding towns is fodder for a future project.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times Restaurant Critic Bill Addison
There’s rarely a short wait for a good meal out in Palm Springs.
So, getting food in Palm Springs requires long waits?

David

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 12, 2023 at 9:10 am Reason: Correct quote attribution
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
So, getting food in Palm Springs requires long waits?

David

It depends. Like anywhere, reservations are often essential. During special event times (e.g., Coachella, Stagecoach, film festival, Modernism, etc), for example. Smaller popular places, always a good idea. Cheeky’s (on Addison’s list) doesn’t take reservations and you can expect a long wait depending on the day/time.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We ate at Cheeky’s in Palm Springs in December. Zero wait at 11:30a and I don’t think we had a reZ. We actually stayed at hyatt regency Palm desert (Indian wells) near the tennis stadiums. We also enjoyed

tropical - supper
babes bbq - supper (from the guy who did Marie calendars and then sold that business)
Sherman deli - Palm desert for luncheon & supper; Palm Springs for luncheon

all yum.
also brekky at the hotel and one supper at the hotel.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:08 pm

Late to the thread here, but maybe this can help out someone else, I've got two recommendations.

First is a lunch spot for tacos in downtown Palm Springs, Taqueria Tlaquepaque is delicious authentic Mexican food for a really good price. The service here is great and quick, and the portions are amazing for the price. Not a fancy place at all which is why I recommend it for lunch.

For dinner, I recommend Pierro's Pizzavino in Palm Desert. There is a slough of restaurants on El Paseo, but I loved this one. Again the service was amazing, and the food was very quick to come. I would recommend making a reservation here, when we went our table was the only open spot in the restaurant. All the parking on El Paseo is free, so feel free to drive to this one.

Hope this helps someone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.