Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Hotels with private outdoor covered meeting space

Hotels with private outdoor covered meeting space

Old Sep 1, 20, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Question Hotels with private outdoor covered meeting space

I'm trying to get my 3-person remote team together for a risk-mitigated outdoor working retreat in Southern California. Normally we'd share an Airbnb, cook together, play board games at night, etc. Instead, to keep us separated and adhere to company protocol, I need to find a hotel that can accommodate us outside for a few consecutive days. We need a few tables in close proximity, power outlets, wi-fi, and umbrellas or sun canopies. A guest room (that one of us would stay in and the rest would visit for work sessions) with a patio, outdoor lanai, or oversized balcony would be ideal.

I'm having an unbelievably tough time wading through hotel sites to find accurate photos and descriptions, and no one seems to be able to filter by this amenity. Hotels.com isn't very helpful either. This is true for chain and independent properties. In some cases, I've called and it turns out that the described furniture setup doesn't match the site. There also doesn't seem to be an easy way to reserve outdoor space that's otherwise part of a dining or pool/beach lounge area, let alone while assuring privacy, distance from others, and the necessary amenities.

There's no way I'm the only one facing this challenge. One would imagine that the industry would want to be more responsive to this need? What am I missing here? Do I need to *gasp* use a travel agent?
Old Sep 1, 20, 4:38 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Understandable needs. Don't know your So. Cal. area of focus or your budget, but there are certain hotels, away from central cities which are more likely to fit the bill. Some Residence Inns come to mind. One I've stayed at several times, the Oxnard, CA River Ridge one, has some good outdoor spaces. https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And I'll bet that other So. Calif. Residence Inns, or similar extended stay properties would have the outdoor spaces you need. Your best bet for outdoor meetings will likely be away from pools, as hotel management will not likely want to block off other guests from use (assuming pool use is allowed by the county) unless the group was much bigger, such as a wedding reception for a finite time of use.

I'd see if on-line hotel listings show pictures of the grounds and then contact the hotel Sales Director to verify and see if the hotel could block the space for your team.
Old Sep 1, 20, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the idea of booking a suite with a patio or large balcony for this as it would give people easy access to a restroom, water, coffee, electrical outlets for charging, etc. No one else could try to claim the space and you might be able to leave materials in place for lunch breaks (if you don't order from the hotel's room service).

If you were willing to consider nearby states, the Andaz Scottsdale would work well, but it would also be very hot and only the more expensive cabana rooms have some sort of sun/rain cover. Canyon Suites or Residences there would also work.

Have you looked at some of the postmodern boutique hotels around Palm Springs? That architecture is more likely to have ground level patios.
Old Sep 5, 20, 1:58 am

Not sure if you're still looking, but I'd recommend contacting some Convention and Visitor Bureaus (CVB). Typically, the staff at a CVB will be experts about meeting spaces within their area. Additionally, they should be able to contact multiple hotels on your behalf to verify that the actual facilities at hotels meet your requirements.

Normally, the CVB wouldn't typically get involved with a 3-person meeting. But, during COVID, they probably will make an exception.

Here's some of the CVBs in Southern California:
San Diego: https://visitsandiego.com/
Carlsbad: https://visitcarlsbad.com/
Riverside: https://riversidecvb.com/
San Bernardino: https://www.visitsbcounty.com/
Anaheim/Orange County: https://visitanaheim.org/
Old Sep 8, 20, 12:38 am

Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvPLT/LTG, PCAmb
Canyon Suite at the Hotel Bel-Air?

My first thought for here in LA would be calling SoHo House Hollywood and seeing what they might be able to do in their roof garden — and then stay nearby. Maybe a chance to get that SoHo club membership you always wanted reimbursed.

For hotels, the Luxe Sunset has several small spaces on their patio and they do a lot of events with folks who I kNow would not use them if they were not flexible - could see them possibly setting something up if not having any large events. The Fairmont here in Santa Monica has a small upper pool deck listed in their meeting spaces. The Casa Del Mar also here in Santa Monica might be able to do something on their Palm Terrace.

In the OC the Hyatt Huntington Beach has a ton of outdoor courtyard space that is often setup as you need - just for much larger groups. Not sure if it would be worth their time, but probably worth calling. Monarch Beach Resort also has a lot of outdoor space that could be setup with a table and connections for you.

In San Diego have stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn often and every now and then been in a suite. They do not have outside tables (at least not the ones I stayed in) but did open to an outdoor patio area with chairs that could easily fit a table - if the hotel would be willing to setup for you. There are several places I have stayed in Palm Springs that have similar first floor walkouts to a space designated to that room.

Last edited by dbuckho; Sep 8, 20 at 12:55 am
Old Sep 8, 20, 2:14 pm

We used to stay the San Diego Mission Bay Resort (used to be Hilton) and they have waterfront villa (lower floor) that includes a pretty good size patio area with fire pit. Sitting 3 people there with social distance should not be a problem. It's not 100% private though as if there are guests at the villas next to you or above you. There could also be people walking on the beach. Here is a pic on TripAdvisor to see what it looks like:

Mission Bay Resort Waterfront Villa patio
Old Sep 11, 20, 11:34 pm

Resort at Pelican Hill maybe? Newport Beach, if you donít mind being away from the LA area.

Not sure how their meeting spaces work, but itís a very large property with plenty of indoor and outdoor gathering places. They have villas with terraces, but the regular guest suite had balconies (the entry level room I stayed in last year had a decent balcony.) https://www.pelicanhill.com/meetings/meeting-venues/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: