Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Fresno?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Where to stay in Fresno?

any recommendations for the Fresno area? Will be spending a couple of nights there.

Preferably Marriott or Hilton branded properties.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:53 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anyone knows of a really nice hotel in Fresno, they will truly amaze and please me on the rare occasion when I find myself needing to stay overnight in the city.

Don't expect much!

Ditto for Bakersfield, by the way.
dascc likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You won't find any really high end stays but there are a few "decent" places. I think it might depend on where you want to stay. The Hilton-branded property in Fresno is a Double Tree, right next to the Convention Center. There is a new Hilton Garden Inn in Clovis, which is the adjacent city, about 20 minutes from downtown Fresno. There is a pretty nice Fairfield by Marriott across the street from the airport and a Courtyard by Marriott on Shaw Avenue, which is near Fresno State.. Any of those should be ok. I'd stay away from any of the properties along US 99 or SR 41/Blackstone Avenue.

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels...AxOS0wOC0xNlIA
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It just occurred to me you might be looking for someplace to stay while visiting the nearby mountain areas. If so, I'd recommend the airport area or Clovis, both of which make for easier access to the mountains. The downtown properties would be a pain in the tookus navigating in and out of town.
dascc likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
You won't find any really high end stays but there are a few "decent" places. I think it might depend on where you want to stay. The Hilton-branded property in Fresno is a Double Tree, right next to the Convention Center. There is a new Hilton Garden Inn in Clovis, which is the adjacent city, about 20 minutes from downtown Fresno. There is a pretty nice Fairfield by Marriott across the street from the airport and a Courtyard by Marriott on Shaw Avenue, which is near Fresno State.. Any of those should be ok. I'd stay away from any of the properties along US 99 or SR 41/Blackstone Avenue.

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels...AxOS0wOC0xNlIA
not expecting anything fancy, mostly looking for clean locations in low crime areas. Thanks for the tip on US 99 or SR 41/Blackstone Avenue.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:31 pm

The properties east of Freeway 41 at the Herndon exit are also all fine, that puts you near the RiverPark shopping area for some restaurant choices. Just avoid the properties with Blackstone addresses.

At the 41/Herndon exit you'll find a Homewood and Hampton from Hilton's portfolio. The Marriott properties at that exit are just a SpringHill and TownePlace.

There is also a recently opened new-build Hyatt Place and a few other hotels in that 41/Herndon area.

Wherever you stay, consider a dinner reservation (very necessary) at The Annex Kitchen on Shaw Avenue. It has gotten raves from both the Food Network's Simon Majumdar and Tyler Florence.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
I've stayed at the DT downtown and the HGI in Clovis. Both are good choices. The DT is within walking distance to a good local craft brewery (Tioga-Sequoia) and the minor league baseball park, if either of those things are appealing to you.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
The best hotel option near Fresno is to stay in Visalia at the Marriott, but hardly convenient (Visalia is about as nice as valley towns get, it even has trees).
I tend to stay at the SHS or the Fairfield in Clovis. There's not really any great FS properties in Fresburg, and everything is amazingly overpriced.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the south side of town near 99 and the In N Out. It is a decent hotel (with a weekday social hour), but it is in a bad location with a lot homeless and a seedy motel in the same parking lot. It's also right next to 99 so rooms on that side of the building are noisy. Another negative that any decent restaurants are all on the other side of town.
A better Holiday Inn Express is the one on Shaw Ave in Clovis, just off 168. All rooms are recently renovated with the new HIE interiors and it is good location for restaurants.
abmj-jr likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by nmpls
The best hotel option near Fresno is to stay in Visalia at the Marriott, but hardly convenient (Visalia is about as nice as valley towns get, it even has trees).
I tend to stay at the SHS or the Fairfield in Clovis. There's not really any great FS properties in Fresburg, and everything is amazingly overpriced.
I wouldn't consider a place that is 45 - 50 miles away from Fresno to be "near" Fresno. That's somewhat like saying San Jose is "near" San Francisco. From a global perspective, it's true, but otherwise....

I've stayed in several hotels in Fresno and Clovis, all of which were decent, but it's been a few years, so my info may not be up to date. Also, I found them to be reasonably priced at the time, so if they are "amazingly overpriced," maybe things have really changed.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:07 am

The new Hyatt Place in Fresno received a good detailed review last week. It is one of several new properties from different portfolios that opened in 2019.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...l#post31798244

There are an additional 2,000 new hotel rooms currently under construction or nearing ground breaking in the Fresno/Clovis area.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
^^^^^^
And it is really needed. Honestly, the entire central valley outside of Bakersfield and Visalia are really underserved. I have issues gettin rooms near Chowchilla at reasonable rates.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I wouldn't consider a place that is 45 - 50 miles away from Fresno to be "near" Fresno. That's somewhat like saying San Jose is "near" San Francisco. From a global perspective, it's true, but otherwise....

I've stayed in several hotels in Fresno and Clovis, all of which were decent, but it's been a few years, so my info may not be up to date. Also, I found them to be reasonably priced at the time, so if they are "amazingly overpriced," maybe things have really changed.
Hence the "hardly convenient."
I often find hotels more expensive in Fresno than San Luis Obispo or San Diego and less nice. Few of them, if any, are full service. Basically Fresno has become overflow for Yosemite, which has jacked the rates. Its better than merced though.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by nmpls
….
Hence the "hardly convenient."
I often find hotels more expensive in Fresno than San Luis Obispo or San Diego and less nice. Few of them, if any, are full service. Basically Fresno has become overflow for Yosemite, which has jacked the rates. Its better than merced though.
Maybe it's an overemphasis on "full service" that leads you to underrate the hotels in Fresno/Clovis?

To me, "full service" often ends up meaning overpriced and lacking in things that I really want -- such as an included breakfast (either for all guests or for guests with some level of status, such as myself).

I'm surprised that Fresno/Clovis is sometimes more expensive than SLO or SD though. So, maybe things really have changed since I last stayed in that area!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.