Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay in Palm Springs, CA?

Where to Stay in Palm Springs, CA?

Old Apr 18, 19, 12:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Where to Stay in Palm Springs, CA?

Where to stay in Palm Springs? I'll be there in June for 3 nights (I know it will be hotter than hell). I was thinking the Parker but reviews seem mixed, L' Horizon seems like an option too, but some people told me location isn't great. I'll be traveling solo, I'm in my mid twenties and just want to relax and see the area. Lounge by the pool have a few drinks. I'll have car, but I would love o be able to walk to restaurants and bars.
babs441 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 10:39 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: La Jolla, California
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Posts: 977
Originally Posted by babs441 View Post
Where to stay in Palm Springs? I'll be there in June for 3 nights (I know it will be hotter than hell). I was thinking the Parker but reviews seem mixed, L' Horizon seems like an option too, but some people told me location isn't great. I'll be traveling solo, I'm in my mid-twenties and just want to relax and see the area. Lounge by the pool have a few drinks. I'll have a car, but I would love to be able to walk to restaurants and bars.
I think you want to be closer to the action. I prefer Alcazar since it is walking distance to Cheeky's and Copley's, but I haven't found any hotels in this area that merit hosannas and high $$$$. The bars and restaurants are terrific. PS is a lot of fun.

I regularly stay in Palm Springs on the way to/from Chuckwalla. You are, ahhh, aware of the 'liberal' nature of Palm Springs? It can be a tad awkward for those of that are not, .... uhhh .... (no clever way to state this in the present alphabet world without starting a flame war ...)
bhrubin likes this.
mike_la_jolla is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 1:11 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
I think you want to be closer to the action. I prefer Alcazar since it is walking distance to Cheeky's and Copley's, but I haven't found any hotels in this area that merit hosannas and high $$$$. The bars and restaurants are terrific. PS is a lot of fun.

I regularly stay in Palm Springs on the way to/from Chuckwalla. You are, ahhh, aware of the 'liberal' nature of Palm Springs? It can be a tad awkward for those of that are not, .... uhhh .... (no clever way to state this in the present alphabet world without starting a flame war ...)
Thanks, Ill take a look at Alcazar. Any other recommendations for Palm Springs? I know Iíll go to Joshua tree in the early morning just to see it. Iím not a hiker and Iíll stop at Pioneertown for lunch. Is there any negatives to LĒHorizon? Iím very aware of Palm Springs and itís liberal reputation and Iím cool with it.
babs441 is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 6:38 pm
  #4  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,767
Originally Posted by babs441 View Post


Thanks, Ill take a look at Alcazar. Any other recommendations for Palm Springs? I know I’ll go to Joshua tree in the early morning just to see it. I’m not a hiker and I’ll stop at Pioneertown for lunch. Is there any negatives to L”Horizon? I’m very aware of Palm Springs and it’s liberal reputation and I’m cool with it.


Does it have to be Palm Springs ? Or will you consider vicinity of Palm Desert or Rancho Mirage ?
FlyerEC is online now  
Old Apr 21, 19, 9:49 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Posts: 1,224
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
I think you want to be closer to the action. I prefer Alcazar since it is walking distance to Cheeky's and Copley's, but I haven't found any hotels in this area that merit hosannas and high $$$$. The bars and restaurants are terrific. PS is a lot of fun.

I regularly stay in Palm Springs on the way to/from Chuckwalla. You are, ahhh, aware of the 'liberal' nature of Palm Springs? It can be a tad awkward for those of that are not, .... uhhh .... (no clever way to state this in the present alphabet world without starting a flame war ...)
Why even bring up the liberal nature of Palm Springs? The OP wasn't asking for a political recommendation, just a place to relax by the pool.
muji and babs441 like this.
wripro is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 3:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: La Jolla, California
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Posts: 977
Originally Posted by wripro View Post
Why even bring up the liberal nature of Palm Springs? The OP wasn't asking for a political recommendation, just a place to relax by the pool.
This sort of information is very much germane to a single traveler. Actually more so than the 'ownership of the hotel' issue we have been beating to death in a wiki the last few weeks. And I wasn't referring to politics. You need to read my post more carefully.

... Never been to Palm Springs?
bhrubin likes this.
mike_la_jolla is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 5:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Posts: 3,725
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
This sort of information is very much germane to a single traveler. Actually more so than the 'ownership of the hotel' issue we have been beating to death in a wiki the last few weeks. And I wasn't referring to politics. You need to read my post more carefully.

... Never been to Palm Springs?
Right. You're just calling the visible gay presence awkward. Got it.
justforfun is online now  
Old Apr 21, 19, 5:42 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Posts: 3,725
Originally Posted by babs441 View Post
Where to stay in Palm Springs? I'll be there in June for 3 nights (I know it will be hotter than hell). I was thinking the Parker but reviews seem mixed, L' Horizon seems like an option too, but some people told me location isn't great. I'll be traveling solo, I'm in my mid twenties and just want to relax and see the area. Lounge by the pool have a few drinks. I'll have car, but I would love o be able to walk to restaurants and bars.
If you want to be able to walk to restaurants and bars, your options for luxury establishments are limited. By no means a luxury property, Triada Autograph Collection is a quaint property in an amazing location. Truly walkable to downtown Palm Springs and everything it has to offer. It's right across the street from Alcazar, so both in ideal spots.
justforfun is online now  
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:23 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 4,041
I would also take a look at the new Kimpton Rowan if I wanted to be directly in PS. Not a luxury hotel but it is getting good reviews.
christianj is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:55 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
Right. You're just calling the visible gay presence awkward. Got it.
Palm Springs gives off a rather promiscuous vibe, which is not my thing, but donít think this has anything do with sexual orientation. Works in all directions...

Any opinions on R-C Rancho Mirage?
scented is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 4,041
Originally Posted by scented View Post
Any opinions on R-C Rancho Mirage?
I think generally considered the most "luxury" option in the area but it does NOT seem to fit the bill based on OP desire to be in town. If it works for you...I think there is a thread giving more details of the property.
christianj is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:40 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Posts: 1,224
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
This sort of information is very much germane to a single traveler. Actually more so than the 'ownership of the hotel' issue we have been beating to death in a wiki the last few weeks. And I wasn't referring to politics. You need to read my post more carefully.

... Never been to Palm Springs?
I live there.
RichardInSF likes this.
wripro is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 5:41 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: LA
Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by scented View Post


Palm Springs gives off a rather promiscuous vibe, which is not my thing, but donít think this has anything do with sexual orientation. Works in all directions...

Any opinions on R-C Rancho Mirage?
I would avoid it for one simple reason: there are no actual solid doors or dividers within the room. Every door is wood slit and so are the dividers between rooms so sound can pass through everything and anything (including the bathroom......). But if you're alone, it won't be an issue.
Jerkstore is offline  
Old Apr 26, 19, 4:07 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canada
Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Posts: 1,541
OP, given what you are looking for, what about Arrive (North Palm Canyon)? Very hip.

If you are willing to stay somewhat down valley, Hotel Paseo is an option. Just a year old. Rooms are on the small size but should be fine for one. Well located.

The Rowan is interesting (I’m a Kimpton fan). Not like any other Kimpton and I’ve stayed at numerous ones. Almost no lobby to speak of but the only roof top pool in the valley. Great views up there.

You could also look at Ace (near L’Horizon) — very hip, a happening place. Also not great value. There’s also The Riviera (a rat pack hangout back in the day).

A lovely spot is The Palm Springs Hotel, also on North Palm. They did a terrific reno on it and there are often good deals out of season. Boutique hotel, only about 12 or 15 rooms with free parking. Zozo is another possibility. On Indian Canyon.

Enjoy. The valley is a special place.
Bartolo is offline  
Old Apr 26, 19, 4:19 pm
  #15  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,340
As this thread discusses the broader issue of where to stay in Palm Springs, not just where are the Luxury Hotels, I am moving the thread to the California Forum (Destinations: USA)
Obscure2k
Moderator
Luxury Hotels and Travel
obscure2k is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread