Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay in Palm Springs, CA?

Old Apr 18, 19, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Where to stay in Palm Springs? I'll be there in June for 3 nights (I know it will be hotter than hell). I was thinking the Parker but reviews seem mixed, L' Horizon seems like an option too, but some people told me location isn't great. I'll be traveling solo, I'm in my mid twenties and just want to relax and see the area. Lounge by the pool have a few drinks. I'll have car, but I would love o be able to walk to restaurants and bars.
Old Apr 18, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by babs441 View Post
Where to stay in Palm Springs? I'll be there in June for 3 nights (I know it will be hotter than hell). I was thinking the Parker but reviews seem mixed, L' Horizon seems like an option too, but some people told me location isn't great. I'll be traveling solo, I'm in my mid-twenties and just want to relax and see the area. Lounge by the pool have a few drinks. I'll have a car, but I would love to be able to walk to restaurants and bars.
I think you want to be closer to the action. I prefer Alcazar since it is walking distance to Cheeky's and Copley's, but I haven't found any hotels in this area that merit hosannas and high $$$$. The bars and restaurants are terrific. PS is a lot of fun.

I regularly stay in Palm Springs on the way to/from Chuckwalla. You are, ahhh, aware of the 'liberal' nature of Palm Springs? It can be a tad awkward for those of that are not, .... uhhh .... (no clever way to state this in the present alphabet world without starting a flame war ...)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
I think you want to be closer to the action. I prefer Alcazar since it is walking distance to Cheeky's and Copley's, but I haven't found any hotels in this area that merit hosannas and high $$$$. The bars and restaurants are terrific. PS is a lot of fun.

I regularly stay in Palm Springs on the way to/from Chuckwalla. You are, ahhh, aware of the 'liberal' nature of Palm Springs? It can be a tad awkward for those of that are not, .... uhhh .... (no clever way to state this in the present alphabet world without starting a flame war ...)
Thanks, Ill take a look at Alcazar. Any other recommendations for Palm Springs? I know Iíll go to Joshua tree in the early morning just to see it. Iím not a hiker and Iíll stop at Pioneertown for lunch. Is there any negatives to LĒHorizon? Iím very aware of Palm Springs and itís liberal reputation and Iím cool with it.
Old Apr 19, 19, 6:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Thanks, Ill take a look at Alcazar. Any other recommendations for Palm Springs? I know I’ll go to Joshua tree in the early morning just to see it. I’m not a hiker and I’ll stop at Pioneertown for lunch. Is there any negatives to L”Horizon? I’m very aware of Palm Springs and it’s liberal reputation and I’m cool with it.

Does it have to be Palm Springs ? Or will you consider vicinity of Palm Desert or Rancho Mirage ?
Old Apr 21, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott

Why even bring up the liberal nature of Palm Springs? The OP wasn't asking for a political recommendation, just a place to relax by the pool.
muji and babs441 like this.
Old Apr 21, 19, 3:28 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by wripro View Post
Why even bring up the liberal nature of Palm Springs? The OP wasn't asking for a political recommendation, just a place to relax by the pool.
This sort of information is very much germane to a single traveler. Actually more so than the 'ownership of the hotel' issue we have been beating to death in a wiki the last few weeks. And I wasn't referring to politics. You need to read my post more carefully.

... Never been to Palm Springs?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 21, 19, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
This sort of information is very much germane to a single traveler. Actually more so than the 'ownership of the hotel' issue we have been beating to death in a wiki the last few weeks. And I wasn't referring to politics. You need to read my post more carefully.

Right. You're just calling the visible gay presence awkward. Got it.
Old Apr 21, 19, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Where to stay in Palm Springs? I'll be there in June for 3 nights (I know it will be hotter than hell). I was thinking the Parker but reviews seem mixed, L' Horizon seems like an option too, but some people told me location isn't great. I'll be traveling solo, I'm in my mid twenties and just want to relax and see the area. Lounge by the pool have a few drinks. I'll have car, but I would love o be able to walk to restaurants and bars.
If you want to be able to walk to restaurants and bars, your options for luxury establishments are limited. By no means a luxury property, Triada Autograph Collection is a quaint property in an amazing location. Truly walkable to downtown Palm Springs and everything it has to offer. It's right across the street from Alcazar, so both in ideal spots.
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
I would also take a look at the new Kimpton Rowan if I wanted to be directly in PS. Not a luxury hotel but it is getting good reviews.
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
Right. You're just calling the visible gay presence awkward. Got it.
Palm Springs gives off a rather promiscuous vibe, which is not my thing, but donít think this has anything do with sexual orientation. Works in all directions...

Any opinions on R-C Rancho Mirage?
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by scented View Post
I think generally considered the most "luxury" option in the area but it does NOT seem to fit the bill based on OP desire to be in town. If it works for you...I think there is a thread giving more details of the property.
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:40 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott

I live there.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 5:41 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by scented View Post

Palm Springs gives off a rather promiscuous vibe, which is not my thing, but donít think this has anything do with sexual orientation. Works in all directions...

I would avoid it for one simple reason: there are no actual solid doors or dividers within the room. Every door is wood slit and so are the dividers between rooms so sound can pass through everything and anything (including the bathroom......). But if you're alone, it won't be an issue.
Old Apr 26, 19, 4:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
OP, given what you are looking for, what about Arrive (North Palm Canyon)? Very hip.

If you are willing to stay somewhat down valley, Hotel Paseo is an option. Just a year old. Rooms are on the small size but should be fine for one. Well located.

The Rowan is interesting (I’m a Kimpton fan). Not like any other Kimpton and I’ve stayed at numerous ones. Almost no lobby to speak of but the only roof top pool in the valley. Great views up there.

You could also look at Ace (near L’Horizon) — very hip, a happening place. Also not great value. There’s also The Riviera (a rat pack hangout back in the day).

A lovely spot is The Palm Springs Hotel, also on North Palm. They did a terrific reno on it and there are often good deals out of season. Boutique hotel, only about 12 or 15 rooms with free parking. Zozo is another possibility. On Indian Canyon.

Enjoy. The valley is a special place.
Old Apr 26, 19, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this thread discusses the broader issue of where to stay in Palm Springs, not just where are the Luxury Hotels, I am moving the thread to the California Forum (Destinations: USA)
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel

Search this Thread