Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

SMF (Sacramento) to Stateline, NV Without Car

Old Feb 4, 19, 5:26 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum

Hi FT,

As the title might suggest, I'd like to go from SMF to Stateline, NV (or less desirably, South Lake Tahoe) without a car.

Please suggest any possible bus/transfer options that you know of.

Cheers,
BmB
Old Feb 4, 19, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Looks like Amtrak has a bus service from downtown SAC to South Lake Tahoe - should be 5 miles or so to Stateline.
Old Feb 4, 19, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MR Gold, WR Diamond, BW Diam Sel
Google Maps shows a few different transit routes between Sacramento and Stateline. Most of them involve multiple transfers and ridiculously long total travel times. However, there is (possibly) one that leaves Sacramento at 10 AM and arrives in Stateline at 12:46 PM. It's the Amtrak Thruway Connecting Service (mentioned above). I don't know 1) if you have to purchase a train ride in addition or if it can be purchased as a standalone fare; and 2) what days of the week it runs (I think it's 7 days a week, but be sure to check the Amtrak website!).

In the reverse direction, the Amtrak Thruway bus leaves Stateline for Sacramento at 1:46 PM.
Old Feb 5, 19, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Appreciate both of your replies!

Given the lack of frequency in bus routes, I might havta bite the bullet and fly into Reno...

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Feb 5, 19 at 4:08 am
Old Feb 5, 19, 11:48 pm

I'm not sure the public transit options from RNO to Stateline are much better, but a Lyft/Uber or ski shuttle should be reasonable, and you won't have to deal with any shenanigans over the pass.
Old Feb 6, 19, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd View Post
I'm not sure the public transit options from RNO to Stateline are much better, but a Lyft/Uber or ski shuttle should be reasonable, and you won't have to deal with any shenanigans over the pass.
There are some (or at least one) scheduled airport transfer services. I would think an Uber/Lyft would be a fortune.
Old Feb 6, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Plat.
There are definitely more options for getting to/from RNO than SMF. Lyft/Uber would cost a fortune, but the South Tahoe Airporter runs a pretty regular schedule and their route is less impacted by storms than anything between Sacramento and South Lake. 6-8 feet of snow along the Sierra crest over the last week closed both highways 50(Echo Summit) and 80(Donner Summit) for extended periods of time.
Old Feb 10, 19, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate all of your replies!

ended up booking a r/t slt bus from rno.