Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

1st time visit for family of 3 in California or San Diego.How to save & where to stay

1st time visit for family of 3 in California or San Diego.How to save & where to stay

Old Oct 22, 18, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

We have a week in late Dec or in Jan 2019 and we are a parents and a 5 years old child. My child is autistic but he is an active child and loves going out and outdoor activities. We are not in to high & scary rides at attractions because I too get scared.
My concern is the attraction ticket costs. I googled and found few attractions we may like. They seem to be expensive but we would visit the zoo, Legoland, Seaworld and maybe the children's museum too. We would like to walk around in evening. Maybe we should just rent a car instead of Uber rides right? Are there parking apps I can check to know the parking options and the rates? I do that here in Chicago where we live and i find the parking rates much better then paying directly at the places we go to. Please tell us the best ways to save on attraction cost, the best area to stay and finding parking deal.
I have hotel points at Hilton, IHG,Hyatt & Radisson. What area should we stay at and what hotels do you recommend? I would like one that is close to asian resturants and mcdonalds, etc.
Thanks a lot for helping us out with info and advice!
Old Oct 22, 18, 5:25 pm

Legoland is more pleasant for walks with small kid vs seaworld which is rather crowded and cold for splashing activities in dec/jan. Westin sheraton and some sort of hilton are attached to legoland with private entrance. You will likely need a car to get around unless you stay in downtown (with all pros and cons) plus car will allow some nice coastal drives in tbe area.
Some la jolla hotels (es, marriott etc) are close to shopping center and food options - sort of urban area but morw manicured and not as busy as dt san diego...
Old Oct 23, 18, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Legoland is more pleasant for walks with small kid vs seaworld which is rather crowded and cold for splashing activities in dec/jan. Westin sheraton and some sort of hilton are attached to legoland with private entrance. You will likely need a car to get around unless you stay in downtown (with all pros and cons) plus car will allow some nice coastal drives in tbe area.
Some la jolla hotels (es, marriott etc) are close to shopping center and food options - sort of urban area but morw manicured and not as busy as dt san diego...
What location do you recommend we stay at? Please name few hotels too and I will search availability and costs.
Old Oct 23, 18, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
What location do you recommend we stay at? Please name few hotels too and I will search availability and costs.
personally i prefer to stay away from dt sd with kids and instead go to la jolla or del mar or more north in carlsbad area (if legoland is on the agenda, sheraton/westin/hyatt aviara resorts there)
if staying in UTC area of la jolla embassy suites or marriott can be more city-convenient with a nice mall with lots of food options across the street but that's not gonna be a resort setup

use google street view to see how things looks like and gauge what you prefer - lots of hotels in general SD area
Old Oct 24, 18, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
personally i prefer to stay away from dt sd with kids and instead go to la jolla or del mar or more north in carlsbad area (if legoland is on the agenda, sheraton/westin/hyatt aviara resorts there)
if staying in UTC area of la jolla embassy suites or marriott can be more city-convenient with a nice mall with lots of food options across the street but that's not gonna be a resort setup

use google street view to see how things looks like and gauge what you prefer - lots of hotels in general SD area
I wanted a hotel with free parking included and I checked at hilton with the points and I see

Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa

decent location, very close to Mcdonalds and many asian, indian chinese resturants? Also not too far from legoland, sea world and zoo, etc? We are renting a car so having to drive about 15 miles won't bother us.
your advice pls
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:44 pm

depends on what your priorities - personally for a weeklong vacation in california i would look for smth more resort like but the tradeoff of course is parking/resort fees isolation etc...
HI is not a resorty setup and probably not the most manicured/polished area but location is convenient to drive around and quite a few reasonable food options within short drive (not sure about walking around there).. gonna look like any generic roadside midrange hotel in chicago or elsewhere but without snow to scrape from your car...
obviously hampton in general is not a hotel to spend a lot of time in but a solid and practical option to sleep park your car have a small bite on the way out.. perhaps others can offer more comments on location

Last edited by azepine00; Oct 24, 18 at 8:49 pm
Old Oct 25, 18, 5:08 pm

Kearny Mesa isn't a terribly exciting location for tourists. It's mostly commercial/light industrial, and not terribly far from Montgomery Field (a general aviation airport) and MCAS Miramar. Nearby Convoy Street is notable for Asian restaurants and shops; the restaurants in particular tend to have more authentic Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese in particular) and less Americanized food.

Legoland is a bit of a drive north to Carlsbad, but that's going to be true wherever you stay if you're in the city of San Diego. I'd estimate 30 minutes if you avoid the commuting hours.

I haven't stayed at the Hampton Inn so I can't comment on the hotel itself.
Old Oct 29, 18, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717 View Post
Kearny Mesa isn't a terribly exciting location for tourists. It's mostly commercial/light industrial, and not terribly far from Montgomery Field (a general aviation airport) and MCAS Miramar. Nearby Convoy Street is notable for Asian restaurants and shops; the restaurants in particular tend to have more authentic Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese in particular) and less Americanized food.

Legoland is a bit of a drive north to Carlsbad, but that's going to be true wherever you stay if you're in the city of San Diego. I'd estimate 30 minutes if you avoid the commuting hours.

I haven't stayed at the Hampton Inn so I can't comment on the hotel itself.
Even though I have reserved 7 nights at the Hampton inn at Hampton Inn San Diego-Kearny Mesa, I am still looking at other affordable chain options that has free parking and or free breakfast. The breakfast is very limited and in small room I heared so could be Meh for us !

I found some affordable IHG property & 1 Hyatt property that included breakfast and parking.

Holiday Inn Express San Diego SeaWorld-Beach Area

StayBridge.

Hyatt House San Diego Sorrento Mesa https://www.countryinns.com/san-diego-hotel-ca-92121/casdiego/area

what about the locations? We prefer one with stores and some restaurants, mcdonalds nearby and not too far from the attractions. Maybe something for child to walk to and play. I have Hilton, IHG and Hyatt points! Not many offer free parking even though they offer breakfast. I see two holiday inn expresses. One says seaworld which cost more points and the other is called Seaworld beach which cost bit less. If the later is at good location I might book the later? The Hampton inn I currently have booked has no microwave . Not really cooking this time but kitchen will be a plus to heat foods at least . Pls tell me more about the Hyatt sorrento messa and it’s location. Looks like it too has kitchen breakfast and free parking. Thanks

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Oct 29, 18 at 9:34 am
Old Oct 29, 18, 10:57 am

The Holiday Inn Express SeaWorld-Beach Area is at the north side of Mission Bay; SeaWorld is on the south side. There's a few businesses and restaurants on Mission Bay Drive there, including the original Rubio's. The other Holiday Inn Express is closer to SeaWorld, also close to several restaurant options.

The Sorrento Mesa area is mostly office parks, Qualcomm's headquarters is there for example. So I suspect most of the hotels in that area cater towards business travelers. There are some small shopping plazas with restaurants. The Staybridge is furthest east between them, the Hyatt House, and the Country Inn so it's more into the residential areas of Mira Mesa, it's also right next to a shopping plaza with several restaurants. But it's also furthest from the freeway, so it will take you that much longer to get from there to any of the attractions you want to visit.
Old Oct 29, 18, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717 View Post
The Holiday Inn Express SeaWorld-Beach Area is at the north side of Mission Bay; SeaWorld is on the south side. There's a few businesses and restaurants on Mission Bay Drive there, including the original Rubio's. The other Holiday Inn Express is closer to SeaWorld, also close to several restaurant options.

The Sorrento Mesa area is mostly office parks, Qualcomm's headquarters is there for example. So I suspect most of the hotels in that area cater towards business travelers. There are some small shopping plazas with restaurants. The Staybridge is furthest east between them, the Hyatt House, and the Country Inn so it's more into the residential areas of Mira Mesa, it's also right next to a shopping plaza with several restaurants. But it's also furthest from the freeway, so it will take you that much longer to get from there to any of the attractions you want to visit.
What are some you will recommend that from IHG, Hilton, Club Carlson, Hyatt properties near restaurants, Mcdonads, that offers free parking, breakfast and fridge and microwave. We are 2 adults with a 4 years old. I have hilton points with gold , IHG spire, Hyatt discoverist, Club carlson gold. Will be using my points.
We will be renting a car and visiting the sea world, legoland, zoo , safari, museums and parks. Thanks

How is https://homewoodsuites3.hilton.com/e...ns/index.html? mentions full kitchen with free parking in DELMAR. what about the location?

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Oct 29, 18 at 3:57 pm
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:54 pm

On average hyatt house and homewood suites are better options for family travel and offer more consistent products than HIX which can be run down old properties (or can be brand new and quite nice). Sorry can not help with specific properties but given those options i would pick hyatt house. With a car you'll be OK - don't overanalyze it.
Old Oct 31, 18, 12:15 am

There's a Holiday Inn Express in Encinitas/Cardiff.
Much nicer than Kearney Mesa.
Old Oct 31, 18, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Carlsbad (Legoland) can be a bit of a drive from many areas of San Diego. We stayed at a Hilton property next to the beach in Carlsbad last year, I think it was a Hilton Garden Inn. As a diamond we got breakfast. Thereís a Costco nearby, and quite a few restaurants, McDonald's within a mile or so. This location did charge for parking ($10?), but I recall there being a Hampton Inn nearby that did not.

If you can split your stays between Carlsbad and San Diego, it can be quite nice.

There are multiple day passes for many activities sold online, and through Costco that may save you money. We bought a Legoland annual pass through Costco, for about the same price as a single entry ticket. It did have some blackout days for 2018/2019 between Christmas and the first few days of January.

https://www.smartdestinations.com/sa...Go&allInc=true

Our 5 year old loved Legoland, Balboa Park, and Ruben H Fleet Science Center. We only had a shorter stay in San Diego, so didnít do Sea World or San Diego Zoo. I have been to them years ago and enjoyed them.
Old Nov 1, 18, 1:26 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

If you have Hyatt Points, the recently remodeled Hyatt Regency, La Jolla is a good Category 4 option.
Old Nov 5, 18, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Is there car rental around the Homewood suites Liberty Station? There is one at the airport but I wanted to compare rates to see if I should avoid the airport extra fees by NOT renting at airport location,
Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: