Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

SAN Terminal 1 is finally being rebuilt (estimated phase I completion 2023)

Old Jul 23, 18, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold

SAN recently released their environmental impact report for the Terminal 1 rebuild. The project will occur in two phases, eventually culminating in the demolition of both the current T1 and the eastern half of T2. Best of all, there'll finally be an airside connection between the two terminals. Per this news article they're expecting all approvals to occur by next year and the first phase to complete construction in 2023.

Anyway, can't wait for the renderings to see what it'll ultimately look like.
wolfpacktrojan likes this.
Old Jul 27, 18, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Net of 10 additional gates. One downside is that the new terminal is going to be a looong, terminal - a lot of moving sidewalks are envisioned (I hope).
Old Jul 27, 18, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Net of 10 additional gates. One downside is that the new terminal is going to be a looong, terminal - a lot of moving sidewalks are envisioned (I hope).
T2 is already a long walk from one end to the other and people seem to do okay without moving walkways. Though this is probably due to there being multiple TSA checkpoints.
Old Jul 27, 18, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
It will be interesting to see the gate re-alignment. AA is pretty nicely tucked into T2E which basically goes away.
Old Oct 4, 18, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
May or may not move forward quickly.... https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...do-terminal-1/

officials from the city of San Diego, the Port of San Diego, San Diego County, the Metropolitan Transit System, the San Diego Association of Governments, the California Coastal Commission, the California State Lands Commission and the state Department of Transportation submitted stern – at times exasperated – letters opposing the airport’s approach.

The opposition could derail the project, and has revealed massive disagreement over the best way to improve the airport’s connection to transit and deal with its continued growth.
It would be nice to get the terminal renovated, but the continued focus on on-site parking over transit is annoying.
Old Oct 5, 18, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soartoday View Post
May or may not move forward quickly.... https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...do-terminal-1/

It would be nice to get the terminal renovated, but the continued focus on on-site parking over transit is annoying.
In fairness to the Airport Authority, it is kinda difficult to plan for something that may or may not come any time soon (the transit center at the north end of the airport).

We'll see what happens in any case.
Old Nov 10, 18, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's the Airport Authority's response to the comments about their draft environmental plan: https://san.org/Airport-Projects/Air...velopment-Plan

Basically it's "we've definitely taken transit concerns into account" and "we'll help pay for transit improvements once MTS and FAA sign off".
Old Nov 13, 18, 6:49 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Though I will always love never waiting to get through security when flying Alaska it's about time SAN get's this done!!
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There's a proposed plan to redevelop the SPAWAR property northeast of the airport as an extension to the Old Town Transit Center with a possible tunnel based connection to the airport: https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...ransit-vision/. Supposedly it might be done as a public-private partnership, too.

The downside, of course, is that at least some of the financing might depend on an initiative being passed by voters. Considering that 2/3rds majorities are generally required for tax increases in California, I'm not sure enough people will be down for it.

Search this Thread