Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Best airport for Joshua Tree NP

Old Apr 7, 18, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,

Planning a trip to Joshua Tree and trying to figure out which airport would be more convenient to use - LAX or SAN? Also, which of the routes would be the most scenic one? We would have no problem landing into one and leaving from a different one if necessary.
Old Apr 7, 18, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
The closest airport to Joshua Tree National Park is PSP which is about 40 miles away; ONT is about 95 miles, LAX 145, SAN 160, LAS 180, PHX 225 and SFO 500.

If you are looking for a scenic route, consider going from San Diego to Joshua Tree NP via Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and the Salton Sea; the driving distance, not including visiting those locations, is a bit more than 170 miles.
boxo likes this.
Old Apr 9, 18, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
The closest airport to Joshua Tree National Park is PSP which is about 40 miles away; ONT is about 95 miles, LAX 145, SAN 160, LAS 180, PHX 225 and SFO 500.

If you are looking for a scenic route, consider going from San Diego to Joshua Tree NP via Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and the Salton Sea; the driving distance, not including visiting those locations, is a bit more than 170 miles.
Thank you for the route suggestion. I had actually never looked into Anza-Borrego before - I will definitely try to add it to the itinerary now. Looks pretty incredible!

Last edited by honores41; Apr 9, 18 at 8:22 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 11, 18, 10:45 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was last in this area about 4 months ago, visiting both Joshua Tree and Anza-Borrego. Anza-Borrego is less developed and does reward having an off-road vehicle (along with the skill to use it). I would not regard the Salton Sea as scenic; it's more of a rather depressing oddity.
Old Apr 13, 18, 11:59 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It's also worth considering SNA. I've flown through there a few times on trips to Joshua Tree/Palm Springs area when it offered better price and schedule than other airports in SoCal.
Old Apr 14, 18, 8:17 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
It's also worth considering SNA. I've flown through there a few times on trips to Joshua Tree/Palm Springs area when it offered better price and schedule than other airports in SoCal.
At about 120 miles from Joshua Tree National Park via California State Routes 55, 91 and 60, and I10, SNA is closer than either LAX or SAN.
Old Apr 14, 18, 8:21 am

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
I was last in this area about 4 months ago, visiting both Joshua Tree and Anza-Borrego. Anza-Borrego is less developed and does reward having an off-road vehicle (along with the skill to use it). I would not regard the Salton Sea as scenic; it's more of a rather depressing oddity.
And the one time I went there (thinking it would be interesting) , I found it infested with flies and insects. Not exactly life on the French Riviera.
Old Apr 14, 18, 9:19 am

Programs: HH Gold,
I usually fly into ONT to visit Joshua Tree. I second visiting Anza Borrego. There is a great canyon hike that takes you up to a palm oasis. I think its Palm Canyon. It is up by the visitor's center. I was there in October and it was bone dry. Up at the oasis, you could smell water and walk through the palms, but you couldn't see it.

I went back last year in March after a wet winter and the oasis was full of water pools, rapids, etc. It was really an amazing difference. I love that State Park.
Old Apr 14, 18, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
I would not regard the Salton Sea as scenic; it's more of a rather depressing oddity.
Pardon my awkward phrasing.

I did not mean to suggest that the Salton Sea is scenic. The scenic part of the route is Anza-Borrego Desert State Park; however, to get to Joshua Tree National Park from there, the road passes by the Salton Sea.
Old Apr 15, 18, 2:49 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Pardon my awkward phrasing. I did not mean to suggest that the Salton Sea is scenic.
"The saline levels had spawned an algal bloom—a sudden increase in phytoplankton algae—that had a profound smell … some described it as rotten eggs, or (and this is my favorite) “puke on a hot sidewalk”.
Sordid History of the Salton Sea
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Apr 30, 18, 2:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW: CNN's take on Joshua Tree NP:

How to make the most of Joshua Tree on your visit

David
Old Apr 30, 18, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
I usually fly into ONT to visit Joshua Tree. I second visiting Anza Borrego. There is a great canyon hike that takes you up to a palm oasis. I think its Palm Canyon. It is up by the visitor's center. I was there in October and it was bone dry. Up at the oasis, you could smell water and walk through the palms, but you couldn't see it.

I went back last year in March after a wet winter and the oasis was full of water pools, rapids, etc. It was really an amazing difference. I love that State Park.
Thank you for the airport recommendation and input - are there any other hikes in the park that you would reccomend?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: