Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Yosemite conditions 2018

Yosemite conditions 2018

Old Mar 28, 18, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, MR LT PP, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Yosemite conditions 2018

I'm considering a weekend trip to Yosemite in a few weeks. Who's been recently? What are the weather conditions, flows, crowds, traffic, etc?
Old Apr 6, 18, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Yosemite Valley is closed as of 5 pm on Friday April 6, with all Valley visitors asked to evacuate, due to expected flooding from the "atmospheric river" rainstorm. The Park Service will issue updates as conditions change.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/...april-2018.htm
Old Apr 6, 18, 11:10 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The latest reports were that the Pohono Bridge is likely to flood completely tonight and the Merced River could overflow its banks again. I'd avoid Yosemite Valley for the near future. This storm looks like a real gully washer.
Old Apr 10, 18, 1:07 am

Just FYI. Yosemite is back open after near record flooding. Some parts of the Valley were under 4 feet of water and the Merced River footbridges inside the Valley were all under water as well. There is still a fair amount of debris clean-up on-going but the falls are absolutely booming.
Old Apr 22, 18, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
I spent last weekend in Yosemite (the weekend after it was closed).

The flooding had completely subsided. Some areas were still a little damp and muddy, but no different to what you'd expect in April.

Otherwise things are exactly as they normally are in April - Glacier Peak Road and Tioga Pass are still closed. Everywhere else is open, with chains generally not required (and probably won't be from here on in).

Trails are mostly clear, but still in their early-spring states (eg, Four Mile Trail closed just below Union Point, snow on some of the higher trails, etc). Water levels over the falls were fairly normal for this time of year - certainly down from what they were a week earlier during the flooding!)
Old Apr 25, 18, 8:11 pm

The Glacier Point Road is scheduled to reopen for the season on Saturday, April 28.

Note that the road will open to vehicle traffic but there will be no services and none of the campgrounds will be open. The road is being plowed but everything else is still under snow or - worse - mud.
Old Apr 26, 18, 3:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA 1ok
Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
The road is being plowed but everything else is still under snow or - worse - mud.
Ah, but it will be _fresh_ mud

David
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MR Gold, WR Diamond, BW Diam Sel
Update: Yosemite's Mariposa Grove (of Giant Sequoias) was recently reopened after a three-year restoration/renovation project. Enjoy!

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...photo-15718486
JDiver and abmj-jr like this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 1:38 am

A quick note for potential visitors. Due to nearby wildfires, the air in Yosemite Valley is pretty nasty right now. The famous views are partly obscured and it looks like a bad smog day in Beijing or Mexico City. One route into the Valley (SR 140) is intermittently closed as the fire shifts closer but the Park is still open. Just be aware that breathing and scenery are not what they would be in better times.
Old Jul 24, 18, 7:10 pm

The NPS has announced that Yosemite Valley, Wawona and the Mariposa Grove will all be closed as of July 25 through at least July 29. The Glacier Point Road is already closed so the campgrounds there can be used as fire camps. For those passing through, the Tioga Road, Tuolumne Meadows, the Tioga Pass entrance and Hetch Hechy remain open for now.

The Ferguson Fire is moving quite close to the western boundary of the Park and is still not contained. Many of the roads in and around the Park are being used by emergency vehicles and many local residents are under mandatory evacuation orders.

Smoke is heavy in the area and even down into the Central Valley. I have curtailed my morning jogs because it is uncomfortable to breathe heavily. Probably a good time to stay away, folks.
Old Jul 28, 18, 11:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edited to add that the NPS has extended the closure through at least Sunday, August 5, no time specified. In addition there are other closures. From the NPS website: "Mariposa Grove, and South Entrance are closed indefinitely. Tioga Road, Tuolumne Meadows, Big Oak Flat Entrance, and Tioga Pass Entrance are open. Hetch Hetchy is also closed."

************************************************** ***************************************

The LA Times is reporting that the Valley will be closed at least until 4pm on Friday, August 3.

Ferguson fire will keep popular parts of Yosemite closed through Aug. 3

Last edited by RichardInSF; Aug 1, 18 at 1:48 pm
Old Aug 3, 18, 1:02 am

As of today, they also closed SR 120 which means there is no way into Yosemite from the west side for now. I don't know if they are going to make the 8/3 opening either. The fire is still pretty bad and there are still some mandatory evacuations. There have been at least 2 firefighters killed.
Old Aug 5, 18, 7:09 pm

Closure has now been extended to "indefinite."
Old Oct 25, 18, 6:45 pm

Well, it has happened again. We lost a couple of tourists who apparently went over the edge at Taft Point.

I know I don't have to make this point here, with the experienced travelers, but - Please Folks! Don't climb over the railing or restraints. Yosemite (and any wilderness area) might seem like an amusement park, with all the tourists and concessions but it is not. It is a wild place and you can die if you don't respect that. A 3500 foot free fall to the bottom would give one over 30 seconds to contemplate such things. It is not yet known if it was a simple slip and fall or a base jump gone wrong.

Please be careful.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Oct 25, 18 at 8:32 pm
Old Oct 25, 18, 7:20 pm
Community Director

OK, so this has nothing to do with conditions at Yosemite, but this seems the best thread to mention it. A stunning movie about free climbing El Capitan has just been released. I believe that the climb was in 2017. Free Solo is now at our local theatre and others.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: