Reload this Page >

United flight lands despite SAN runway closure

Old Mar 15, 18, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold

SAN has been closing its runway from 12-5am for the past several months as part of construction work, or so I thought.

Anyway, UA683 apparently had to divert to Phoenix last night and finally arrived at SAN during the supposed closure. Was runway work not occurring that evening or did they delay it until after the flight arrived?
Old Mar 23, 18, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
United dispatch probably called the airport ops directly and asked if they could accommodate the late arriving flight. Sounds like they were given permission to land.
Old Apr 12, 18, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
SAN has been closing its runway from 12-5am for the past several months as part of construction work, or so I thought.

Anyway, UA683 apparently had to divert to Phoenix last night and finally arrived at SAN during the supposed closure. Was runway work not occurring that evening or did they delay it until after the flight arrived?

they close not for construction but for how close it is to a residential area. they also don't allow take off's till 6 or 630. you might push but you won't take off.
Old Apr 12, 18, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by met19 View Post
they close not for construction but for how close it is to a residential area. they also don't allow take off's till 6 or 630. you might push but you won't take off.
I'm well aware of the takeoff restriction. However, the normal 24/7 landing hours have supposedly been suspended due to construction but flights are still landing anyway. There probably is some buffer to account for minor delays, hence why those landings were still allowed.
Old May 12, 18, 5:24 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
United dispatch probably called the airport ops directly and asked if they could accommodate the late arriving flight. Sounds like they were given permission to land.
I bet this is exactly what they did. But I wonder if they had to pay a noise fine too?
Old May 12, 18, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
I bet this is exactly what they did. But I wonder if they had to pay a noise fine too?
Only takeoffs past midnight are subject to the fine.
Old May 12, 18, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Only takeoffs past midnight are subject to the fine.
Didn't know that - thanks

Search this Thread