Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Work trip to Vista/NW SD County - SAN or SNA?

Old Jan 11, 18, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Marco Polo Green (hahaha)

I'm headed to Vista (Northwestern San Diego County) for work in a few months and was wondering if anyone here had thoughts about which airport I should fly into. Prices are similar for both and from Portland, there are convenient non stop flights to both. My main concern is the traffic to/from the airports and just checking Google Maps, it looks like traffic conditions may be better to SNA despite it being further away. I'm also familiar with SNA's rental car situation wherein the cars are located a walking distance from the terminal but it looks like at SAN, one has to take a shuttle. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 12, 18, 11:17 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You definitely have to shuttle to rental cars at SAN and for anything other than the majors, that shuttle ride can be a long one.

But it's hard to believe that traffic would be at all light from SNA going south.
Old Jan 12, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Marriott - Peon; Hilton/HI: SubPeon
Looking on the map, it looks like you are about equidistant in time from SAN or SNA to Vista. If anything, slightly longer from SNA (by about 5 minutes, and 8 miles further, with clear traffic). The traffic can be fairly snarly in either direction, mainly in SD around the airport/downtown, and from SNA in various places you can expect a slowdown.

If the car pickup time is an issue, SNA is definitely the one to choose. I am not familiar with SAN but the passage through SNA is fast and easy, and the baggage handling, if you're checking a bag, pretty efficient.

You also get a fairly scenic drive down the coast from SNA, past Oceanside and Camp Pendleton!

I'd probably choose SNA myself although as I say, am not familiar with SAN.

Last edited by tanglin; Jan 12, 18 at 2:36 pm Reason: Punctuation...
Old Jan 15, 18, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and most importantly, the reassurance that I am not crazy for considering SNA. I am leaning towards SNA at this point and I think as long as I leave early enough for SNA from Vista, we should be fine to catch our flight.
Old Jan 16, 18, 10:43 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage PPRO, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Either way, you'll be going against traffic in the evening if that's when your return flight is. Everything else is close to a push, so I'd take SNA based on ease of car rental.
Old Jan 18, 18, 8:48 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
If you meeting is South of Camp Pendleton fly into SAN! There is a bunch of construction north of Pendleton that is brutal either way but if you can avoid it I would.

The new rental car complex at SAN is a bus ride away but it's on a private road (no stop lights) and really efficient.
Old Jan 22, 18, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, DL Silver, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, National Exec
If you're flying in early, I would say SAN because the I-5 N is a breeze in the AM compared to coming down from SNA. If you're flying in any time after 11, I would go SNA.
Old Jan 22, 18, 7:08 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Threads like this remind me it's such a shame there is no more UA service to CLD! That was a really useful route.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 18, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Threads like this remind me it's such a shame there is no more UA service to CLD! That was a really useful route.
Yeah, I looked at CLD too but quickly realised that there was no longer service. I think our hotel is less than ten minutes away, so it would've been nice.

FWIW, I did book into SNA. Wish me luck!
Old Jan 25, 18, 11:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs View Post
Yeah, I looked at CLD too but quickly realised that there was no longer service. I think our hotel is less than ten minutes away, so it would've been nice.

FWIW, I did book into SNA. Wish me luck!
There is an outfit called Cal Jet Elite which appears to wet lease two CR7s from Elite Airways and runs CLD-LAS. I'm not holding my breath.
I have friends who live up in the CLD area and they agree it's a pretty even pick between SAN and SNA. The one downside to the northbound trip to SNA is not knowing whether the border patrol checkpoint at San Clemente will be active and causing traffic issues.
Old Jan 27, 18, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mizzou65201 View Post
There is an outfit called Cal Jet Elite which appears to wet lease two CR7s from Elite Airways and runs CLD-LAS. I'm not holding my breath.
I have friends who live up in the CLD area and they agree it's a pretty even pick between SAN and SNA. The one downside to the northbound trip to SNA is not knowing whether the border patrol checkpoint at San Clemente will be active and causing traffic issues.
I feel like that checkpoint isn't open all that often these days based on my recent experiences doing that drive. At least compared to the one on I-8 in East County anyway.

Search this Thread