Flights from Monterey to LA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights from Monterey to LA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Looks like I made a mistake. My sister typically had driven from her home extreme Northern SLO county to our old home in Santa Barbara in 4 or 5 hours. I added two hours to that for Santa Barbara to LA. The shortest route is route 5 which totally bypasses Santa Barbara and takes 3 hours and 50 minutes. Would have driven if I had known that I would be taking route 5 and that it would have been a 4 hour drive. Bought tickets from Monterey about 1 week ago which ended up costing about $515. Since I am staying with my sister and not using a motel for about a week, still feel like trip is bargain. However, wasted money here.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 hour drive in perfect traffic conditions.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Talked to a friend of mine who lives in California. He says route 5 includes the grapevine and that around Christmas, you never know whether it will snow at that time. (Said his son would drive from Ventura to Fresno around Christmas, and they never knew whether there would be a problem crossing the grapevine.) Think the airplane is right for me.

Last edited by DaileyB; Nov 2, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The Grapevine is rarely snowed out. Maybe once or twice a winter.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

TWA "The Grapevine is rarely snowed out. Maybe once or twice a winter." You and my friend have different impressions. My friend, who is an old college roommate, lived in Fresno and his son went to school in Ventura. Said it was always dicey whether his son would make it for Christmas and that it was totally unpredictable when the snow would fall. Also, my friend quite often drove on Rte. 5 himself. In any event, since I bought the tickets and there is some risk of snow, I will take the plane. (I was seriously considering ditching the plane and just driving, which would have ultimately cost me maybe an extra $300 when considering savings on rental cars and the parking at the airport)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.