CA weather

Old Feb 28, 17, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More IHG
CA weather

What are the current outlooks of the weather situation in CA on King's Canyon and Sequoia national forest? Any closures to expect in April?
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Note that some roads, such as 120 through Yosemite close for the winter, and this year, that could be through at least May.
Old Mar 1, 17, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Note that some roads, such as 120 through Yosemite close for the winter, and this year, that could be through at least May.
To clarify for our visitors, the highest portion of Hwy. 120 closes for the winter each year. It is normally open all the way to Crane Flat in Yosemite National Park. It's the most direct route to Yosemite from the SF Bay Area. This year it has had some problems and closures due to storm damage. Hwy. 140 is the alternate route, longer by 30-40 minutes.

I just noticed that Hwy. 41 is also closed south of Yosemite. Wow -- Hwy. 140 is now the only way in/out.
Old Mar 1, 17, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Have you read the National Park Service page for road conditions at Sequoia Kings Canyon? https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvis...conditions.htm

Check sites like this for reasonably up to date information. Understand that when you see the date a road usually opens after the winter, that is a historical average while this winter has delivered far above average snowfall. Roads at high elevation are likely to open later this spring than usual.
Old Mar 1, 17, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Koja78 View Post
What are the current outlooks of the weather situation in CA on King's Canyon and Sequoia national forest? Any closures to expect in April?
California, and most of the U.S, are having an extraordinary, bizarre winter. Any attempt to say what road conditions in the Sierras will be like a month from now is pure speculation.Right now there is a tremendous quantity of snow in the area: if stays cold, there could be even more snow closing more roads. If it warms up, there could be rain, which could melt the snow and cause either flooding or land or mud slides. Or it could be bright and sunny and the snow simply melt away. It's too soon to make plans for that area this year.

The best thing to do is monitor the both the National Park website and the DOT site linked above as your travel gets close.
Old Mar 2, 17, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More IHG
so linked to that.. should we pre-book motels in april or not.. with all the issues currently.. I lean towards not.. but I don't want to run out of options.
Old Mar 2, 17, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Koja78 View Post
so linked to that.. should we pre-book motels in april or not.. with all the issues currently.. I lean towards not.. but I don't want to run out of options.
I would prebook but check cancellation policies very carefully. Often you can find rooms that allow a cancellation up to 24 hours before check-in time without a penalty. That gives you a good chance at getting what you want but allows flexibly if close to the date the weather is a problem.

Search this Thread