Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Koryo at SAN

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Air Koryo at SAN

I flew into SAN on Sunday, December 18 at about 2 pm. As I was leaving the airport I noticed a Hawaiian Airlines 777 on the taxiway and next to it was an Air Koryo plane from North Korea. I am 99% sure that is what I saw and my wife is as well. I emailed SAN to ask them about it and they replied with a simple "we have no record of Air Koryo landing at SAN." Did anybody else see this plane?!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CASAN
I flew into SAN on Sunday, December 18 at about 2 pm. As I was leaving the airport I noticed a Hawaiian Airlines 777 on the taxiway and next to it was an Air Koryo plane from North Korea. I am 99% sure that is what I saw and my wife is as well. I emailed SAN to ask them about it and they replied with a simple "we have no record of Air Koryo landing at SAN." Did anybody else see this plane?!
HA does not fly 777s:

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/H...20Airlines.htm

Next time, take a picture.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by CASAN
I flew into SAN on Sunday, December 18 at about 2 pm. ...
Despite the rather terse response above, welcome to Flyer Talk.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Despite the rather terse response above, welcome to Flyer Talk.
Ha! Thank you.

I almost got in my car when I got home and went back to the airport to take a photo because it seemed so out of place. I was sure some other person or news source would have brought it up, but I have not seen anything. I even created an account here after all these years of creeping to see if anybody else could make sense of it.

HA was a 330, not a 777. My apologies.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:51 pm

There was a United Arab Emirates 777-200 that landed around the same time as you. The livery looks like it could be mistaken for Air Koryo: http://bit.ly/2hApwxy

Last edited by Hawaiian717; Dec 29, 2016 at 3:52 pm Reason: Facebook link doesn't work? Trying bit.ly
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Almost an exact match. I suspect that is mystery solved.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Found it on Flightaware: Amiri Flight 3 (AUH3) flew SAN-EGSS (London Stansted), departing SAN Monday 12/19 at 12:28pm.

Looks very similar to the Air Koryo livery:

An actual Air Koryo plane:
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy. I have not seen that livery on a UAE plane before. I knew this was the place to ask. Being wrong never felt so good.

Curtis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.