Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:47 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear Yosemite Valley is open again.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I hear Yosemite Valley is open again.
As of 1/12, only via SR 41 from Fresno/Oakhurst. SR 120 and 140 remain closed due to road and bridge damage. They are working frantically to get it repaired since 41 goes to a much higher elevation and can be pretty icy in winter.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:55 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh dear. The next round of storms is supposed to arrive starting tomorrow!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It also reduces the chance that staff will have to expend time, effort, and risk rescuing some dumb-dumb who heard only "It's open" and didn't listen to any of the cautions.
This.

Plus park employees have no way of knowing the skill level of the driver they're talking to. What someone experienced in winter driving conditions could safely handle is different from the foreign visitor who has never driven on snow could handle.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
This.

Plus park employees have no way of knowing the skill level of the driver they're talking to. What someone experienced in winter driving conditions could safely handle is different from the foreign visitor who has never driven on snow could handle.
Yeah, usually they try to be on the safer side because they don't know your driving background. But if you press them they never really say no. They just want to give you ample warning.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pon18n
Yeah, usually they try to be on the safer side because they don't know your driving background. But if you press them they never really say no. They just want to give you ample warning.
Usually I can get the information I want to make an informed personal decision by pressing the question a bit, explaining that I'm an experienced driver/hiker/whatever. Having the right kind of equipment visible helps. At least 25% of the time, though, the employee just keeps saying no and adding warnings of doom that are not credible. In those cases I either have to try my luck with another employee or-- quite often-- go out and try it myself.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:50 pm

Usually I can get the information I want to make an informed personal decision by pressing the question a bit, explaining that I'm an experienced driver/hiker/whatever. Having the right kind of equipment visible helps. At least 25% of the time, though, the employee just keeps saying no and adding warnings of doom that are not credible. In those cases I either have to try my luck with another employee or-- quite often-- go out and try it myself.
To be fair, it's their job to give you ample warning. What you choose to do despite their best attempt is your own business.

Can't exactly blame them for being pessimistic.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by pon18n
To be fair, it's their job to give you ample warning. What you choose to do despite their best attempt is your own business.
No, that's not fair. Their job should be to give me factual information. Attempting to convince me of something by other means is lazy, dishonest, or both.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:02 pm

No, that's not fair. Their job should be to give me factual information. Attempting to convince me of something by other means is lazy, dishonest, or both.
Nope, don't agree with that perspective at all. Their #1 job is to protect the park and/or natural resources - see their statement on nps.gov. Officially, secondary to that is making the park available for the "enjoyment, education, and inspiration" of visitors. From my brief stint working in Yellowstone, I will tell you many park service employees say the biggest, and hardest, part of the job is protecting visitors from their own stupidity.

Say you call to ask about road conditions in Yosemite. The person answering the phone doesn't necessarily have up to the minute data on the roads because getting that at all times just ins't possible. Snow may still be falling, roads not plowed or treated. There are many areas that have frequent snow/rock/mud slides. There's a major temperature change predicted that will impact road conditions. Yosemite is a large park ranged across steep mountains and hidden valleys; there is no way they can tell you exactly what is happening on every part of the roads during winter so they may give you their best understanding of both current conditions and probably short term changes, and they're probably praying they don't have a fool on the phone who will try the mountain roads in the dark, without chains, etc. Yes, they may try to deter you from certain actions, but the park service's concern is the big picture - your welfare, the safety of the employees who have to try to rescue people who get into dangerous situations, and preservation of park resources.

Calling their actions "lazy, dishonest, or both" is just over the top nasty.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:01 pm

This.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

Please let's get back on topic, that is Yosemite National Park road conditions and closures.

Thank you,

TWA884
Moderator, California
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:31 pm

Nope, don't agree with that perspective at all. Their #1 job is to protect the park and/or natural resources - see their statement on nps.gov. Officially, secondary to that is making the park available for the "enjoyment, education, and inspiration" of visitors. From my brief stint working in Yellowstone, I will tell you many park service employees say the biggest, and hardest, part of the job is protecting visitors from their own stupidity.

Say you call to ask about road conditions in Yosemite. The person answering the phone doesn't necessarily have up to the minute data on the roads because getting that at all times just ins't possible. Snow may still be falling, roads not plowed or treated. There are many areas that have frequent snow/rock/mud slides. There's a major temperature change predicted that will impact road conditions. Yosemite is a large park ranged across steep mountains and hidden valleys; there is no way they can tell you exactly what is happening on every part of the roads during winter so they may give you their best understanding of both current conditions and probably short term changes, and they're probably praying they don't have a fool on the phone who will try the mountain roads in the dark, without chains, etc. Yes, they may try to deter you from certain actions, but the park service's concern is the big picture - your welfare, the safety of the employees who have to try to rescue people who get into dangerous situations, and preservation of park resources.

Nice story, bro, but not what I was responding to.

Coming up with a new hypothetical situation and portraying that as what I was discussing is... well, lazy, dishonest or both.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Reminder:

Originally Posted by TWA884
Please let's get back on topic, that is Yosemite National Park road conditions and closures.

Thank you,

TWA884
Moderator, California
In case that I was not clear, do not post anything in this thread that is not directly related to Yosemite National Park road conditions and closures.

If you wish to argue about park rangers job descriptions, please feel free to take that discussion to OMNI.

Future off topic messages will be summarily deleted. Repeated violators will earn time off without further warnings.

Thank you for understanding.

TWA884

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 22, 2017 at 12:03 am
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Poster

SR 41 from Fresno to the south entrance of Yosemite National Park is now closed completely, as of February 21, 2017, due to a washout of the road surface between Fish Camp and the Park entrance. Repairs expected to take a minimum of a week but could be much longer. More storms coming in this week.

All travelers on Highway 41 bound for Yosemite are being detoured at Oakhurst onto Highway 49 to Mariposa and the SR 140 route.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Just heard this morning that Highway 120 to Yosemite is now also closed for storm repairs.

This means that as of February 23, the only open route to Yosemite is via Highway 140.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.